Mayer Bros cider

BuffaloBud

Is that the place in Webster?  Man, I love fresh apple cider.  I so miss it.

Here in NZ, we have apple orchards all around us, but the only cider they make is hard cider.  (I enjoy hard cider, but miss fresh apple cider from good ol' upstate NY.  😀)

Edited by Bad Things

They sell it here in supermarket under the "Zeigler's" brand.  Has the address of Mayer Bros. in West Seneca on it.

I want to say: $3.99... Cheaper in the Fall.

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Here in NZ, we have apple orchards all around us, but the only cider they make is hard cider.  (I enjoy hard cider, but miss fresh apple cider from good ol' upstate NY.  😀)

I betcha they bring the apples in from all over. 😏 

All about the brand. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My cousin used to be the Comptroller for the company. She retired a couple of years ago. The picture in Gugny's link is the store (old mill building). It is located where Seneca Creek Road meets Transit in West Seneca.  There was a large banquet hall  on Transit  next to  the mill They bought it about 25-30 years ago and it is the corporate HQ. They also bottle water. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My cousin used to be the Comptroller for the company. She retired a couple of years ago. The picture in Gugny's link is the store (old mill building). It is located where Seneca Creek Road meets Transit in West Seneca.  There was a large banquet hall  on Transit  next to  the mill They bought it about 25-30 years ago and it is the corporate HQ. They also bottle water. 

Whatever they are doing, but the West Seneca (Blossom, New York) address is on the Zeigler's brand. Looked up Zeigler's and they are out of Pennsylvania...

...Probably like funeral homes.  Gobbled up by just a few holding companies out there, then try and keep the local appeal. 

I will buy some in produce next time I am in store and take a picture of the address on the label.  It's the West Seneca address.  I grew right down road, fished at the Blossom dam on Buffalo Creek off Clinton... 

I found this.  Zeigler's (from Lansdale, PA) from 2011.  Mayer Bros probably bought out too?

https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/story/business/2011/04/13/m-h-zeigler-cider-company/17307832007/

22 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Sounds like a business opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The best cider I ever had was from the Attica Cider Mill when I was a kid.  @T&C will back me up on this one. 

We moved to Bennington in 73 so this may have been a bit before my time. Where was it?

The cider I remember getting as a kid was somewhere on or near Transit road. My kid days were in Lancaster.

27 minutes ago, T&C said:

We moved to Bennington in 73 so this may have been a bit before my time. Where was it?

The cider I remember getting as a kid was somewhere on or near Transit road. My kid days were in Lancaster.

Oh it was there in '73.  It was on 98 heading into Attica.  Maybe a 1/4 mile past Prospect on the right heading into town.  That ***** was the bomb!! 

These guys apparently got the press.

https://treehuggercider.com/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Mayer Brother's is RIGHT off Transit on Blossom in West Seneca (actually hamlet of Blossom?)... It's also the address on the Ziegler's I can get here in the local supermarkets... So I take the cider industry is big conglomerates like the funeral home business.  Bunch of brands and family names bought up and being held by a few companies to make it look like a local product.

Bet they source their apples all over. Here, probably Western Michigan.  Yeah,  but who knows, the jug I buy here may come out of West Seneca? 

#Cynical 😏 

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh it was there in '73.  It was on 98 heading into Attica.  Maybe a 1/4 mile past Prospect on the right heading into town.  That ***** was the bomb!! 

These guys apparently got the press.

https://treehuggercider.com/

So it's just hard cider from them? One of the worst hangovers ever... only a few times though. I didn't start driving until 77 so that's why I probably don't remember it. 

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

So it's just hard cider from them? One of the worst hangovers ever... only a few times though. I didn't start driving until 77 so that's why I probably don't remember it. 

I think it’s only hard. Funny you should mention hard cider hangovers.  Your namesake T&C used to have a cider tasting party every year.  I never attended but I’ve heard of the horrible hangovers that event was responsible for. 

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think it’s only hard. Funny you should mention hard cider hangovers.  Your namesake T&C used to have a cider tasting party every year.  I never attended but I’ve heard of the horrible hangovers that event was responsible for. 

Maybe it was nitrates... like cheap wine possibly. It was only a couple of times but I remember the headache. It was mostly weed, hash, acid, and tea back then. The group we all hung with were pretty much the same... not really a drinking crowd.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.