7 Bills players that are trending up and down (per Joe B)

JohnNord

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

What Scott is referring to is taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands late in series that killed a couple drives.

The yards that really killed the Bills on the ground were made by Mahomes...........he averaged 10 yards per rush and accounted for approx 40% of their rushing yardage.    Allen ran more but was significantly less productive.    Mahomes was lethal to the Bills on the ground that night.

In the regular season you might take the ball out of Allen's hands some on 3rd downs but they shouldn't have done so in such a high leverage situation in that 3rd quarter against an offense like KC's.    They made an inaccurate assessment that their defense would be up to the task of playing field position football against a KC offense that had held the lead for a long time at that point.   

That's on Daboll.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Considering your defense barely slowed down the Chiefs offense to the tune of one punt…. Yea, it was pitiful…they also ran it twice the two downs before they punted… barely gave Allen a shot. 

No one would have gone for it at that spot on the field and that point of the game.  No one.  You're just hindsighting.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

With Mahomes on the other side? Completely disagree…hell I recall BB going for it against the Colts up by 6 on 4th down inside their own 30 yard line. 

So it happened...once.  Which game?

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Look it up yourself Doc…. Just off the top of my head Jason Garett did the same to the Bills successfully on thanksgiving day.

You never specified when.  So I'll assume that means from last year.  While obviously the Cowboys game was from 2019.

Edit:  I looked it up.  The Cheaters were down 20-0 midway through the 3rd quarter and were on their own 47.  Not even close to the same situation.  And it failed.  As for the Cowboys, it was the first play of the 2nd quarter, they were on their 20 and down by 7.  They converted it but ultimately punted.  And Jason Garrett is no longer, and will never again be, a head coach.

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

You never specified when.  So I'll assume that means from last year.  While obviously the Cowboys game was from 2019.

Edit:  I looked it up.  The Cheaters were down 20-0 midway through the 3rd quarter and were on their own 47.  Not even close to the same situation.  And it failed.  As for the Cowboys, it was the first play of the 2nd quarter, they were on their 20 and down by 7.  They converted it but ultimately punted.  And Jason Garrett is no longer, and will never again be, a head coach.

Hang with your fam bro.  Don’t do it to yourself 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

LOL!  So it wasn't last year.  I was supposed to search for a game from 13 years ago? :lol:

Anyway...the Cheaters were up by 6 with 2:08 to go in the game, and it was 4th and 2 from their 28.  They went for it, didn't make it and gave the Colts a short field and they scored a TD and won the game.  They should have punted.

As I said before, remove everything else and a coin flip decided the outcome of that game.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

They went into a conservative shell offensively with KCs best secondary player out for the game… too much underneath stuff, forcing the ball to the backs…early 2nd quarter they went 3 and out on a drive with great field position with 3 straight runs to Singletary….completely unacceptable with Allen as your QB in the biggest game of the year….can’t afford to waste possessions like that…. And then the punt on 4th and 1 was pitiful IMO.

and this is exactly why I had a love/hate with Daboll as off coordinator.  Great rapport and really liked his passing/route tree concepts, but couldn't stand his situational playcalling ability.  He was also too stubborn, or just too aggressive, to adjust his in-game playcalling and formations when the passing game was struggling (ie: Steeler game and Jags game, both against soft cover 2 defenses and too much spread).

This is where I'm hopeful that Dorsey brings the "balance" we need.  It's the threat of running, not necessarily running alot more.  And that can be accomplished in a variety of ways, including formations and different personally combinations.  

Another gripe about Daboll, while on the topic, was against press coverage schemes.  No bunch formations, lack of crossing/routes designed for YAC.  I liked his "deep crossing" concepts, but he left something to be desired in other areas.

We shall see if Dorsey can make the "minor tweaks", to make this offense more consistent.

• Eyeroll 1

On 8/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't agree with that..........CB in a zone system like the Bills play is at the bottom of the premium position list.     If they get consistent pass rush they should never need first round corners in this defense.   I know people assume you can't "mix in" man coverage without having first round CB's but that's not true.    I will say that I didn't care for the Basham pick but Rousseau was definitely the right call.        

I think there could be something to this.  I think an argument could be made that having prime, versatile safties, and throwing numbers at CB, who you ask to play zone and show up in the run support game, might be a good way to do things.

On 8/6/2022 at 3:55 PM, HappyDays said:

Beane didn't pick Elam solely because CB was a need. He said Elam was their last remaining player with a 1st round grade. He is like every other 1st round pick Beane has made - raw talent with high physical upside and high football chacter. If Elam ends up a bust it won't be because Beane forced the pick to fill a need. I think their silence in the CB free agent market is a sign that they expect White to be ready sooner rather than later, not a sign that they expect Elam to immediately be a plus starter.

......KC traded up to 21 to get in front of the Bills for McDuffie....(who by all accounts is having a great camp is going to start)  ......I'll see myself quickly out.... :D

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think there could be something to this.  I think an argument could be made that having prime, versatile safties, and throwing numbers at CB, who you ask to play zone and show up in the run support game, might be a good way to do things.

......KC traded up to 21 to get in front of the Bills for McDuffie....(who by all accounts is having a great camp is going to start)  ......I'll see myself quickly out.... :D

Yeah but look who he's going up against... :lol:

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

And the Bills were never picking him. They don't sign short armed corners. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.