How Josh Allen and Ken Dorsey are shaping the next wave of the Bills offense (great article)

Logic

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I agree with your post. There’s a few members here who may know how to fin angle that draft. @Gugny @Beerball @Mike in Horseheads

I don't know why @billybrew1 thinks his draft would have been better than the one Beane put together. Beane has been fin angling for years now and he's shown that he knows how to construct a team. Look at some of the moves he has made: he fin angled Jacksonville to take Tub'OGoo, he fin angled Cleveland to take Tuhrod Taylor. He fin angled Diggs away from Minnesota.  Regarding the draft, look at all the fin angling he did in the latter rounds.  

At this point I give Beane an A+ at fin angling. I don't think that bb1 has done enough to be graded at this point.

18 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I doubt the writer knows anything more than we all do...

You overestimate us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only thing that slightly scares me is having a first time OC.  

I think Dorsey has been in this offense long enough to leave it to Allen to audible when he feels like it's the right call. 

I would imagine he had a front row seat to how Allen and Daboll interacted on the field and wants to keep that relationship. 

Edited by The Wiz

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only thing that slightly scares me is having a first time OC.  

Is your worry that he won't call the right plays?  Won't manage a game well?  I mean, right now everyone talks about Daboll as if he was the greatest OC ever but while he was here he was constantly criticized for how he called games.

I'm pretty confident in Dorsey.  The fact he played QB and knows the importance of getting plays in quickly is a plus.  If you read that entire article, you also realize he has been cutting-edge his entire coaching career and has been preparing for this over the past 20+ years.

I think we're in good hands.

I think given Dorsey's experience this will be the next step up for Josh which could be scary ! Dorsey's QB insight into the position and to win like he did in college in some respects taught him a lot so even though his time playing in the NFL wasn't nearly as successful i hope his learning experiences were .

If they can hook up in a chemistry type of way this could quite honestly be the next dynasty in the east . If Beane, McD, and Dorsey could stay together as the core & interchange some defensive coordinators like BB did in New England think about it anything is possible !!

I feel Josh could in a lot of ways learn to do what Brady did & be that good if his progression continues the way it has & the stability stays around him to keep some of the really good talent they have then with Beane's drafting magic this could be really big for a long period of time .

GO BILLS !!!

• Like (+1) 1

From what I could see in the quote, the author seems to be spot on.   I think it is clear that Beane and McDermott have followed a carefully thought out methodology in building the team and facilitating the development of Josh Allen.  It's also clear to me that a lot of franchises have screwed any chance for a young potential franchise QB to succeed.  The New York Jets is exhibit A.

16 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm much more concerned about the play of the Offensive line.  That's the wild card that will dictate the play of the Offense this year in my opinion 

I agree. Might be over the top to some, but I think our O line could be the difference between us winning the Lombardi or not. Hopefully they perform better than I think they will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rigby said:

I agree. Might be over the top to some, but I think our O line could be the difference between us winning the Lombardi or not. Hopefully they perform better than I think they will.

I think our defense is going to be so good this year, that it likely won’t matter if the Oline struggles. This D will be talked about for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rigby said:

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think our defense is going to be so good this year, that it likely won’t matter if the Oline struggles. This D will be talked about for years. 

Two years ago the OL stunk and the Bills were in the AFC Championship.  They lost that game because they couldn’t stop Mahomes.

Last year the OL was up and down (mostly down), but playing a bit better by the end of the year.  They lost in the playoffs because they couldn’t stop Mahomes.

See the parallel?  Josh and this offense can function at a high level even with an “adequate” OL.  Dawkins and Morse are legitimate players.  Everyone is freaking out because the other three starters are being moved along slowly as they deal with injuries, but we still have more than a month before the first game.  We also now have a competent OL coach.  We brought in experienced depth, even if they are not long term answers.

The key to this team taking the next step is to have a defensive front that can harass all of the good QBs in the AFC.  I am so excited about watching this defense because I think they will be downright nasty.

I’m not worried about Josh.  He’s got lots of weapons to get the ball out to quickly, and he’s a beast.  If an injury happens, it happens, but it won’t be because Josh can’t protect himself behind an iffy OL.  How many bad hits have you seen Josh take in the pocket?  I can’t remember even one.  His hits come from RPOs and designed runs.

People need to relax about the OL at this juncture of training camp.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, eball said:

Is your worry that he won't call the right plays?  Won't manage a game well?  I mean, right now everyone talks about Daboll as if he was the greatest OC ever but while he was here he was constantly criticized for how he called games.

I'm pretty confident in Dorsey.  The fact he played QB and knows the importance of getting plays in quickly is a plus.  If you read that entire article, you also realize he has been cutting-edge his entire coaching career and has been preparing for this over the past 20+ years.

Being constantly criticized means little.  Bills were constantly criticized after draft for picking Allen.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mr. WEO said:

"constructed an Offensive line that can support him"?

That's still a work in progress (hence all the talk in the piece of the hits Josh takes--not all are downfield).

On 8/2/2022 at 2:52 PM, LeGOATski said:

Hardest thing to do in the league is construct a quality offensive line without paying out the ass

One would think that a team who can identify the QB would be able to build an OL.  It's not as if they haven't spent big dollars to do so, signing a C in UFA and re-signing their LT to large contracts.  Drafting another interior OL high and paying Daryl Williams.  

The issue to all of this is, Buffalo has not focused much on offense save for the 2019 and 2020 off-seasons.  The former was all-in on UFAs and the latter to acquire Diggs.  No issues there, but it's as if they said we're set there and banked on Josh to make it all work after his excellent 2020 season.

This year, they threw some token money at WR and TE, drafted (another) RB fairly high for the position and, like 2021, seem content running it back again.  

McD is, despite all appearances, a conservative HC.  He wasn't enamored with passing the ball so often and, late in the year running Josh.  Dorsey will give him what Daboll did not: offensive balance.  Concern there is will the OL support more rushing attempts how does taking the ball out of Josh's hands make the offensive better, and when does the lack of WR depth show up?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

He’s still has that “control the clock with running the ball and keeping the defense honest” phase… he’ll have even more reason to punt the ball this year because I expect the defense to be damn good…. my hope is the running game is that good that it won’t matter when they are force feeding the backs in January while taking it out of the best offensive player in the world hands.

00:13....

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

He’s still has that “control the clock with running the ball and keeping the defense honest” phase… he’ll have even more reason to punt the ball this year because I expect the defense to be damn good…. my hope is the running game is that good that it won’t matter when they are force feeding the backs in January while taking it out of the best offensive player in the world hands.

You must have missed last January   

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I believe it was Tony Romo who said during the Chiefs/Bills divisional game that “the Bills got too conservative in the 3rd quarter offensively”. 

JA probably had the greatest QB postseason of all time.  Your take is embarrassing.  

20 hours ago, eball said:

With this group, there are only minor concerns. But position coach to OC is a big joke. Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge Daboll fan at first but he had like 10 years of OC experience to fall back on. Luckily, Dorsey is inherited a very developed Allen which should make things easier. But I definitely want the first team to get some reps in preseason because it will be an adjustment for all parties. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

00:13....

McD is the primary weak link in this franchise.  Not just because of 13 seconds, but rather his vision for roster priorities.  

He has every defensive piece a former coordinator from that side of the ball could ever wish for.  He has to win now or it's an indictment of his overall coaching philosophy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With this group, there are only minor concerns. But position coach to OC is a big joke. Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge Daboll fan at first but he had like 10 years of OC experience to fall back on. Luckily, Dorsey is inherited a very developed Allen which should make things easier. But I definitely want the first team to get some reps in preseason because it will be an adjustment for all parties. 

I think a half's worth of work for Dorsey and Allen in preseason should be enough.  And Dorsey will be calling plays the whole preseason anyway.

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD is the primary weak link in this franchise.  Not just because of 13 seconds, but rather his vision for roster priorities.  

He has every defensive piece a former coordinator from that side of the ball could ever wish for.  He has to win now or it's an indictment of his overall coaching philosophy.  

My goodness...so dramatic.  Your post should be played with a foreboding soundtrack.

Geez, man...you and Scott should lighten up a bit.  It's as if the past five years of dragging this franchise up from the depths of mediocrity mean nothing because they didn't sign the players YOU thought they should.

This is a fun time to be a Bills fan.  It's ok to have a contrary opinion about roster construction but you guys are treating this like life and death.

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.