Ideas for development around new stadium

mjd1001

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to develop anyplace other than right at the stadium, like the Packers did.   If you're going to build a hotel to serve tourists who want to see a museum and fans who want to attend a game, the hotel and the museum all should be right there, not a mile away, not where people need to take a shuttle bus between hotel and stadium or museum and stadium.  No long walks.  It needs to be one complete destination, not two separate destinations.  

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Only if there is room left over after we add the iconic Applebee’s and Dave & Buster’s. That’s what we are know for, after all. 

The area is too remote to build much around it. I just can’t see it. Use the space for nearby parking. 

hold me diiiiiiicccckkk marshawn lynch GIF

Did you say a Dave & Busters in Orchard Park???   #MarshawnLynchCan'twait!!! 😂

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The problem with putting anything around the stadium has to do with where the stadium is located. Who is going to drive out to Orchard Park when the Bills aren’t playing? Limits possibilities for anything. This was the major Con to building the stadium in Orchard Park

To be perfectly honest, downtown buffalo is the same way.  If there isn't some event to draw folks in from the suburbs, it's pretty much dead as a door nail.  

There needs to be fortune 500 anchor tenant(s) there resulting in people actually residing in and spending downtown

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Tim Hortons, Delta Sonic, and call it a day.

You might be right on those. I’m always fascinated at development, or lack thereof around nfl stadiums. In Arlington TX they don’t have much around at@t stadium, unless you count the Walmart, cici’s, or Taco Bell. In Kansas City there is no development around arrowhead, etc… Its always a selling point: all these businesses will come if you build a stadium. I’ve not seen the fruit of that at most nfl venues

Edited by major
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I heard from a friend that the location of the museum will be Dunkirk, and they will build a monorail between the stadium and museum.

Don't shoot the messenger. 

I heard it was Niagara Falls.

Looking at the map, I see heavy rail between I-90 and NY-5.  I wonder how hard it would be to build a 2 mile extension from the stadium to that and run a shuttle train between there and downtown.

That would solve a number of issues with parking, lack of lodging in the area, and drunk drivers that inevitably do stupid things after the game.  The Bills attract a lot of out-of-towners given the migration out of WNY and they really need some lodging that isn't a significant drive away.  Personally, I would really like to have something like this.

Edited by sullim4
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Even near Boston with the money and population around there it is an iffy proposition.  I lived in that area in the past, my work office is about 10 minutes from Patriot Place, and when we vacation or visit friends in the area we stop by on occasion.  Not on gameday, but on an average typical weekday, its open but it isn't that busy. Over the years, a lot of shops have come and gone.  

Unless you live right near it, the shine has kinda worn off of it over the years. If you want nightlife, entertainment, or even a fun meal out, The Seaport District in Boston seems to be the new 'in' place to be.

I'm sure its great on gamedays or when events are going on, but I'd say 60% or more of time its pretty dead.  And that is in the Suburbs of Boston (not to mention Providence  RI being less than an hour away also.).  I agree something that size wouldn't do well in OP.

Yep! That’s why they had to add medical offices to get people out there.

Patriot Place sucks and is dead most of the time.

19 hours ago, major said:

You might be right on those. I’m always fascinated at development, or lack thereof around nfl stadiums. In Arlington TX they don’t have much around at@t stadium, unless you count the Walmart, cici’s, or Taco Bell. In Kansas City there is no development around arrowhead, etc… Its always a selling point: all these businesses will come if you build a stadium. I’ve not seen the fruit of that at most nfl venues

I don't know about the others, but in Arlington, there's a ton of stuff surrounding the entire place. That's not to mention all the stuff going on inside that massive stadium, and the fact it can be used all year for tons of other events due to its roof.

Every time I've been there outside of football, we end up spending the day doing stuff in that area. Similar to the American Airlines Center each time I would see a Mavs game, there's a lot to do in the surrounding area just being in close proximity to everything else.

I don't have great knowledge of the surrounding area in Orchard Park, but I can't even remember a single thing in the area besides neighborhoods. Every time I traveled to Buffalo to watch a game, we never did anything around the stadium because the area felt empty.

IMO the best chance to have activity around the new stadium on non game days and in the off season, it to have an attached Bills HoF, large stadium store, and stadium tours.  

Anything more than that beyond the handful of restaurants that already exist is a bit of a pipe dream. 

• Like (+1) 1

OP is a sleepy place, and will remain so no matter what you build around the stadium.

Too bad building a downtown stadium would have cost an additional billion more (and God knows the inevitable lawsuits, no actual construction until 2030).. downtown would otherwise be great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.