Training Camp practice 8/2

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So you’ve missed my point entirely or just choose to ignore it. 👌🏻

I didn't miss your point, I said I watched you complain about the defense and then seen you complaining we have spent money to make the defense better.  

And we did address our OL this offseason, you just didn't like the moves, but that isn't saying much because I can't think of anything you ever positive on that the Bills do.

Besides just making moves on the OL, one thing that I think is going to help the OL ultimately is the change to Kromer, and thats a move I think that keeps getting forgotten and over looked.  

People panicking right now before the starting OL gets to play together is premature.  We have some new additions and a new blocking scheme and new offense in general to install, and the starting unit hasn't taken any reps as a complete group yet.  

• Like (+1) 2

Random observations from today's practice

- Mercifully cloudy today and much cooler - perfect weather

- Looking into the stadium field as players walked in - when I first looked Araiza was doing the jugs, and Haack was hanging around him.  When Araiza finished they both started walking in together talking, I was struck by the weird dynamic that they are competing for one spot and always together - many times away from the rest of the team.  Someone at the tunnel called Haack over for autographs and he came over the Araiza awkwardly followed  

- Was surprised seeing him up close that Haack is pretty solidly built - right now in a fight between any other teams top two punters and ours - I'll take ours every time

- Maddy Glab walked the entire length of the walk on the track from the building to the tunnel with McKenzie - didn't look like she was recording or doing an interview - just looked like a casual conversation

- Sweeney, Poyer, Cook, Singletary and Pau'u did the jugs before going to the practice field

- Without a helmet Hodgkins has a very muppet vibe

- McD was in all black sweatsuit - with big white hat.  If it was a western not sure if he's be the good guy or bad guy.  Maybe the message was - tough but fair?

- Before warm-ups DJ played Jailhouse Rock, and immediately Diggs did a little jig in front of Allan - who then pointed at him and said something - I can only imagine it was something to the effect "I told you this s#($ was good!"

- Shortly after that was when Josh did the bounce of Phillips and fake fight with Hyde.  Last two days Josh was very loose and sometimes even goofy at the start - but then gets very serious once the real work begins

- DJ mixed it up a bit today - when Jumping Jack Flash started I immediately scanned for player reactions and - none.  Different generation I guess.  When a country song came on Knox was hype - dancing and more animated than I ever saw him  Von was dancing a lot today

- Tim Settle is not necessarily an intimidating physical figure with no pads.  From the back 'rotund' is a word I would use

- Lots of ST work - even more than yesterday.  In the "which of these don't belong file": they were doing a ST drill on both sides where one guy would try to block another from getting a "ball carrier".  One one side the ball carriers were four random staff members, on the other they were Araiza, Haack, Ferguson, and ...Tavon Austin?  He was not with the returners so I guess they just threw him there since he had no place to go 

- Just like yesterday poor Knox and Howard were stuck with the TE coach during the ST period doing the same routes over and over - at least this time they changed up some of the routes.  Maybe should have thrown Austin in with those guys instead to spice it up a bit

- Austin did have a couple nice catches today

- I didn't realize Crowder was so small - McKittrick fun-size

- During ST coverage reps each time #59 was in he would whoop and yell at the end of the play.  Had to look that one up - #59 is Kingsley Johnathon on your Bills roster web page accessed from your phone - and no that is not backwards.  I guess showing enthusiasm is one way to try to get noticed

- They did a punt block drill where guys would come in and get the ball at a point just off the kicker's foot - it was pretty half speed but the intent was there

- Chad Hall has a lot of energy

- Receivers were doing drills for a while running different patterns around cones for 10-15 yd passes.  Kudos to the Bills staff member in the red shirt who was throwing darts in that drill - just throwing one high velocity accurate rope after another - dude was a machine -  non-stop for like 10-15 minutes.  One of the many nameless unsung heroes of camp

- McCloud seems to play with a real edge

- I watched Elam closely.  He definitely likes to get his hands all over guys, but I didn't see any holds.  Will be interesting to see what refs think of his style of play

- They tried a jet sweep to McKittrick that he fumbled and failed.  I assume he's just really trying to prove he's not a gadget guy 

- Von played some on the left side today

- Lots of red zone and goal line.  The D was just a brick wall against runs - no chance.  There were multiple TDs that Josh made out of nothing.  He had one beautful throw while running full speed after play broke down to Davis in the corner - another nice one to Diggs in the back of the EZ after scrambling around 

- Josh did one QB keeper near goal line, he went through the line and Elam was coming full speed and before he got within 2 yds of Josh he threw up his hands dramatically like "I ain't gonna touch him!"

- On a related note - near the end of practice they were doing more STs drills leaving the others to just do random stuff.  One drill for the others was a gauntlet of staff with pads and sticks with boxing gloves to try to hit the ball out.  There were two groups - one QBS and RBs, the other WRs.  I see Josh is going to be the first one through in his group and my first thought is "Don't touch Josh!" - and Josh runs through and they all gave him these little baby taps it was humerous.  When Diggs went through once he actually fumbled - and the staff member who caused it with the boxing glove stick was so happy - so him and Diggs were good-naturedly talking trash and Diggs threw a ball at him at the end of the drill

- Keenum looked sharp to me today 

- They did a 2-2, 1-1 WR/DB drill for a while in the RZ.  Josh had some nisfires, but overall was accurate - esp dropped multiple dimes on fade routes - receivers in general were doing a nice job on those routes too attacking the ball and controlling their body to land in bounds.  Actually all three QBs did a nice job on the touch passes during that drill putting the ball where the recievers then made the play

- Sweeney had a chance to make a couple difficult catches but couldn't quite haul them in (the 2nd a defender ripped it out on a good play) - both were like you couldn't kill him for not catching, but if he had just been able to finish would have been very good for him

- When Poyer came off the way he and the trainer was holding his arm didn't look good - he was in real pain

- Towards the end, the offense was on one side and defense on the other with some ST stuff in middle - Diggs came over to the defense side to talk to Hyde and Dane Jackson - he was animated (again) discussing something involving some route.  Diggs is very engaged throughout

- The last play was a trick play where Knox got the ball and looked like he was supposed to throw to Josh running into EZ (who was open) but for some reason didn't throw it and ran it instead.  Him and Josh had some back/forth after - crowd would have loved practice ending with Josh catching a TD.  Thanks for nothing Knox

- After practice, met one of my best friends since HS who now lives in Fairport for lunch at a local establishment - and a member of the local sports media was at the table next to us.   So today on my bday (LAMP), I went to camp practice with my Dad with perfect weather, had a great lunch after with him and my best friend, and shook the hand of Coach Sal :) 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 16

12 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The last play was a trick play where Knox got the ball and looked like he was supposed to throw to Josh running into EZ (who was open) but for some reason didn't throw it and ran it instead.  Him and Josh had some back/forth after - crowd would have loved practice ending with Josh catching a TD.  Thanks for nothing Knox

As much as I love a Josh Allen receiving TD, if we're doing a trick play like that and the skill position guy has a wide open lane to just run it in, just run it, don't need to get fancy just take the points.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

As much as I love a Josh Allen receiving TD, if we're doing a trick play like that and the skill position guy has a wide open lane to just run it in, just run it, don't need to get fancy just take the points.

Yeah, but I feel like they purposely did it as the last play of practice with intent to give the fans a thrill with Josh catching the TD

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who’s taller?

Maddy wasn't wearing cleats

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks but I'm confused.  There seems to be a goal line Diggs is not over in the video clip?  Or is that a back of the EZ marker?

Back of EZ

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- They tried a jet sweep to McKittrick that he fumbled and failed.  I assume he's just really trying to prove he's not a gadget guy 

Outstanding, Thank you for this!

I hope Chad Hall and his energy get through to McKenzie and get him refocused on "whatever you do, HANG ON TO THE BALL!" 

I heard he had a rough day all around (McKenzie I mean)

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Back of EZ

Thanks

28 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Looking into the stadium field as players walked in - when I first looked Araiza was doing the jugs, and Haack was hanging around him.  When Araiza finished they both started walking in together talking, I was struck by the weird dynamic that they are competing for one spot and always together - many times away from the rest of the team.  Someone at the tunnel called Haack over for autographs and he came over the Araiza awkwardly followed  

- Was surprised seeing him up close that Haack is pretty solidly built - right now in a fight between any other teams top two punters and ours - I'll take ours every time

- Maddy Glab walked the entire length of the walk on the track from the building to the tunnel with McKenzie - didn't look like she was recording or doing an interview - just looked like a casual conversation

- Sweeney, Poyer, Cook, Singletary and Pau'u did the jugs before going to the practice field

- McD was in all black sweatsuit - with big white hat.  If it was a western not sure if he's be the good guy or bad guy.  Maybe the message was - tough but fair?

- Before warm-ups DJ played Jailhouse Rock, and immediately Diggs did a little jig in front of Allan - who then pointed at him and said something - I can only imagine it was something to the effect "I told you this s#($ was good!"

- Shortly after that was when Josh did the bounce of Phillips and fake fight with Hyde.  Last two days Josh was very loose and sometimes even goofy at the start - but then gets very serious once the real work begins

- DJ mixed it up a bit today - when Jumping Jack Flash started I immediately scanned for player reactions and - none.  Different generation I guess.  When a country song came on Knox was hype - dancing and more animated than I ever saw him  Von was dancing a lot today

- Tim Settle is not necessarily an intimidating physical figure with no pads.  From the back 'rotund' is a word I would use

- Lots of ST work - even more than yesterday.  In the "which of these don't belong file": they were doing a ST drill on both sides where one guy would try to block another from getting a "ball carrier".  One one side the ball carriers were four random staff members, on the other they were Araiza, Haack, Ferguson, and ...Tavon Austin?  He was not with the returners so I guess they just threw him there since he had no place to go 

- Just like yesterday poor Knox and Howard were stuck with the TE coach during the ST period doing the same routes over and over - at least this time they changed up some of the routes.  Maybe should have thrown Austin in with those guys instead to spice it up a bit

- During ST coverage reps each time #59 was in he would whoop and yell at the end of the play.  Had to look that one up - #59 is Kingsley Johnathon on your Bills roster web page accessed from your phone - and no that is not backwards.  I guess showing enthusiasm is one way to try to get noticed

- They did a punt block drill where guys would come in and get the ball at a point just off the kicker's foot - it was pretty half speed but the intent was there

- Receivers were doing drills for a while running different patterns around cones for 10-15 yd passes.  Kudos to the Bills staff member in the red shirt who was throwing darts in that drill - just throwing one high velocity accurate rope after another - dude was a machine -  non-stop for like 10-15 minutes.  One of the many nameless unsung heroes of camp

- I watched Elam closely.  He definitely likes to get his hands all over guys, but I didn't see any holds.  Will be interesting to see what refs think of his style of play

- Lots of red zone and goal line.  The D was just a brick wall against runs - no chance.  There were multiple TDs that Josh made out of nothing.  He had one beautful throw while running full speed after play broke down to Davis in the corner - another nice one to Diggs in the back of the EZ after scrambling around 

- Josh did one QB keeper near goal line, he went through the line and Elam was coming full speed and before he got within 2 yds of Josh he threw up his hands dramatically like "I ain't gonna touch him!"

- On a related note - near the end of practice they were doing more STs drills leaving the others to just do random stuff.  One drill for the others was a gauntlet of staff with pads and sticks with boxing gloves to try to hit the ball out.  There were two groups - one QBS and RBs, the other WRs.  I see Josh is going to be the first one through in his group and my first thought is "Don't touch Josh!" - and Josh runs through and they all gave him these little baby taps it was humerous.  When Diggs went through once he actually fumbled - and the staff member who caused it with the boxing glove stick was so happy - so him and Diggs were good-naturedly talking trash and Diggs threw a ball at him at the end of the drill

- They did a 2-2, 1-1 WR/DB drill for a while in the RZ.  Josh had some nisfires, but overall was accurate - esp dropped multiple dimes on fade routes - receivers in general were doing a nice job on those routes too attacking the ball and controlling their body to land in bounds.  Actually all three QBs did a nice job on the touch passes during that drill putting the ball where the recievers then made the play

- Sweeney had a chance to make a couple difficult catches but couldn't quite haul them in (the 2nd a defender ripped it out on a good play) - both were like you couldn't kill him for not catching, but if he had just been able to finish would have been very good for him

- When Poyer came off the way he and the trainer was holding his arm didn't look good - he was in real pain

- Towards the end, the offense was on one side and defense on the other with some ST stuff in middle - Diggs came over to the defense side to talk to Hyde and Dane Jackson - he was animated (again) discussing something involving some route.  Diggs is very engaged throughout

- The last play was a trick play where Knox got the ball and looked like he was supposed to throw to Josh running into EZ (who was open) but for some reason didn't throw it and ran it instead.  Him and Josh had some back/forth after - crowd would have loved practice ending with Josh catching a TD.  Thanks for nothing Knox

- After practice, met one of my best friends since HS who now lives in Fairport for lunch at a local establishment - and a member of the local sports media was at the table next to us.   So today on my bday (LAMP), I went to camp practice with my Dad with perfect weather, had a great lunch after with him and my best friend, and shook the hand of Coach Sal :) 

Another outstanding report, thanks stevewin! :thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Just like yesterday poor Knox and Haack were stuck with the TE coach during the ST period doing the same routes over and over - at least this time they changed up some of the routes.  Maybe should have thrown Austin in with those guys instead to spice it up a bit

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the report!

We are going to have a hard time stashing some of our DBs on the practice squad this year.

Looks like Benford, Cam Lewis, and McCloud are all looking great. You can bet the Giants will steal Lewis and McCloud if we cut them to try to get them on PS. And Frazier pumping up Benford today makes it seem like he may make the roster, so long as he can play ST. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up for us. Your style is easy to read and I enjoy your entertaining perspectives.  Keep ‘em coming!

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We are going to have a hard time stashing some of our DBs on the practice squad this year.

Looks like Benford, Cam Lewis, and McCloud are all looking great. You can bet the Giants will steal Lewis and McCloud if we cut them to try to get them on PS. And Frazier pumping up Benford today makes it seem like he may make the roster, so long as he can play ST. 

Agreed. Pat Kirwin was in camp today and noticed Benford for the first time. He was very impressed with how well he covered Diggs. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up for us. Your style is easy to read and I enjoy your entertaining perspectives.  Keep ‘em coming!

Agreed. Pat Kirwin was in camp today and noticed Benford for the first time. He was very impressed with how well he covered Diggs. 

I might need to subscribe to Sirius 

7 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Most of America are out of weight and in terrible shape. We have a terrible drinking/eating culture here. Mafia included. 

73.4% of the US adult population 20 and over was either obese or overweight as of 2018.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.