Training Camp practice 8/4

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been watching McDermott since he's arrived (like everyone else), and he's always given me the impression that he is somehow on top of the best, most efficient way to do everything.   It's pretty impressive. 

Where I think he's fallen down, relatively, is Xs and 0s.  Certainly for 13 seconds.   That's what remains to be mastered.   

To me, it’s when McD can form a plan and implement it that he is superior. But in real-time, game situations and quickly processing and making the correct decisions, he’s been less effective. Think first/second year Josh. Some of this is tactical - which goal to defend in a gale shouldn’t be rocket science. Some of it is when he’s flailing like during 13 seconds. His timeouts gave KC the chance to examine the D and come up with two perfect calls. I LOATHE timeouts on D unless there’s a specific reason like 10 guys out there or saving the clock. Chaos and compressed situations intrinsically favor defenses. Deny the offense time to think about what and how to execute, the lack of time and decision space is an advantage to defense.

I don’t know if McDermott will ever grasp that nuance, his effectiveness as a control freak reinforces him to eschew embracing chaos as an ally - he wants to control the situation. Maybe as he builds experience he can summon prior situation solutions more quickly than having to spend time thinking about it, or just trusting your D to execute based on the offensive formation rather than calling them back to coach them. I think it’s more a psychological handicap to him as a game manager that I’d be surprised if he overcomes. Maybe that’s reading too much it but it’s my current hot take.

3 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

He's not an NFL ready player!

He struggled last season obviously, many rookies do. Good news though is he's been having a pretty solid camp it seems. That being said, I agree with the poster you originally quoted that missing "weeks" of camp/etc won't be good for him

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I don’t know if McDermott will ever grasp that nuance, his effectiveness as a control freak reinforces him to eschew embracing chaos as an ally - he wants to control the situation. Maybe as he builds experience he can summon prior situation solutions more quickly than having to spend time thinking about it, or just trusting your D to execute based on the offensive formation rather than calling them back to coach them. I think it’s more a psychological handicap to him as a game manager that I’d be surprised if he overcomes. Maybe that’s reading too much it but it’s my current hot take.

I agree with your analysis but not your conclusion.  McDermott is about continuous improvement. He will get better at game management every year for the next decade.  I'm sure of it.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

The fights breaking out in camp practices need to stop.  Belichick tosses players from practice if they fight since you cannot fight in a game.  An undisciplined penalty can cost a game when it counts.

Bill Belichick eats peanut butter with his fingers. Dunks his hands in the jar and licks the PB off each digit one by one.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChasBB said:

The fights breaking out in camp practices need to stop.  Belichick tosses players from practice if they fight since you cannot fight in a game.  An undisciplined penalty can cost a game when it counts.

After the ass whooping BB took in the playoffs last year, maybe he needs to toughen up his team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.