Latest Jerry Sullivan Article Shows Why He Doesn't Get "It", Bills Fans or Buffalo in General

jwhit34

Sully always has a negative waiting for the other shoe to drop writing style... enjoy it it while it lasts but it aint going very far attitude.  Maybe so, but that is not why I became a fan in 1969 as a three year old... before that who knows... its more just hometown team good or bad you stick with them... lived in DC, Cali and near NYC since HS and never switched allegiances... Jerry isnt Jerry unless that rain cloud is not following him close by... agreed good writer.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

Not reading through the thread, just adding my 2 cents. Sullivan is not as smart as he gives himself credit for, and he hates kittens. His writing is formulaic and tired, and the longer the Bills are successful the less relevant he becomes. He’s a one-trick hollow pony and a miserable human being. Toodles, Jerry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Anyone who grew up during that 17-year drought must feel envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today. They probably want to grab them by the collar and say, ‘You have no idea how good you have it! I suffered through Losman and Manuel and Edwards and Taylor and the bad Bledsoe, and Fitz at his worst.’

Winning one will make up for all of that.

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Well said! My theory on “Sully” is he’s actually a decent writer, but has worked so hard to brand himself as a curmudgeon that now he can’t get out of his own way when the city is experiencing success. What a sad existence… almost poetic.

Or does sully enjoy it when our bills lose so that he can tell everyone he was right? 🤔

11 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

At first I resisted clicking on Jerry Sullivan's latest article, "Josh Allen offers hope that makes Bills fans unburdened by past scars." But I did, and am glad I did. I have been reading his work for decades and like many here at TBD have and so many times just shake my head after reading his columns. He's a good writer but there's something missing in his work. 

Today I think I found it: He doesn't get it. For as long as he has lived and worked in the area, he really doesn't understand the community. 

Case in point: the following excerpt from the column:

That’s it. Once you have the franchise quarterback, all things are possible. Allen has allowed Bills fans to rise above the old fatalism. Sure, the loss to the Chiefs added another chapter to the chronicle of woe. But if anything, it made people more certain Allen would eventually win the big one, and maybe more than one.

It beats the alternative — trying to convince themselves that a dysfunctional organization with a parade of flawed quarterbacks might actually shock the world and make a title run, when it became yet another heroic run to 7-9 or 6-10.

Anyone who grew up during that 17-year drought must feel envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today. They probably want to grab them by the collar and say, ‘You have no idea how good you have it! I suffered through Losman and Manuel and Edwards and Taylor and the bad Bledsoe, and Fitz at his worst.’

The bolded sentence is what he doesn't understand about us and Buffalo. Us older Bills fans are not "envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today". We love seeing "those kids in the Allen jerseys today". Buffalonians stay in Buffalo because they love the area, love the people, and despite the challenges the area has had economically, weather, etc., part of that is our bond and our perpetual optimism makes that bond even stronger. Parents stay in the area and raise their kids in Buffalo because they think it's a great place to be and think their kids will have it even better than they did, and they want that for their kids. 

And that goes for the Bills and their fans. I am so excited for the next generation to experience hopefully a great run by this current iteration of the Bills, and how cool it will be for all those kids with Allen jerseys. Zero envy.

I spent the first half of my life in Buffalo and then moved to Rochester when I got married, and I love Rochester but Buffalo was, is and always will be special to me. It will always be a part of me, helped make me who I am today. The biggest thing I miss are the people. Almost 35 years later I still have my season tickets and love going to the games. I can't wait to one day celebrate a Super Bowl win with our kids, one who is a Bills fanatic. 

After all these years, it is too bad that Sullivan has not captured maybe the key component of what makes this community and Bills fans tick, and I find that as the missing piece in his writing. 

Damn I must be one of those kids that got an Allen jersey.  I am only 64 and it’s first jersey I have ever bought!

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes… it’s why his comment about people being envy of the kids with Josh Allen is false…. Fans would convince themselves(wrongly of course)every year how good this team would be…. There is no envy because they’d always find some bull ***** reason to be positive about the team.😅

I've never lived in Buffalo, but even I know that part is complete BS.

No matter when I went there, every Bills fan I came across was supportive & optimistic, never envious or jealous at all. There's no chance in hell that seeing young Bills fans excited makes them jealous, angry, bitter, or any negative emotion whatsoever.

If anything, they're probably bummed our fellow Bills fans who passed away during the drought didn't get to see the team finally make it back atop the division. That's the kind of Bills fan & Buffalonians I met. 🤗💯

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

At first I resisted clicking on Jerry Sullivan's latest article, "Josh Allen offers hope that makes Bills fans unburdened by past scars." But I did, and am glad I did. I have been reading his work for decades and like many here at TBD have and so many times just shake my head after reading his columns. He's a good writer but there's something missing in his work. 

Today I think I found it: He doesn't get it. For as long as he has lived and worked in the area, he really doesn't understand the community. 

Case in point: the following excerpt from the column:

That’s it. Once you have the franchise quarterback, all things are possible. Allen has allowed Bills fans to rise above the old fatalism. Sure, the loss to the Chiefs added another chapter to the chronicle of woe. But if anything, it made people more certain Allen would eventually win the big one, and maybe more than one.

It beats the alternative — trying to convince themselves that a dysfunctional organization with a parade of flawed quarterbacks might actually shock the world and make a title run, when it became yet another heroic run to 7-9 or 6-10.

The bolded sentence is what he doesn't understand about us and Buffalo. Us older Bills fans are not "envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today". We love seeing "those kids in the Allen jerseys today". Buffalonians stay in Buffalo because they love the area, love the people, and despite the challenges the area has had economically, weather, etc., part of that is our bond and our perpetual optimism makes that bond even stronger. Parents stay in the area and raise their kids in Buffalo because they think it's a great place to be and think their kids will have it even better than they did, and they want that for their kids. 

And that goes for the Bills and their fans. I am so excited for the next generation to experience hopefully a great run by this current iteration of the Bills, and how cool it will be for all those kids with Allen jerseys. Zero envy.

I spent the first half of my life in Buffalo and then moved to Rochester when I got married, and I love Rochester but Buffalo was, is and always will be special to me. It will always be a part of me, helped make me who I am today. The biggest thing I miss are the people. Almost 35 years later I still have my season tickets and love going to the games. I can't wait to one day celebrate a Super Bowl win with our kids, one who is a Bills fanatic. 

After all these years, it is too bad that Sullivan has not captured maybe the key component of what makes this community and Bills fans tick, and I find that as the missing piece in his writing. 

Come on. Just another example of the Jerry hate. His whole article was spot except for a cherry picked section. Then you truly take what he says out of context. I don't think he meant it in a literal way. Following the theme of his article, the sentence does make sense. We fans including the older ones have suffered though much pain and false hopes. I think he's saying today's youth who never experienced the pain have no idea how lucky they are to see, watch, and witness true Allen stardom. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t pay attention to them. 😉

Yes… it’s why his comment about people being envy of the kids with Josh Allen is false…. Fans would convince themselves(wrongly of course)every year how good this team would be…. There is no envy because they’d always find some bull ***** reason to be positive about the team.😅

You can follow a team and hope the moves they made will be successful, or you can follow a team to see if their moves will be futile and prove your insufferable point of view correct. Each one covers the same span. In the end, which one has been the ridiculous waste of time? Food for thought on your expenditure in the name of “fandom”. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

“At first I resisted clicking … But I did,….. reading his work for decades..” 

To help, I have isolated the portion of your post where you note just how well he exactly ‘gets it’ …. You’re even doing collateral marketing for him for free. 😂 

5 hours ago, transient said:

You can follow a team and hope the moves they made will be successful, or you can follow a team to see if their moves will be futile and prove your insufferable point of view correct. Each one covers the same span. In the end, which one has been the ridiculous waste of time? Food for thought on your expenditure in the name of “fandom”. 

Or you can follow a team and say WTF are they doing? All through the drought years from starting Rob Johnson against the Titans to firing your OC because you lost 34 to 31, any respectable writer didn't need to wait to see if many of the moves were futile or not.   Unless you are an absolute shill, covering Buffalo sports for the whole 17  years  is going to make you understandably pessimistic.  He just held on to his skepticism too long.  After all, what did Pegula do with the Sabres or the first two years with the Bills (Rex Ryan) do to inspire confidence? He is suppose to be a writer covering Buffalo sports, he should bring in a  more realistic attitude than a fan.

I read the article and I cannot see what even the most strident homer should complain about.  One quote taken out of context does not reflect what he wrote, which was a very heartfelt sentimental piece.

edit:  I changed "would complain about" to "should complain about" since obvious some people are complaining.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Or you can follow a team and say WTF are they doing? All through the drought years from starting Rob Johnson against the Titans to firing your OC because you lost 34 to 31, any respectable writer didn't need to wait to see if many of the moves were futile or not.   Unless you are an absolute shill, covering Buffalo sports for the whole 17  years  is going to make you understandably pessimistic.  He just held on to his skepticism too long.  After all, what did Pegula do with the Sabres or the first two years with the Bills (Rex Ryan) do to inspire confidence? He is suppose to be a writer covering Buffalo sports, he should bring in a  more realistic attitude than a fan.

I read the article and I cannot see what even the most strident homer should complain about.  One quote taken out of context does not reflect what he wrote, which was a very heartfelt sentimental piece.

edit:  I changed "would complain about" to "should complain about" since obvious some people are complaining.

Sullivan was Sullivan before the drought. He was a douche during the Kelly years, as well. I heard him on Shredd and Ragan in the early 90s a few times, and how he writes is who he is. As much as people try to defend his takes, he was in his glory during that 17 years of misery. It gave him license to be unapologetic about unleashing the misery within. I didn’t read his current article, nor will I. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, transient said:

Sullivan was Sullivan before the drought. He was a douche during the Kelly years, as well. I heard him on Shredd and Ragan in the early 90s a few times, and how he writes is who he is. As much as people try to defend his takes, he was in his glory during that 17 years of misery. It gave him license to be unapologetic about unleashing the misery within. I didn’t read his current article, nor will I. 

I did not listen or read his articles during the Super Bowl year since you just couldn't do it back then if you were out of the area.  I listened to him in the  on GR after the Super Bowl years and he made a whole lot more sense than people like Chuck Dickerson or Art Wander.  I understand that is a low bar.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think you've surfaced too quickly too many times, scuba guy...

I thought the same thing.  😄

11 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Damn I must be one of those kids that got an Allen jersey.  I am only 64 and it’s first jersey I have ever bought!

I’m also 64.  3 more months til Medicare!  Woohoo!

2 hours ago, transient said:

The Bills could literally go undefeated this year and win the Super Bowl, and his story would be “that was an awesome season, but it took way too long for the Bills to finally get there.”

9 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Agree 100%.

6 hours ago, transient said:

Sullivan was always the half empty kind of guy vs the half full guy. For that, he had always received much criticism. Some deserved. Personally, I've always enjoyed most of his articles. They always seem to bring a reasonable point of view although it's negative. His articles are well written and stirs debate and discussion. 

• Agree 1

As a matter of practice I never click on or read anything Sullivan has to say, I don't even think he's that good of a writer... I mean if your job is covering a sports team and half the fan base wont even read your drivel says a lot....

Edited by BillsFan692

He always seemed to me to be a self promoter and embraced that half glass empty reputation since he got here at the beginning of the '90's dynasty.  The "are you embarrassed" fiasco is the perfect example.  It worked and ironically may have lit a fire under the entire team in ways that the coaching staff never could.  I remember Bennett once commenting that he was a pain in the rear but he made him better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.