Latest Jerry Sullivan Article Shows Why He Doesn't Get "It", Bills Fans or Buffalo in General

jwhit34

At first I resisted clicking on Jerry Sullivan's latest article, "Josh Allen offers hope that makes Bills fans unburdened by past scars." But I did, and am glad I did. I have been reading his work for decades and like many here at TBD have and so many times just shake my head after reading his columns. He's a good writer but there's something missing in his work. 

Today I think I found it: He doesn't get it. For as long as he has lived and worked in the area, he really doesn't understand the community. 

Case in point: the following excerpt from the column:

That’s it. Once you have the franchise quarterback, all things are possible. Allen has allowed Bills fans to rise above the old fatalism. Sure, the loss to the Chiefs added another chapter to the chronicle of woe. But if anything, it made people more certain Allen would eventually win the big one, and maybe more than one.

It beats the alternative — trying to convince themselves that a dysfunctional organization with a parade of flawed quarterbacks might actually shock the world and make a title run, when it became yet another heroic run to 7-9 or 6-10.

Anyone who grew up during that 17-year drought must feel envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today. They probably want to grab them by the collar and say, ‘You have no idea how good you have it! I suffered through Losman and Manuel and Edwards and Taylor and the bad Bledsoe, and Fitz at his worst.’

The bolded sentence is what he doesn't understand about us and Buffalo. Us older Bills fans are not "envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today". We love seeing "those kids in the Allen jerseys today". Buffalonians stay in Buffalo because they love the area, love the people, and despite the challenges the area has had economically, weather, etc., part of that is our bond and our perpetual optimism makes that bond even stronger. Parents stay in the area and raise their kids in Buffalo because they think it's a great place to be and think their kids will have it even better than they did, and they want that for their kids. 

And that goes for the Bills and their fans. I am so excited for the next generation to experience hopefully a great run by this current iteration of the Bills, and how cool it will be for all those kids with Allen jerseys. Zero envy.

I spent the first half of my life in Buffalo and then moved to Rochester when I got married, and I love Rochester but Buffalo was, is and always will be special to me. It will always be a part of me, helped make me who I am today. The biggest thing I miss are the people. Almost 35 years later I still have my season tickets and love going to the games. I can't wait to one day celebrate a Super Bowl win with our kids, one who is a Bills fanatic. 

After all these years, it is too bad that Sullivan has not captured maybe the key component of what makes this community and Bills fans tick, and I find that as the missing piece in his writing. 

• Like (+1) 24
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Yeah, the drought sucked at the time (I can remember pretty much writing off 3 years the day Jauron was hired) but the hard times make the good years so much more enjoyable.

When the Bills finally win it all it'll feel so much sweeter for me because of all those miserable Sundays I had to sit through

• Like (+1) 8

21 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

At first I resisted clicking on Jerry Sullivan's latest article, "Josh Allen offers hope that makes Bills fans unburdened by past scars." But I did, and am glad I did. I have been reading his work for decades and like many here at TBD have and so many times just shake my head after reading his columns. He's a good writer but there's something missing in his work. 

Today I think I found it: He doesn't get it. For as long as he has lived and worked in the area, he really doesn't understand the community. 

That’s it. Once you have the franchise quarterback, all things are possible. Allen has allowed Bills fans to rise above the old fatalism. Sure, the loss to the Chiefs added another chapter to the chronicle of woe. But if anything, it made people more certain Allen would eventually win the big one, and maybe more than one.

It beats the alternative — trying to convince themselves that a dysfunctional organization with a parade of flawed quarterbacks might actually shock the world and make a title run, when it became yet another heroic run to 7-9 or 6-10.

Anyone who grew up during that 17-year drought must feel envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today. They probably want to grab them by the collar and say, ‘You have no idea how good you have it! I suffered through Losman and Manuel and Edwards and Taylor and the bad Bledsoe, and Fitz at his worst.’

The bolded sentence is what he doesn't understand about us and Buffalo. Us older Bills fans are not "envious of those kids in the Allen jerseys today". We love seeing "those kids in the Allen jerseys today". Buffalonians stay in Buffalo because they love the area, love the people, and despite the challenges the area has had economically, weather, etc., part of that is our bond and our perpetual optimism makes that bond even stronger. Parents stay in the area and raise their kids in Buffalo because they think it's a great place to be and think their kids will have it even better than they did, and they want that for their kids. 

And that goes for the Bills and their fans. I am so excited for the next generation to experience hopefully a great run by this current iteration of the Bills, and how cool it will be for all those kids with Allen jerseys. Zero envy.

I spent the first half of my life in Buffalo and then moved to Rochester when I got married, and I love Rochester but Buffalo was, is and always will be special to me. It will always be a part of me, helped make me who I am today. The biggest thing I miss are the people. Almost 35 years later I still have my season tickets and love going to the games. I can't wait to one day celebrate a Super Bowl win with our kids, one who is a Bills fanatic. 

After all these years, it is too bad that Sullivan has not captured maybe the key component of what makes this community and Bills fans tick, and I find that as the missing piece in his writing. 

Sully consults with Badol & Scottlaw for his articles, they don’t get it either, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Sullivan is just saying that as bad as the KC loss was, at least there is hope for the future with Allen and it could be (and has been) worse.  

Also, a significant amount of Bills fans don’t live in Buffalo.  I’m not sure what OP described about Buffalo is different than anyone, anywhere.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 2

Well said! My theory on “Sully” is he’s actually a decent writer, but has worked so hard to brand himself as a curmudgeon that now he can’t get out of his own way when the city is experiencing success. What a sad existence… almost poetic.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

That is an interesting statement.  Maybe the envy is actually a reflection of how Jerry views the world and other’s success in general?

It to me was an odd statement also. I am not envious of those who can't understand how good they have it. I am glad I went through the bad times because I am able to appreciate what is happening now. He has no appreciation for wisdom earned.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

I agree with a lot of your statement...he is an outsider that tries to fit in but doesn't know how.

I was born in 75 so I was lucky enough to miss most of the futility of the 70s and witness the rise of the Kelly era team in my teens so I have good memories of them.

I think this era in Bills history will be better than that one when it's all said and done...Allen is going to be a first ballot HOFer and is far more talented than Kelly.

I also don't see Beane going all hot head and getting himself fired halfway into it.

Edited by Big Turk

The worse thing about the whole 17 years was the national narrative on buffalo.  The gills could bet them or any sec team could easily do it. The draft for se for years was are superbowl and with drafts of Terrell Troup and the 1 year sack wonder we just kept falling behind with no hope in sight 😐.  But we always new as fans the sun at the end of the dark tunnel was coming soon.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Decades? 

I stopped reading Sullivan after 10 days.

When posters say "At first I resisted clicking on Jerry Sullivan's latest article", it's pretty much an admission that they read everything he puts out.

It's right up there with the endless posts along these lines: "if the NFL does (X), then I'm done with them", and "I stopped watching ESPN decades ago----I only watch it now when...."

Total BS lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

The worse thing about the whole 17 years was the national narrative on buffalo.  The gills could bet them or any sec team could easily do it. The draft for se for years was are superbowl and with drafts of Terrell Troup and the 1 year sack wonder we just kept falling behind with no hope in sight 😐.  But we always new as fans the sun at the end of the dark tunnel was coming soon.

I think you've surfaced too quickly too many times, scuba guy...

• Haha (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sully consults with Badol & Scottlaw for his articles, they don’t get it either, 😁👍

No…… this is wrong.

you don’t get it.

this is entertainment. You’re making it more than it is. Maybe one day you’ll understand like I do. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I’m some weird way - and this might just be my Stockholm syndrome creeping up again - I feel bad for anyone who want around for the bad times. Having been tortured by countless instances that would prove there really might be a curse will make that win so sweeter. 

Edited by stevestojan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.