Twitter Spaces

ToBillsFan

Somehow, I managed to live a reasonably full life for 50 years without following or being followed on Twitter when it first gained popularity.  

I get that a lot of people enjoy the interaction, but TSW and occasional Facebook is about all the social media I want to indulge in. I don’t want to be one of those people (especially the under 30 crowd) walking around staring at my mobile device all day like a damn zombie. 

I went to The grocery store yesterday, and from my car to the doors of the market I saw no less than three people walking towards the entrance with their eyes glued to their phone. What are you so afraid you’re missing?! 
I keep thinking if someone were to transport in time from 50 years ago to now and could see this activity, they’d think we’d all been hypnotized or gone nuts.  I’m starting the believe  that may be the case. 
end of morning rant 😉

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, transient said:

Some friends that I met at the buffet at 5:00 last night for dinner told me they’ve got a blue light special on Jitterbug phones and adult diapers in here…

I'll bet those Jitterbug people have fulfilling social lives with actual people, face to face, and are able to articulate complete thoughts without expressing them through unintelligible grunts or emojis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I don't know what these are.  I'm kinda old at 46.   I can talk all day about Facebook tho

Your not old, you’re middle aged, I’m 64, and that’s only just starting to be old 😂

• Like (+1) 1

For those of you who, like me, have no friggin' clue what a Twitter Space is .... https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/spaces

Spaces is a way to have live audio conversations on Twitter. We’ve been testing and building this in the open with @TwitterSpaces and your feedback so we get it right. We love how it’s shaping up, but there is much more to come including new features and updates. Stay tuned!

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Somehow, I managed to live a reasonably full life for 50 years without following or being followed on Twitter when it first gained popularity.  

I get that a lot of people enjoy the interaction, but TSW and occasional Facebook is about all the social media I want to indulge in. I don’t want to be one of those people (especially the under 30 crowd) walking around staring at my mobile device all day like a damn zombie. 

I went to The grocery store yesterday, and from my car to the doors of the market I saw no less than three people walking towards the entrance with their eyes glued to their phone. What are you so afraid you’re missing?! 
I keep thinking if someone were to transport in time from 50 years ago to now and could see this activity, they’d think we’d all been hypnotized or gone nuts.  I’m starting the believe  that may be the case. 
end of morning rant 😉

I'm this way and I'm in my early 30's. I actually think most social media has been pretty bad for general mental health and society at large. And I think it is more than just the lack of actual social skills that people develop. It goes a lot deeper than that.

But yeah. I check Two Bills Drive and that's about it. I used to check Facebook, but I unfriended everyone except my direct family members and it was literally like being unshackled. I felt free after doing it. I can't imagine being chained to multiple services at the same time, like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Although I do appreciate the Twitter addicts around here who scoop the relevant Bills news for us.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm this way and I'm in my early 30's. I actually think most social media has been pretty bad for general mental health and society at large. And I think it is more than just the lack of actual social skills that people develop. It goes a lot deeper than that.

But yeah. I check Two Bills Drive and that's about it. I used to check Facebook, but I unfriended everyone except my direct family members and it was literally like being unshackled. I felt free after doing it. I can't imagine being chained to multiple services at the same time, like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Although I do appreciate the Twitter addicts around here who scoop the relevant Bills news for us.

I'm not anti-Twitter or any of those platforms. I love access to so much information. But like anything else, moderation seems like the best course.

I'm from the pre-internet, pre-cell phone era, and developed social habits without those vices. We had to organize meet ups and schedules remotely, through communication from (gulp) the landline phones that mom, dad, or some other person might answer when it rings (no caller ID of course)   OMG!

I just have to shake my head when I see a family sitting together at a restaurant, all ignoring each other and staring at their devices. Sad.

I'll be back in a few minutes to check on if I got any 'likes'.

Edited by SoMAn

11 hours ago, Dan said:

I don’t know what this thread is about.. so you can all surmise that I’m too old to be hip. 

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It’s all good, man. My uncle Huey says it’s hip to be square. 

Careful hips are easily broken as one ages!

12 hours ago, chongli said:

Agreed. I have no idea what they are, or even the instagram channels, movies, videos or whatever on top of someone's page with the regular IG posts. You can post a video in your IG posts, so I am not sure what the stuff at the top is or why it is necessary. Can you now post to IG from a computer? I hate using cell phones. And now those YouTube shorts confuse me. Snap Chat is even more confusing, to the point where I won't even touch it anymore. I don't know why there is an obsession by young people with social media. There is no need for it.

Agree except by some TSW is called social media.

When I was working classified jobs I was told to avoid posting personal information on social media but with amount of data mining and other ways of getting data I do not think there is anyway to avoid it.  I do leave tidbits of false information out there and watch it get passed around.  I got a birthday card on my 75th birthday from a company with connection to an ad which it got my birthday from such a tidbit.

FYI My birthday is February 29, 1959.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.