Ed Oliver vs Aaron Donald Physical Comparison

Stampede

Aaron Donald was NFL Defensive MVP multiple times before he ever played with Von Miller.  From the numbers shown 45 of 86 pressures came in the 12 games after Von Miller arrived, which means that 41 happened in the first 9 games assuming the 12 games included the 12 playoff games.   So 45 in 8 games with Miller vs 41 in 9 games without is something but does not necessarily equate to resulting from Miller.  There could be other explanations like quality of opponent.

Having said all that, I am excited to see what Ed can do this year along with Rosseau/Basham.   Miller should help them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mabden said:

You mean other than Bruce Smith, Reggie White, or Lawrence Taylor?

Nothing against those greats but it so much harder to be a dominant pass rusher at DT. That’s also why I give Bruce so much credit because he was a 3-4 DE. Way more difficult that being a 4-3 DE or OLB because you are going against 2 linemen instead of just a tackle, TE, or rb.

Donald has a very strong case to be on the nfl all time team as a DT.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mabden said:

You mean other than Bruce Smith, Reggie White, or Lawrence Taylor?

None of which played DT, a position which historically doesn't get the big numbers DE's & OLB who primarily focus on pass rush get.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nothing against those greats but it so much harder to be a dominant pass rusher at DT. That’s also why I give Bruce so much credit because he was a 3-4 DE. Way more difficult that being a 4-3 DE or OLB because you are going against 2 linemen instead of just a tackle, TE, or rb.

Donald has a very strong case to be on the nfl all time team as a DT.

I think Donald has already earned that distinction. If your all NFL team is a 4-3 defense then your starting DL would be Reggie White, Aaron Donald, Joe Greene, and Bruce Smith.   Second team for me would be Deacon Jones, Randy White, Warren Sapp, and probably JJ Watt or Leroy Selmon.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Von only played 8 games in LA.

So 41 of AD's pressures came in the first 9 games. And 45 of them came in the last 8.

So 4.5 pressures per game before Von.  To 5.6 with Von.

Oliver had 40 pressures in 17 games. Which is 2.3 per game. So maybe he'll get 1ish more per game?

Yes, but the defense gave up 0.22 pts per game MORE and the Rams LOST one more game in the regular season with Miller than without him... DOOOOOMED!! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

No disrespect to Oliver, but Aaron Donald is best DT and one of top 3 most dominant defensive forces this league has ever seen. 

Donald is 280 with an 8 pack.  They are similar size and speed  but different human. 

Edited by Mat68

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It would be a long, long way .. I did the calculation and specifically it is 2,612 miles driving between St. John Fisher and the Rams training camp facility. I doubt Sean would allow him to make the trip even if Ed was predisposed to sniffing Aaron's jock.

If Oliver was desirous enough to sniff Darnold's jock then he could fly, even by private jet. Look at it as a test to determine what kind of a motor Oliver has. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's like comparing Superman to Batman.  Donald is all world and Oliver is still great but he can't match the physical gifts Donald has.  

It’s like comparing Superman to Roger Rabbit.  Oliver is an average starter vs arguably the best player ever at his position. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Donald is all world and Oliver is still great but he can't match the physical gifts Donald has.

But see, that's one reason I looked at both of their combine/pro day workouts. They both are basically the same physically and in workout results. So technique and the fact that Ed has far less snap count have to be the biggest difference (along with coaching). Ed declared early, which does count against him. What I was getting at with this post is with the progress that Ed has been making in this defensive system, he should go completely ballistic this season. It's not like Aaron is 6 inches taller, 70 pounds heavier, and benched 45 reps. They are very much similar. If Ed stays healthy, gets more snaps, and continues to improve, he can be on the list of the greatest.

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Oliver is an average starter vs arguably the best player ever at his position. 

I have to say that I may be way, way off. But I believe he is better than an average starter. He has the potential to become a star in the league. I could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Like Von just said, Aaron is Aaron and Ed is Ed.  Ed will make his own mark and no need to compare the 2.

Yes, Aaron is Aaron, and Ed is Ed, and Ed will make his mark. But there is and will always be comparison. That's how we gauge the level of any athlete's (or actor, musician, artist, etc.) performance and improvement. Someone has to set the benchmark to which all participants are subject to. However, my comparison was of their physical attributes only, to highlight that Aaron doesn't have an unfair advantage due to size or freak of nature strength.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Miller will definitely help Oliver.  I see Oliver around 8 sacks this year.

They are physically about the same but Donald is more fluid which makes him nearly unstoppable.  Great first step, strength, fluid and great hands.

Oliver is first step and power right now.  If his hands get much better, he will be much more dangerous.

I’d say the biggest difference between the two is that Donald always took to coaching and Ed did not. Being from a small school and not really liking his coaches and having tremendous success without coaching sealed the deal for Oliver  who needed a couple years to realize how good the NFL is… way behind Donald at this point, he has been learning for a couple years now and training harder than he used to….He’s getting better now but is still far behind Donald in a lot of ways…. Perhaps hand-fighting is number one? Though, I recall, Ed is Abendextorous…. He should be very good at hand fighting…. And it is something how good of a one-tech Ed is but at the same time, a complete shame on us he had to play one-tech for us….

45 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I’d say the biggest difference between the two is that Donald always took to coaching and Ed did not. Being from a small school and not really liking his coaches and having tremendous success without coaching sealed the deal for Oliver  who needed a couple years to realize how good the NFL is

I didn't realize this excellent point. I know he needed an attitude change. Listening to him after the draft, it was obvious he thought it would be business as usual.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.