Best/craziest Backers Bar in Boston?

oldmanfan

11 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Unpopular opinion but I am not a fan of rowdy Bills' bars. Especially when fans scream and shout on 2nd 10 and we gain 2 yards on a run.

Yes. That is unpopular!   :)

I kid, mostly. I really like the energy and camaraderie especially early in the season. The Bills Backers bar(s) in Atlanta are much like the video of Harp in Boston. Hundreds of people singing, dancing and high-fiving to the Shout song. It’s a VERY cool experience!

But……Most games I like in the comfort of my own home where everything is at my fingertips and I’m in control. My house has the added advantage that I don’t have to drive or Uber home. 

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

Unpopular opinion but I am not a fan of rowdy Bills' bars. Especially when fans scream and shout on 2nd 10 and we gain 2 yards on a run.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yes. That is unpopular!   :)

I kid, mostly. I really like the energy and camaraderie especially early in the season. The Bills Backers bar(s) in Atlanta are much like the video of Harp in Boston. Hundreds of people singing, dancing and high-fiving to the Shout song. It’s a VERY cool experience!

But……Most games I like in the comfort of my own home where everything is at my fingertips and I’m in control. My house has the added advantage that I don’t have to drive or Uber home. 

With my social anxiety disorder, I appreciate a reasonable amount of enthusiasm and rowdiness at a Bills bar because the Bills are something I'm passionate about, but I don't do so well with a packed room and tons of noise.

The weird thing is it's the opposite for me when I'm at the actual game in the stadium.  I want every soul there on their feet and stomping and yelling and going insane all around me (as long as they're not TOO drunk).  I think it's because while a Bills game is one of the only places I'm sort of comfortable being vocal and social at, I want to be "lost in the crowd" and not the center of attention while doing it.

Brains are stupid and weird.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

With my social anxiety disorder, I appreciate a reasonable amount of enthusiasm and rowdiness at a Bills bar because the Bills are something I'm passionate about, but I don't do so well with a packed room and tons of noise.

The weird thing is it's the opposite for me when I'm at the actual game in the stadium.  I want every soul there on their feet and stomping and yelling and going insane all around me (as long as they're not TOO drunk).  I think it's because while a Bills game is one of the only places I'm sort of comfortable being vocal and social at, I want to be "lost in the crowd" and not the center of attention while doing it.

Brains are stupid and weird.

To each their own, my friend. To each their own. If we were all the same……. it would be boring. Hope it’s not too severe for you. We are all somewhere on every spectrum. 

I think I may have a touch of what you are talking about. A high level of noise, even in my own house with big groups, can kind of freak me out. I need relief. Like, I need to step outside or go to another room. The din makes me uncomfortable. 

Still, I love the energy at a Bills bar maybe once a year, add a couple live games a year (home opener and a select road game if possible) and I’m all set for the rest of the year to happen from my very comfortable couch! 

Ok, before I get into my hyper specific thoughts about the Harp.  She needs to learn about Sturrow Drive and Brooks drive (I think it's Brooks, it runs parallel to the Mass Pike and a really amazing cut through between Sturrow and backway into Watertown and Alston/Brighton. Regardless on where she lives in the Boston area (where is she living btw), unless it's like Southie or Quincy, she needs to get real familiar with Brooks and all those roads back by Harvard...if she can figure those out, she will save a crap ton of time with traffic.

Alright, so he Harp is fun for sure, but can be a bit of a pain to get to depending on where you live. Also, for what it's worth I lived in Boston from 2006-2012 and seemed like just about every time I went out there the Bills would get blown out.

Definitely a bit annoying from Oak Square in Brighton where I lived for like 4 of those years. You definitely have to get there early unless you have someone saving you a spot. Parking can be a bit tricky in that part of town, and if you dont want to drive the public transport is a bit less than ideal from Oak Square specifically, but public transport coming from other parts of the city is way more accessible to TD Garden.

Oak Square is a hidden gem though. During the week there is an express bus that runs through there every 10-15 minutes that takes you on the Mass Pike to South Station in like 20 minutes if there's no traffic (always traffic) and you can get a bus pass for $90 tax free through work (at least that's what it cost at the time). There's also busses that take you up to Kenmore through Brighton and then Alston (fenway stop) in like 40 minutes or over to Harvard Square (red line) in like 20 minutes.

I used to live like a three minute walk from the Joshua Tree bar in Alston when I lived in Alston on Kelton St and there were a few Bills fans that would go there. That's were I watched pretty much the entire 2007 season, and can still remember doing a few 720s when McGee would break his returns. My wife (gf at the time) worked all day Sundays, so I would show up at the bar planning on just watching the 1pm game (a lot of the time drinking coffee for the first half trying to recouperate from the night before), then often deciding to watch the 4pm game and suddenly it was 8pm and I was watching the late game as the place turned into more of a dance club. Awesome wings and food in general, good beer, really cool bartenders and a ton of tvs.

Then I'd stumble into Our House and play foosball (I didnt have to work Mondays that season). The Avenue (another bar) across the street had dollar drafts and super cheap fairly decent wings too. Both of those last two places for sure closed from my understanding...anyway, Boston is a lot of fun, your daughter will hopefully love it! 

It sounds like you have you’re answer OP with Harp.

I know in Tampa, there is nothing like O’Briens in Brandon.  It’s just far for

me, but worth it once or twice a year.  They do the Shout song every score, have a mic with a host, and a few times a year Christie and his family show up.  He lives in Apollo Beach which is south of Brandon.  What a nice approachable guy.  He’s always willing to shoot the breeze with true Bills fans.

Ge was pretty good friends with Norwood and told me how deeply that missed kick affected Scott.  I actually felt really bad for the guy once he described how hard it hit him.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It sounds like you have you’re answer OP with Harp.

I know in Tampa, there is nothing like O’Briens in Brandon.  It’s just far for

me, but worth it once or twice a year.  They do the Shout song every score, have a mic with a host, and a few times a year Christie and his family show up.  He lives in Apollo Beach which is south of Brandon.  What a nice approachable guy.  He’s always willing to shoot the breeze with true Bills fans.

Ge was pretty good friends with Norwood and told me how deeply that missed kick affected Scott.  I actually felt really bad for the guy once he described how hard it hit him.

Next time tell him to tell Scott it should have never have come down to that kick. Plenty of errors preceded it.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Next time tell him to tell Scott it should have never have come down to that kick. Plenty of errors preceded it.

He knows and he said it to him.  PTR, Christie’s a great guy.  I think you’d like him.  

He unfortunately as an athlete puts it all on himself.  That’s what elite athletes do.  I don’t blame him for that game.  Marv and Marchibroda were the problem.  I love Marv and March, but they blew it.  Old news now.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

He knows and he said it to him.  PTR, Christie’s a great guy.  I think you’d like him.  

He unfortunately as an athlete puts it all on himself.  That’s what elite athletes do.  I don’t blame him for that game.  Marv and Marchibroda were the problem.  I love Marv and March, but they blew it.  Old news now.

Kelly too. Wanted to be SB MVP. Didn't take what Belichick was giving him. (Running Thomas more!)

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The Harp, no question. Arrive early for big games. There are  3 sections: Main bar, rear bar, basement bar. They hold around 400. When things go over capacity they spill over to Hurricane's on Canal.

There is also a Bills Backers chapter at the Fenway Bleacher Bar on Lansdowne St. Not as heavily attended or as wild as the Harp but still a haven for Bills fans.

I'm going to be in Boston this weekend with my family, so I probably won't be able to make it up to The Harp.  Staying in Seaport area--any place to recommend there?  Thanks.

She tried the Harp for the Rams game, but it was a trek on the T and it wasn’t as welcoming as she was hoping.  Everyone already seemed to have their group.  She went the Fenway last week and liked it a lot more, so that may be the place.  

Edited by oldmanfan

On 8/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, HOUSE said:

The Harp but I know I heard a boston accent in that place. The guy left his wallet in the caa

Lol, don’t be put off by Boston accents  at The Harp. Lots of those kids were raised by Buffalo expats (like my boys) — and hate the Pats with every fiber of their being. Accents are acquired traits, but Bills fandom is genetic, apparently.  😎

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:44 PM, HardyBoy said:

Ok, before I get into my hyper specific thoughts about the Harp.  She needs to learn about Sturrow Drive and Brooks drive (I think it's Brooks, it runs parallel to the Mass Pike and a really amazing cut through between Sturrow and backway into Watertown and Alston/Brighton. Regardless on where she lives in the Boston area (where is she living btw), unless it's like Southie or Quincy, she needs to get real familiar with Brooks and all those roads back by Harvard...if she can figure those out, she will save a crap ton of time with traffic.

Alright, so he Harp is fun for sure, but can be a bit of a pain to get to depending on where you live. Also, for what it's worth I lived in Boston from 2006-2012 and seemed like just about every time I went out there the Bills would get blown out.

Definitely a bit annoying from Oak Square in Brighton where I lived for like 4 of those years. You definitely have to get there early unless you have someone saving you a spot. Parking can be a bit tricky in that part of town, and if you dont want to drive the public transport is a bit less than ideal from Oak Square specifically, but public transport coming from other parts of the city is way more accessible to TD Garden.

Oak Square is a hidden gem though. During the week there is an express bus that runs through there every 10-15 minutes that takes you on the Mass Pike to South Station in like 20 minutes if there's no traffic (always traffic) and you can get a bus pass for $90 tax free through work (at least that's what it cost at the time). There's also busses that take you up to Kenmore through Brighton and then Alston (fenway stop) in like 40 minutes or over to Harvard Square (red line) in like 20 minutes.

I used to live like a three minute walk from the Joshua Tree bar in Alston when I lived in Alston on Kelton St and there were a few Bills fans that would go there. That's were I watched pretty much the entire 2007 season, and can still remember doing a few 720s when McGee would break his returns. My wife (gf at the time) worked all day Sundays, so I would show up at the bar planning on just watching the 1pm game (a lot of the time drinking coffee for the first half trying to recouperate from the night before), then often deciding to watch the 4pm game and suddenly it was 8pm and I was watching the late game as the place turned into more of a dance club. Awesome wings and food in general, good beer, really cool bartenders and a ton of tvs.

Then I'd stumble into Our House and play foosball (I didnt have to work Mondays that season). The Avenue (another bar) across the street had dollar drafts and super cheap fairly decent wings too. Both of those last two places for sure closed from my understanding...anyway, Boston is a lot of fun, your daughter will hopefully love it! 

She’s got an Allston address, lives in the Allston/Brighton/Brookline area.  Any suggestions welcome!

On 10/7/2022 at 5:54 PM, oldmanfan said:

She’s got an Allston address, lives in the Allston/Brighton/Brookline area.  Any suggestions welcome!

She should definitely take the T to the Harp from there. Piece of cake:  grab B or C branch of green line straight to North Station; Harp is one min walk from NS. Definitely don’t drive! I live in Brookline and always take the T to the Harp. Assuming she’s wearing Bills gear, if we spot her on our train, we’ll definitely invite her to our table! 

Edited by Stranded in Boston

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I'm going to be in Boston this weekend with my family, so I probably won't be able to make it up to The Harp.  Staying in Seaport area--any place to recommend there?  Thanks.

Not Bills related. You could stop in at Harpoon Brewery and get one of their giant spent grain pretzels. I think Trillium Brewing has a beer hall in that area now too.

Seaport District is not that far from the Harp. Depends on traffic.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.