1964 Draft

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

While looking up draft classes, I stumbled upon some Bills history I did not know.  How many knew in 1964 the Bills drafted both Carl Eller and Paul Warfield? Neither would sign with the Bills. Eller was drafted by Minnesota and Warfield by Cleveland and both chose NFL over AFL. 

Eller played 16 years in the NFL from 1964-1979. 15 with Minnesota and one with Seattle. Zero league championships. He could have been a world champion twice had he signed with Buffalo. Tsk, tsk.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ernie D didn’t get hurt, he contracte leukemia.  Really sad story with his childhood.  What he accomplished in college, it’s no surprise they made a movie about him.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was at a Jefferson Airplane concert at SU when some idiot stole Ernie Davis’s Heisman Trophy. It was on display at Manley Field House. It was later returned.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I wasn't in Buffalo and wasn't much of a Braves fan, but my brother kept telling me about McAdoo.   Finally, on a visit to Buffalo, I went to a game, and I was amazed at this unique talent who simply didn't fit into the game at all.   He was a the modern big power forward, a KD or a KG.   Ramsay did what he could, but McAdoo just didn't fit.   If people think about Iverson, how undisciplined he seemed, how brilliant but somehow not quite right for the game, it was the same thing.  Iverson would be a top-5 star today, and McAdoo too.  

Yup, McAdoo was before his time, but there was one thing he could do way better than Durant - rebound. I think he averaged 15+ /game along with 30+ points in ‘74, his MVP season. The guy was relentless on the boards; so fun to watch! 

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ernie D didn’t get hurt, he contracte leukemia.  Really sad story with his childhood.  What he accomplished in college, it’s no surprise they made a movie about him.

Actually, if it hasn't already been noted, Ernie suffered a severe knee injury in his second year in Buffalo which destroyed his effectiveness.  Not sure when the leukemia came into play, but I do believe that was farther down the road. 

"DiGregorio only played 31 games in the 1974-75 season because of severe knee injuries, a 50 game drop from his 1973-74 campaign. Despite this, Bob McAdoo won the MVP while averaging 34.5 PPG and 14.1 REB. The Braves' record jumped up seven wins from their previous season, and they made the playoffs again. However, they were bounced in the first round.

Ernie's numbers dropped across the board in this season, with his PPG being nearly cut in half to 7.8 and his assist numbers falling to 4.9 per game. In the next season, his numbers stayed around the same, except for the fact that Ernie managed to play 67 games in that season. Then in the 1976-77 season, he played 81 games and reclaimed his free throw title, making 94.5% of his shots at the charity stripe that year.

But still, his other stats were lackluster when compared to his rookie numbers. His PPG was at 10.7 in this '77 season, with his assists being just as average at a 4.7 mark."

https://aminoapps.com/c/nba/page/blog/ernie-digregorio-the-unknown-what-if-of-the-1970s/j064_1QQcKu8lrJoaK76bkpe8aoMWbLY5rb 

8 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Actually, if it hasn't already been noted, Ernie suffered a severe knee injury in his second year in Buffalo which destroyed his effectiveness.  Not sure when the leukemia came into play, but I do believe that was farther down the road. 

"DiGregorio only played 31 games in the 1974-75 season because of severe knee injuries, a 50 game drop from his 1973-74 campaign. Despite this, Bob McAdoo won the MVP while averaging 34.5 PPG and 14.1 REB. The Braves' record jumped up seven wins from their previous season, and they made the playoffs again. However, they were bounced in the first round.

Ernie's numbers dropped across the board in this season, with his PPG being nearly cut in half to 7.8 and his assist numbers falling to 4.9 per game. In the next season, his numbers stayed around the same, except for the fact that Ernie managed to play 67 games in that season. Then in the 1976-77 season, he played 81 games and reclaimed his free throw title, making 94.5% of his shots at the charity stripe that year.

But still, his other stats were lackluster when compared to his rookie numbers. His PPG was at 10.7 in this '77 season, with his assists being just as average at a 4.7 mark."

https://aminoapps.com/c/nba/page/blog/ernie-digregorio-the-unknown-what-if-of-the-1970s/j064_1QQcKu8lrJoaK76bkpe8aoMWbLY5rb 

This was my mistake as I thought the other poster was referring to Ernie Davis, not Ernie D.  Davis had leukemia which is why he never played for the Browns in the early 60’s.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Wasn’t Warfield a running back that got converted to WR in the pros?

He started playing receiver his senior year in college, when he had about 60 carries and about 20 receptions.  When he was drafted, everyone knew he was a receiver.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 9:15 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Don't get me started man.  The Buffalo Braves were on the cusp of greatness.  But Canisius owned the Aud, John Y Brown decided he couldn't make any money here, so he pulled up stakes.  I curse the LA Clippers, and hope they never win an NBA title.  Unless, of course, the NBA decides to make it right and come back, then I'm all-in.

we are NBA orphans.  I was conflicted, do I cheer for Clippers?  I did for a bit, and felt dirty.  So I started liking the Supersonics.  I got back into watching basktball for awhile, then the Sonics moved to OKC.    I was born in Oklahoma City,  So I guess Im a OKC fan. 

NFL

Champions League

NHL

MLB

Basketball

^thats my rankings of leagues

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.