How Josh Allen and Ken Dorsey are shaping the next wave of the Bills offense (great article)

Logic

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What’s that got to do with my point?

What does the fact that we have one of the most prolific, pass happy offenses in the NFL have to do with your point that we want to "force feed our RB's in January" coming off of the maybe the most impressive playoff passing display just this prior January???

6 hours ago, eball said:

Two years ago the OL stunk and the Bills were in the AFC Championship.  They lost that game because they couldn’t stop Mahomes.

Last year the OL was up and down (mostly down), but playing a bit better by the end of the year.  They lost in the playoffs because they couldn’t stop Mahomes.

See the parallel?  Josh and this offense can function at a high level even with an “adequate” OL.  Dawkins and Morse are legitimate players.  Everyone is freaking out because the other three starters are being moved along slowly as they deal with injuries, but we still have more than a month before the first game.  We also now have a competent OL coach.  We brought in experienced depth, even if they are not long term answers.

The key to this team taking the next step is to have a defensive front that can harass all of the good QBs in the AFC.  I am so excited about watching this defense because I think they will be downright nasty.

I’m not worried about Josh.  He’s got lots of weapons to get the ball out to quickly, and he’s a beast.  If an injury happens, it happens, but it won’t be because Josh can’t protect himself behind an iffy OL.  How many bad hits have you seen Josh take in the pocket?  I can’t remember even one.  His hits come from RPOs and designed runs.

People need to relax about the OL at this juncture of training camp.

I agree - to a point.  Josh has shown that he can - sometimes - put points on the board even when the OL leaks like a sieve.  And, yes, our inability to stop Mahomes ruined two playoff runs.

But here's where I disagree: I still think upgrading the OL is a priority.  While we didn't lose to the Chiefs due to OL woes, we have lost other games. 

And watching edge rushers sprint unimpeded at Josh scares me.  As elusive and tough as Allen is, someday he's going to get badly hurt if we don't protect him better.  

21 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree - to a point.  Josh has shown that he can - sometimes - put points on the board even when the OL leaks like a sieve.  And, yes, our inability to stop Mahomes ruined two playoff runs.

But here's where I disagree: I still think upgrading the OL is a priority.  While we didn't lose to the Chiefs due to OL woes, we have lost other games. 

And watching edge rushers sprint unimpeded at Josh scares me.  As elusive and tough as Allen is, someday he's going to get badly hurt if we don't protect him better.  

Nobody is saying the Bills shouldn't continue to try to get better at OL.  Nobody.  It's the crusaders who keep harping on it as if the Bills have put no effort into it, when the clear evidence is that they have.  But if you told me the Bills could have two "better" O linemen this season at the expense of having to run back last year's D line, I'd say "no thanks."

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

One would think that a team who can identify the QB would be able to build an OL.  It's not as if they haven't spent big dollars to do so, signing a C in UFA and re-signing their LT to large contracts.  Drafting another interior OL high and paying Daryl Williams.  

The issue to all of this is, Buffalo has not focused much on offense save for the 2019 and 2020 off-seasons.  The former was all-in on UFAs and the latter to acquire Diggs.  No issues there, but it's as if they said we're set there and banked on Josh to make it all work after his excellent 2020 season.

This year, they threw some token money at WR and TE, drafted (another) RB fairly high for the position and, like 2021, seem content running it back again.  

Why would one think that? Successfully drafting a franchise QB doesn't automatically get you a great OL. This is a weird assumption you make.

They've added and developed so many different offensive pieces. Go watch the 2018 season vs the 2022 season. It's crazy how much has changed on offense.

Adding Saffold, Crowder, Howard, Cook, Shakir, plus the other OL depth, is not just "running it back." But besides that, the offense has been so good, I'm not even sure why "running it back" would be a bad thing... I'm more concerned about the defense. Aren't you?

• Like (+1) 1

Super in depth and informative...

How well Dorsey handles the intricacies within the plays that help get players open and are week to week specific will go a long way to how well we do under him offensively.

I mean the floor is that we are merely good, but the ceiling is that we are exceptional.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, ScottLaw said:

My point was about McDermott being a mostly conservative offensive coach…. He’s had his moments where the aggression is there and it’s paid off big time for him(@New England, first drive of game against KC)… but he still goes back to his comfort zone of being conservative and putting too much faith in his defense as evidence by the 2nd/3rd quarter of that divisional game.

Analytics does not bear that out.

Great article. Good qbs can be quickly destroyed by bad organizations. I still think Darnold fell into that hole. Beane had a plan since Day1 on how to develop JA and so far it's worked to perfection. I think Dorsey will add some necessary wrinkles like Cook and more 12 personnel to further extend Josh's ability and protection. None of this would've been possible without McB's vision (process).

On 8/4/2022 at 12:38 PM, BillsVet said:

McD is the primary weak link in this franchise.  Not just because of 13 seconds, but rather his vision for roster priorities.  

He has every defensive piece a former coordinator from that side of the ball could ever wish for.  He has to win now or it's an indictment of his overall coaching philosophy.  

He is also one of the primary reasons this team is where it is.... He will learn from it.  Think your being overly critical considering where we came from.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The two back to back playoff games against KC do IMO.

If I am not mistaken didn't he go for it on fourth down early in both games and they both ended in TDs rather than punts or FGs? For sure he did in at least one.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, gordong said:

He is also one of the primary reasons this team is where it is.... He will learn from it.  Think your being overly critical considering where we came from.

After 13 seconds I too wanted Sean's head on a spike. We were all pissed and emotional. But after a few days and reading some posts from more level headed fans than myself, I realized we are in good hands. McD will learn from his mistake and I strongly doubt he ever makes it again. This team is set to make a SB run for years to come. As we say on the ocean, "full steam ahead"....

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, SWATeam said:

JA probably had the greatest QB postseason of all time.  Your take is embarrassing.  

How is that his take, it’s Romo’s take. I watched more than once and recall Romo saying that.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

After 13 seconds I too wanted Sean's head on a spike. We were all pissed and emotional. But after a few days and reading some posts from more level headed fans than myself, I realized we are in good hands. McD will learn from his mistake and I strongly doubt he ever makes it again. This team is set to make a SB run for years to come. As we say on the ocean, "full steam ahead"....

We all felt the same way.....just gives them more incentive to have a bigger lead.  :)

On 8/4/2022 at 10:15 AM, ScottLaw said:

I believe it was Tony Romo who said during the Chiefs/Bills divisional game that “the Bills got too conservative in the 3rd quarter offensively”. 

I'll admit to being absolutely irate over those two consecutive drives that went nowhere with shockingly unimaginative, conservative play calling. It was so glaringly infuriating. THAT'S when the Bills truly lost the game. You simply cannot squander back-to-back drives against such a potent offensive opponent. You need to capitalize on EVERY advantage, and convert EVERY point you can possibly squeeze out of a 60-minute contest. Otherwise...

On 8/4/2022 at 12:38 PM, BillsVet said:

McD is the primary weak link in this franchise.  Not just because of 13 seconds, but rather his vision for roster priorities.  

He has every defensive piece a former coordinator from that side of the ball could ever wish for.  He has to win now or it's an indictment of his overall coaching philosophy.  

On one hand, McD is deserving of intense scrutiny as a game manager and situational tactician. No doubt.

On the other, he has built, and continues to build upon, one of the most competitively successful organizations in the NFL. He is an excellent leader. Without question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It was a strange two drives where they oddly took the ball out of Josh’s hands and forced the running game

The first drive 4th and goal they handed the ball to Singletary, Davis made a great block and they scored. One of those drives they called the same play on 3rd and short, Davis didn't make his block and Singletary was stopped. Hindsight...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.