7 Bills players that are trending up and down (per Joe B)

JohnNord

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

7. Matt Araiza - Solid holder…constantly punts farther and w/ nearly as much hang time as Haack.

Thanks for posting this good nugget.

If Araiza can punt farther but with the same hang time as (or less than) Haack, wouldn't that give the returner a running head start against the defenders? Just wondering. 

Edited by chongli

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

If Araiza can punt farther but with the same hang time as (or less than) Haack, wouldn't that give the returner a running head start against the defenders? Just wondering. 

Not really talked about but also gives you another solid tackler on the field

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes he has. The kid has went against Davonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. These two players could wind up as 2 of the best receivers in the NFL.

The kid is a good player and great competition is not new to him.

All due respect to the SEC, college is not the NFL, and he was not facing polished NFL receivers, no matter how the players you mention “could wind up”.  According to Elam, Allen is the best QB he has ever seen.  That is most certainly true.  He has not faced competition like this before. 

Don't get me wrong,  I think Elam is a good player and will be just fine.  I was just responding to concerns being expressed as to why he has not been out of the gate dominant as pointed by Joe B in the quoted article.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

The real concern is cornerback.   A fair appraisal of the corners to date in camp would be, I think, that the Bills do not have one dependable corner on the field.   White's not there, Elam isn't lighting it up, Jackson is struggling, Bedford has made a little noise but no one is saying he's ready for prime time.   

Am I worried?   Well, yes, in the short term.  Two underperforming corners on the field would be a problem against most teams.  But White should be back - I'd guess at least by October, and the guys who are struggling now all will be learning, week-by-week.   Barring injury, the Bills should be okay when the Bills get to crunch time in the second half of the season.  

The problem seems similar on the offensive line.   Bates SHOULD be back and Saffold SHOULD be back, but until they're back, they aren't, and it isn't so clear who fills in for them.  At least Quessenberry should be able to fill in for Brown with decent play.   As Bates comes on line, and Saffold, and if Brown can get back on the field and able to play, the line will rise to the challenge.  

It's football.  There's always something.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The real concern is cornerback.   A fair appraisal of the corners to date in camp would be, I think, that the Bills do not have one dependable corner on the field.   White's not there, Elam isn't lighting it up, Jackson is struggling, Bedford has made a little noise but no one is saying he's ready for prime time.   

Am I worried?   Well, yes, in the short term.  Two underperforming corners on the field would be a problem against most teams.  But White should be back - I'd guess at least by October, and the guys who are struggling now all will be learning, week-by-week.   Barring injury, the Bills should be okay when the Bills get to crunch time in the second half of the season.  

The problem seems similar on the offensive line.   Bates SHOULD be back and Saffold SHOULD be back, but until they're back, they aren't, and it isn't so clear who fills in for them.  At least Quessenberry should be able to fill in for Brown with decent play.   As Bates comes on line, and Saffold, and if Brown can get back on the field and able to play, the line will rise to the challenge.  

It's football.  There's always something.  

It’s likely one of those units that will have to gel as the season goes on. As far as Elam goes, keep this in mind, Allen has made even the Jalen Ramsey’s of the NFL look bad. Even if Elam has perfect coverage, Allen can throw a 100mph fastball and still get the ball there. How will he stack up against lesser competition? That’s the question.

Also, I will never question this FO/staff when it comes to DBs. This is McD’s forte. I trust that Elam, Dane, Taron and Benford will be good enough to get the job done. Keep in mind that these guys are playing behind a top notch front 7 as well.

I also suspect that our defense will carry us through quite a few games this year and it won’t all be on Josh. I think Buffalo has a complete team this year and dare I say it, maybe even a running game with Motor/Cook!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

It’s likely one of those units that will have to gel as the season goes on. As far as Elam goes, keep this in mind, Allen has made even the Jalen Ramsey’s of the NFL look bad. Even if Elam has perfect coverage, Allen can throw a 100mph fastball and still get the ball there. How will he stack up against lesser competition? That’s the question.

Also, I will never question this FO/staff when it comes to DBs. This is McD’s forte. I trust that Elam, Dane, Taron and Benford will be good enough to get the job done. Keep in mind that these guys are playing behind a top notch front 7 as well.

I also suspect that our defense will carry us through quite a few games this year and it won’t all be on Josh. I think Buffalo has a complete team this year and dare I say it, maybe even a running game with Motor/Cook!

Good stuff.  I agree.   The units will gel, or likely will.  And they played late last season with Jackson and Wallace and they made that work okay.   This will be better than that.  

The upside for the team is fabulous.   If the line and corners come together sooner rather than later, they will pile up a lot of wins.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

A punter certainly can outkick his coverage.  That's why the hang time stat was discovered/invented (in large, as a response to Reggie Roby with the fins, who could seemingly kick a ball into the clouds) to begin with.  It's a delicate balance.  Directional punting, which fell out of favor for about 25 years but seems to be regaining a foothold, can combat that.

Edited by Offside Number 76
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes he has. The kid has went against Davonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. These two players could wind up as 2 of the best receivers in the NFL.

The kid is a good player and great competition is not new to him.

Both a great.  Neither are Stefan Diggs.  

17 minutes ago, Offside Number 76 said:

A punter certainly can outkick his coverage.  That's why the hang time stat was discovered/invented (in large, as a response to Reggie Roby with the fins, who could seemingly kick a ball into the clouds) to begin with.  It's a delicate balance.  Directional punting, which fell out of favor for about 25 years but seems to be regaining a foothold, can combat that.

Thank you. Excellent reply. I do remember the Reggie Roby days and announcers going gaga over him with the Dolphins, with their new hang time counter on NBC at the time (which covered the AFC). I also remember the old days of the coffin corner. A lost skill today.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MPL said:

I, for one, am not surprised to hear that Elam has had his struggles against Diggs and Davis. Those guys routinely put the best corners in the league on skates. That said, I'd feel better if I knew for sure he wouldn't be matching up on each team's best WR to start the season. 

Yeah, that line was embarrassing. He's a rookie in camp, if Diggs wasn't lighting him up I'd be way more concerned about that.

20 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Kaiir struggled today in the scrimmage. Don’t think he’s a day 1 starter just yet. He’s going to need time. 

I said at the time when we drafted him that I was not a fan. Obviously I'm rooting for the guy to be successful cause he's a Bill but a lot of the same warts have cropped up but against better comp. Lets see how he does when the lights turn on in preseason though. Its not easy going up against the Bills offense either. I mean at worst they'll be top 5 in the league.

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

Hard to know who to believe in these reports. I have heard many positives abut Elam.

Probably just what we want to hear more than how it's really going. 

Seems like most reports talk about him struggling with holding or being overly aggressive in man coverage.

Obviously, that will improve with reps & time, so I'm not worried. He just needs to acclimate to the speed/size of the NFL compared to his college competition & get some more experience under his belt.

Is Lawson one of those guys that never looks good in practice but is better in games? He could not beat out PED Murphy in practice but outplayed him in the real games. I think I had Lawson making the roster over Epenesa but that may be in jeopardy.  

Still think they should have kept Hughes. I'd trade Epenesa for Hughes right now.

I had Moss making the final 53 and Sweeney not. 

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Thank you. Excellent reply. I do remember the Reggie Roby days and announcers going gaga over him with the Dolphins, with their new hang time counter on NBC at the time (which covered the AFC). I also remember the old days of the coffin corner. A lost skill today.

It does seem odd but there is no doubt it went away. Much more emphasis on getting the distance and hang time correct than the direction. One would think it is easier to defend the punt return if they pin the ball to one side of the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.