Darius Slayton

cdubya

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Just noticed Slaytons 2.5m cap hit.  If trading for him will add 2.5M to the cap, pass.  Hope he gets waived and sign him

like i said earlier in the thread, i see very little upside with this guy, but if your scenario plays out sure why not.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If we are going to bring in a veteran I would rather see Jason peters

If we lose dawkins for any amount of time we are in serious trouble

If Peters could play LT competently at his age, he'd be signed already.  And if he can and isn't signed, it's because he wants too much money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

We should have waited until the 6th to try to draft Josh.

Say what you will. 

The truth is anyone arguing that the round a guy is picked shows he's good or bad just doesn't get it.

That goes either way. You can't use a first round pick to show the guy will be a success, and you can't use a late round pick to show he'll be a failure.

The round a guy is picked is super-important right up to draft day. After you're picked, it's all how you perform.

The reason your argument here is pulling so much crap is because it's simply a stupid argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If Peters could play LT competently at his age, he'd be signed already.  And if he can and isn't signed, it's because he wants too much money.

Last year Peters played on a one-year $1.075M contract. I don't think money is going to be the problem, not when you're signing him in August.

And Peters did play a solid competent 2021 at LT for the Bears. Played 15 games competently.

There are many reasons competent guys might not be signed already beyond competence and money. Teams might want to give their current youngsters playing time, they might have a guy as good as Peters who they want to groom and give experience to. They might figure since Peters is still available now, he will probably still be available in case of injury. They might figure older guys are injury prone and want to bring in a younger guy.

I don't think they'll bring in Peters, but my guess is he's still plenty competent. For how long is a very legitimate question, of course.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Just noticed Slaytons 2.5m cap hit.  If trading for him will add 2.5M to the cap, pass.  Hope he gets waived and sign him

This is what I think stops the deal from happening. It's also why the Giants may end up getting rid of him.

If they even like Slayton, this is one of the main reasons they're not likely to trade for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Outside speed may not be the end all missing piece for Dorsey's offense.
 Bills might be very focused on RAC this season to win games.
and yes I do have an eye on this Shakir Kid :D

Every move says it’s true… and it’s an interesting response to the cover two high shell a lot of teams play anyway. speed will not help that, punishing the d for playing off with RAC will though. It’s exciting to think about, Diggs, faster stronger Davis, McKenzie, Knox, Cook as a personnel group. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

But is he worth 2.5M?

That is only an additional $1.4m over Kumerow. And yes, I think he is worth that salary bump. Obviously you only do that if you are of the view that Taiwan Jones remains ahead of Kumerow as a gunner. The Bills seemed to think it was close towards the end of last season but I suspect gun to head they would still go with Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, gobills404 said:

If he can contribute on special teams I’d 100% take him over Kumerow

12 STs snaps in 2019, 3 in 2020 and zero in 2021. And around $1.4M more expensive than Kumerow.

$1.4M is about 40% of their remaining cap space. They don't seem eager to kick more cans down the road and weaken their position next year.

The Bills love Kumerow for STs.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see another WR brought in if they feel they need one, and particularly in case of injuries, but I'm betting if they do, he'll be cheapish. I'm wondering if it might be Sanders.

But my guess is they feel that in case of injury they could play a mix of Crowder, Shakir, maybe Kumerow and whoever's on the roster / practice squad. Maybe a lot of two TE formations or other groups.

They'd like to bring someone in all being equal and the right guy being available. But they don't seem to think it's a necessity. Maybe they'll change their mind at some point but right now that seems to be where they're at.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Last year Peters played on a one-year $1.075M contract. I don't think money is going to be the problem, not when you're signing him in August.

And Peters did play a solid competent 2021 at LT for the Bears. Played 15 games competently.

There are many reasons competent guys might not be signed already beyond competence and money. Teams might want to give their current youngsters playing time, they might have a guy as good as Peters who they want to groom and give experience to. They might figure since Peters is still available now, he will probably still be available in case of injury. They might figure older guys are injury prone and want to bring in a younger guy.

He got paid backup money last year.  If that's all he's looking for, he definitely would have been signed to at least be a backup who can play LT competently as a starter.  So something is off there.  Either he wants too much money this year since he took a discount last year or teams don't think he's got it anymore.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Say what you will. 

The truth is anyone arguing that the round a guy is picked shows he's good or bad just doesn't get it.

That goes either way. You can't use a first round pick to show the guy will be a success, and you can't use a late round pick to show he'll be a failure.

The round a guy is picked is super-important right up to draft day. After you're picked, it's all how you perform.

The reason your argument here is pulling so much crap is because it's simply a stupid argument.

Isaiah Hodgins’ march to the HoF begins today. He’s better than Jamarr Chase, because the rounds you get drafted don’t matter according to the experts on this board lmao. 

• Eyeroll 1

These threads about every possible person to say “hey let’s add him reminds me of”

Shakir is having a nice camp.  It’s obvious we are set with Diggs, Davis, and McKenzie.  Kumerow most likely for ST and an outside depth option.  The last guy is a dogfight if we keep 6 in Austin, or Crowder.  Not sure if they want to go 7 this year as Cook is also brought on this team for the passing game.

Lastly, there is always Knox and although Howard has been reported as underwhelming, they may see a red zone fit for him where speed is not as important as just getting open and using his body to create the seam.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If he's taking 3rd teak reps with the Giants, how could he get on with our team? We gotta much better skilled and deeper WR pool

Different team, different WR skills. 

We have speed in the slot with McKenzie, but while Diggs/Davis are deep threats, they’re not burners.  Slayton has made plays in this league.  

Shakir shows promise as rotational outside depth, but I wouldn’t mind him having to beat out someone like Slayton for playing time over Kumerow or Hodgins. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Different team, different WR skills. 

We have speed in the slot with McKenzie, but while Diggs/Davis are deep threats, they’re not burners.  Slayton has made plays in this league.  

Shakir shows promise as rotational outside depth, but I wouldn’t mind him having to beat out someone like Slayton for playing time over Kumerow or Hodgins. 

Got a point.  I was really high on Stevenson taking a leap this year and adding speed out there. Kinda disappointed he's injured 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.