Training Camp practice 8/2

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd really like to know why Josh overreacted.  Was very out-of-character.

I don't think it was a huge over reaction. You can't touch the QB. Josh spoke to him earlier in practice that he needs to pull  back. Then JP gives him a little pop after the whistle. It is not particularly egregious but it certainly disrespectful and subversive.

You don't touch the QB in the red jersey in practice. Before the whistle. 

Touching him after the whistle is sacrilege. 
You become hyper protective if he is a top 5 QB. 

When said top 5 QB pulls you aside to tell you you need to pull back a bit. You stay away and mouth off about how you coulda gotten him if it weren't for the jersey. 

The fact that JP did that post whistle after Josh had already talked to him is absolutely wild to me. 

• Like (+1) 3

I obviously don't want to see Jordan Poyer miss any time at all. He's an All-Pro and a bona fide stud at safety.

That said, if -- IF -- he has to miss any time, I'm excited to see what Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin can do in his place. It's possible that one or both of them are in line to be the successors at safety in the coming years. Both have made plays at times and garnered praise from the coaching staff. 

Heck, even behind them, the Bills have Nick McCloud and potentially Christian Benford. Two talented youngsters who came into the league as corners but have either seen time at safety (McCloud) or been discussed as an option to get snaps there (Benford).

Might be time for the youngsters to step up and show their stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Saffold has been banged up, struggles in pass protection, and has fallen off a bit the past couple years so I was hoping for someone younger and better to really solidify the unit inside….like an Andrew Norwell and I was hoping for better competition at RT than Quessenberry who sucked in pass protection last season when he played.… either way, I would’ve prioritized it more than the defensive line. A strong offensive line and keeping Josh upright is more imperative to their success than is a strong 8 man defensive line rotation IMO. 

Peters is still out there, maybe they bring him in if things turn bad to start the season and he’s still available and willing. 

Peters is 40, there’s no way he has anything left in the tank. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Interesting drill from Chad Hall for the WR, is this common?

Isn't Parrino the reporter with the fighting background?

Man, look at Davis's thighs.

He really had been hitting the gym - geeze.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's because the DL depth are rotational starters, not backups. The backup to Dion Dawkins is only going to see the field if Dawkins gets injured. Settle and Phillips are going to see something like 30% of the snaps. Every team in the league rotates their DL, it isn't McDermott specific. So of course the DL depth will always look better than other positions' depth.

You’d think this would be rather obvious to anyone who has watched games around the league for a while, especially since more emphasis was placed on the passing game league wide. DL depth is simply a higher priority given the nature of the game today. 

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I obviously don't want to see Jordan Poyer miss any time at all. He's an All-Pro and a bona fide stud at safety.

That said, if -- IF -- he has to miss any time, I'm excited to see what Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin can do in his place. It's possible that one or both of them are in line to be the successors at safety in the coming years. Both have made plays at times and garnered praise from the coaching staff. 

Heck, even behind them, the Bills have Nick McCloud and potentially Christian Benford. Two talented youngsters who came into the league as corners but have either seen time at safety (McCloud) or been discussed as an option to get snaps there (Benford).

Might be time for the youngsters to step up and show their stuff.

Same here…I wish the best for Poyer…with regards to the team, we have plenty of depth 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Saffold has been banged up, struggles in pass protection, and has fallen off a bit the past couple years so I was hoping for someone younger and better to really solidify the unit inside….like an Andrew Norwell and I was hoping for better competition at RT than Quessenberry who sucked in pass protection last season when he played.… either way, I would’ve prioritized it more than the defensive line. A strong offensive line and keeping Josh upright is more imperative to their success than is a strong 8 man defensive line rotation IMO. 

Peters is still out there, maybe they bring him in if things turn bad to start the season and he’s still available and willing. 

Can't hate the Norwell suggestion.  We could've afforded his contract.  It seems that they targeted Saffold from the jump.. we'll see if that was a good decision.  

Kromer is a beast, so I'm pretty open to giving his personnel decisions the benefit of the doubt for now.  

I just don't know what could have been done at RT.  Sky is the limit for this OL if Brown hits, and they clearly believe in him, but with his injury history.. scary gamble on a guy trusted to protect the Franchise.  

RT is becoming as valuable as LT in the modern NFL.  Top tier dudes rarely become available, and if they are, they require 4 yr/Big Dollar investments.  Even if we sacrificed rotational DL guys, we still don't have that money/future cap space, and Phillips is a 1 year deal.. Settle/Jones on 2 year deals.  Nobody on the DL, outside Von, is a vet under contract beyond 2 years.  

They opted for Quessenberry, a Kromer fit, who doesn't break the bank but has shown he can start in this league.  I'd be lying if I said that I'm not concerned about RT as of early August, but I just don't know what the answer was.. aside from drafting a Tackle early, but Trevor Penning went 19 and we basically have that same dude entering year 2 in Spencer Brown.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is it just me or does this seem like the most competitive camp we’ve had in a long time? 

Even PS players get a ring!

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wow, first thing I thought of too.  If Poyer is out for any significant length of time I wonder if it would be an open competition between the 2?

Physically I think Hamlin is better suited for SS.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think it was a huge over reaction. You can't touch the QB. Josh spoke to him earlier in practice that he needs to pull  back. Then JP gives him a little pop after the whistle. It is not particularly egregious but it certainly disrespectful and subversive.

You don't touch the QB in the red jersey in practice. Before the whistle. 

Touching him after the whistle is sacrilege. 
You become hyper protective if he is a top 5 QB. 

When said top 5 QB pulls you aside to tell you you need to pull back a bit. You stay away and mouth off about how you coulda gotten him if it weren't for the jersey. 

The fact that JP did that post whistle after Josh had already talked to him is absolutely wild to me. 

Just curious... how do we know josh had already asked him to lay off? Something I missed?

I really don't think any of this will be a big deal, but surprising to hear. Not a smart move, but hoping Phillips is extra motivated and has a chip on his shoulder from arz, the way he had one coming from mia

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Most of America are out of weight and in terrible shape. We have a terrible drinking/eating culture here. Mafia included. 

True, we have a mostly unfit population, if you are around my age, 64, there were very few fat people to be seen out and about when we were growing up, nowadays many children, teens, young  and middle age adults, are to me shockingly overweight and unfit, yet we all know the solution, it is the balance of calories in calories out, all food/drink calories, regardless of origin, not burned by being alive or through activity, are stored in one’s body as fat, yet folk love to pretend otherwise…,  being reasonably active/fit, and eating a reasonably good diet is the only way to live an active life into one’s inevitable old age… 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

You know something Don it's a little strange how some fans see the camp/preseason games.

We constantly hear how no one wants starters to play the preseason BUT everyone freaks out when players are kept out of

camp practices with minor injuries.  It seems to me missing some time and resting these guys to get 100% is the smart thing.

If the O-Line isn't fielding the starters until preseason games they can always get snaps with Keenum at QB.

This seems to happen every camp under McDermott.  Bills are known for holding these guys out and being overly cautious early in the year.  

I love that you called him Don :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.