Darius Slayton

cdubya

On 8/7/2022 at 3:17 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Where and when did Brandon Beane say this?

Just last week Brandon Beane said Shakir was a slot receiver and that they were thin outside and looking.

To quote your own self, "Where and when did Brandon Beane say this?" When did he say "Shakir was a slot"?

I miss things, so I suppose it's possible. If I missed it, I'd love to see a link. Show me a link where he said that.

What I've seen them say is that he may be primarily seen as a slot but that they're teaching him all the positions and that he's playing very well everywhere they put him and that he could see work in several places.

Just yesterday we got this:  "Offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey says he and the coaches are still getting to know Shakir’s skillset, particularly since the receiver missed some time during OTAs.

“'He's going to continue to grow in his role, and we're going to continue to find out what he can do, whether it's inside, outside or anything like that,' Dorsey said. “I don't ever want to handcuff any of our guys. I want to be able to kind of see all of what they can do.”

"Dorsey is also experimenting with all receivers as he molds the offense to his liking. It can be a lot to take in for a rookie such as Shakir, who’s already navigating the jump the NFL. But Shakir doesn’t mind that there’s still some ambiguity on what his role may be.

“'I just keep an open mind every single day,' Shakir said. 'I'm not really one to try to figure out what they're trying to do with me. It's more of just show up, and wherever they put me, wherever they need me, keep an open mind, and make sure that whatever spot they do put me in, I go and attack it with the right mindset and a level of intensity that stands out and shows when I'm out there on the field.'”

HERE'S THE LINK: https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/rookie-receiver-khalil-shakir-is-a-special-kid/article_53136244-15cb-11ed-9994-27542e85ff0a.amp.html

Chad Hall recently said pretty much the same thing, that he's running inside and outside, that he understands and performs very well at all of the positions and that his options are open.

HERE'S THE LINK: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chad-hall-on-the-slot-receiver-impact-in-the-bills-offense-bills-by-the-numbers-

Again, I'll wait to see if you have a link that says anything anywhere near as cut and dry as that he's a slot. If you do, I'll give you your due. But I haven't seen anything like it, and my guess is you can't find one.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

To quote your own self, "Where and when did Brandon Beane say this?" When did he say "Shakir was a slot"?

I miss things, so I suppose it's possible. If I missed it, I'd love to see a link. Show me a link where he said that.

What I've seen them say is that he may be primarily seen as a slot but that they're teaching him all the positions and that he's playing very well everywhere they put him and that he could see work in several places.

Just yesterday we got this:  "Offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey says he and the coaches are still getting to know Shakir’s skillset, particularly since the receiver missed some time during OTAs.

“'He's going to continue to grow in his role, and we're going to continue to find out what he can do, whether it's inside, outside or anything like that,' Dorsey said. “I don't ever want to handcuff any of our guys. I want to be able to kind of see all of what they can do.”

"Dorsey is also experimenting with all receivers as he molds the offense to his liking. It can be a lot to take in for a rookie such as Shakir, who’s already navigating the jump the NFL. But Shakir doesn’t mind that there’s still some ambiguity on what his role may be.

“'I just keep an open mind every single day,' Shakir said. 'I'm not really one to try to figure out what they're trying to do with me. It's more of just show up, and wherever they put me, wherever they need me, keep an open mind, and make sure that whatever spot they do put me in, I go and attack it with the right mindset and a level of intensity that stands out and shows when I'm out there on the field.'”

HERE'S THE LINK: https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/rookie-receiver-khalil-shakir-is-a-special-kid/article_53136244-15cb-11ed-9994-27542e85ff0a.amp.html

Chad Hall recently said pretty much the same thing, that he's running inside and outside, that he understands and performs very well at all of the positions and that his options are open.

HERE'S THE LINK: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/chad-hall-on-the-slot-receiver-impact-in-the-bills-offense-bills-by-the-numbers-

Again, I'll wait to see if you have a link that says anything anywhere near as cut and dry as that he's a slot. If you do, I'll give you your due. But I haven't seen anything like it, and my guess is you can't find one.

Beane's interview with Howard and Jeremy in the first couple of days of camp. It wasn't just the words it was the intonation. He was asked about Shakir.

Found the quote it was "he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

Interestingly when they ask him about outside depth after Diggs and Gabe the first name Beane gives is Jake Kumerow. That is their mindset. First guy in off the bench outside is Kumerow. That does concern me.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, ScottLaw said:

Like clockwork… this never gets old when somebody brings up a late round pick…. Brady is the absolute outlier. 

Antonio Brown before his transformation into his true calling as a rap artist was a 6th rounder.  You obviously make a good but obvious point that odds are slim that day three picks amount to much.  Diggs and Hill are the only two star WR's I can think of that went in the 5th round.  I see Shakir as a third round talent though who somehow slipped but odds are we're lucky if he can fill the Gabe Davis role as WR#4.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane's interview with Howard and Jeremy in the first couple of days of camp. It wasn't just the words it was the intonation. He was asked about Shakir.

Found the quote it was "he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

Interestingly when they ask him about outside depth after Diggs and Gabe the first name Beane gives is Jake Kumerow. That is their mindset. First guy in off the bench outside is Kumerow. That does concern me.

He implied that he’ll continue to look for outside depth but he kind of stopped himself from saying it. 

We're in a great position where we dont need Slayton, but if anyone ever were to miss significant time, then someone like Slayton would be a decent last minute stop gap. But outside of that, our team is just in a different place right now. In 2018-19, this would make sense, but 2022 i dont really see the need nor our desire for someone like him.

Its one of the deeper position groups we have. Still, i'm confident Beane & Company would look into it if they felt it could improve our team somehow.

Beane may have believed that slot was his primary position when he said that, not wanting to put too much on Shakir's plate, but they've been playing him outside more from what I've seen and he's been doing well.  With McK, Crowder and even Cook, seeing if he has what it takes to play outside makes sense, with the fall back being slot if he can't.

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He implied that he’ll continue to look for outside depth but he kind of stopped himself from saying it. 

So you are claiming he didn't say what he was quoted as saying?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Beane may have believed that slot was his primary position when he said that, not wanting to put too much on Shakir's plate, but they've been playing him outside more from what I've seen and he's been doing well.  With McK, Crowder and even Cook, seeing if he has what it takes to play outside makes sense, with the fall back being slot if he can't.

Or Beane may still believe that..........but since they don't have any depth outside someone has to take snaps there.

He said what he said only a matter of days ago.   

If having solid practices were any kind of definitive proof..........then you would be able to simply defend Jake Kumerow as BWR3...........his training camp last year was an all-timer.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you are claiming he didn't say what he was quoted as saying?

Or Beane may still believe that..........but since they don't have any depth outside someone has to take snaps there.

If having solid practices were any kind of definitive proof..........then you would be able to simply defend Jake Kumerow as BWR3...........his training camp last year was an all-timer.

He said “we’ll continue to” but stopped himself from finishing that sentence.

It sounded like he was going to say we’ll continue to look for outside WRs.

On 8/6/2022 at 3:24 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well you’re not spending 1st-2nd round on depth. 3,4,5 is middle rounds to me.

It is to most everyone who can count to seven, 1,2 / 3,4,5, / 6,7  😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IIRC, Beane said this about a week-and-a-half ago.  Sings can shange from day to day. 

And where did I say that having solid practices is definitive proof?  I didn't.  Again...since he's has solid practices on the outside and there's a dearth of them and a glut of slots, play him outside unless/until he proves he can't do it, and then put him back in the slot.  Belief means little and you don't know until you try.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, cdubya said:

Reports have Slayton playing third team snaps in camp and it seems he’s on the outs in New York. He’d be a great fit for what we need here. We’re obviously lacking at outside WR, he’s a proven deep threat, and he’s shown he can produce in this league even with a bad QB throwing to him.  I’m not paying much (or ideally anything) but I think he’s at least worth a long look. 

That's a first that I've heard that the Bills are lacking at the WR position seems to be one of their strongest rooms or anything i've read & have heard the draft picks are doing really good you might want to revisit that one .

Just now, T master said:

That's a first that I've heard that the Bills are lacking at the WR position seems to be one of their strongest rooms or anything i've read & have heard the draft picks are doing really good you might want to revisit that one .

They are lacking OUTSIDE receiver depth specifically. They have good depth in the slot. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

BADOL said "Brandon Beane said Shakir was a slot receiver."

Thought not.

Thanks for telling me where to find it. I went and listened.

I've got to say, while I think you fairly summarized things, I didn't think that saying Kumerow's name first meant they're assuming he'll be the first guy in. Sounded to me more like he's the first guy of the guys who are not also running time at the slot. "We feel as a veteran big guy that he can help us." That's not a commitment of any sort as to who'll be in first. The question specifically said that they were strong in the slot but what about outside depth. Seemed natural to me that Beane would first mention a guy who was not running in the slot. And he immediately then added in Crowder, Shakir, Hodgins. "We like the depth where we're at there."

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/hjs-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-1516265348

If you're right and they're thinking of Kumerow as first in there, that would concern me a bit too. 

And he did say, "Shakir had a nice day yesterday, I think position 1 for him is probably right now slot as well, but he can play outside, he's got some versatility."

Wouldn't be shocked to see them bring someone in, particularly in case of injury. 

Edited by Thurman#1

55 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Thought not.

I've got to say, while I think you fairly summarized things, I didn't think that saying Kumerow's name first meant they're assuming he'll be the first guy in. Sounded to me more like he's the first guy of the guys who are not also running time at the slot. "We feel as a veteran big guy that he can help us." That's not a commitment of any sort as to who'll be in first. The question specifically said that they were strong in the slot but what about outside depth. Seemed natural to me that Beane would first mention a guy who was not running in the slot. And he immediately then added in Crowder, Shakir, Hodgins. "We like the depth where we're at there."

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/hjs-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-1516265348

If you're right and they're thinking of Kumerow as first in there, that would concern me a bit too. 

And he did say, "Shakir had a nice day yesterday, I think position 1 for him is probably right now slot as well, but he can play outside, he's got some versatility."

Wouldn't be shocked to see them bring someone in, particularly in case of injury. 

I disagree on Kumerow. Think it was telling Beane went there first when outside depth came up. On Shakir I think they really want him to be versatile to do it all long term but this year I'd be very surprised if he gets heavy usage outside. He has to develop some for that. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Thought not.

Which Bills slot receiver that also returns kicks and punts would Beane say doesn't have "some versatility".............he said he was a slot receiver and in the same breath that they were heavy in the slot and were still looking for help outside.

@Big Turk claimed that the Bills felt otherwise than what Beane said.

At least that's what the quote says.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He said “we’ll continue to” but stopped himself from finishing that sentence.

It sounded like he was going to say we’ll continue to look for outside WRs.

So I ask again........are you claiming the quote is fake?  

As currently constructed, if Diggs or Davis go out, I expect to see more bunch formations, 2TE sets and more Gilliam.  Maybe some 2 rB sets.  They’ll get creative.  

Not sure if it was Dorsey or Hall that said they they’ve been playing the inside guys outside and the outside guys inside.  i doubt Kumerow will be getting a lot of snaps.  Some, sure.  We have a lot of more talented weapons than Kumerow and I expect them to be used more than Kumerow.  Dorsey will get creative.  

or maybe they’ll bring in another outside capable WR

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on Kumerow. Think it was telling Beane went there first when outside depth came up. On Shakir I think they really want him to be versatile to do it all long term but this year I'd be very surprised if he gets heavy usage outside. He has to develop some for that. 

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. Thought it was not clear why he went there first. Could easily have been because he's the only guy there who is clearly and only outside depth.

As for Shakir getting heavy usage outside, that's probably fair. Odds are against Kumerow doing so either, IMO. Diggs or Davis might not get hurt, for one thing.

If Diggs or Davis gets injured, my guess is we'll see them use a lot of different formations and personnel groups and a lot of different guys outside seeing what works.

And that the later in the season it is, the more Shakir would be used. Or that in case of an injury they bring someone else in, Sanders, perhaps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.