Training Camp practice 8/2

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Watching this video just reminds me of the conditioning top NFL athletes have to be in.   If most people hop around like Tre is doing here, they’d be considered rehabbed and good to go. And he’s...how long away from being ready to play?

Most of America are out of weight and in terrible shape. We have a terrible drinking/eating culture here. Mafia included. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Against opponents I expect it. Not a teammate, much less a friend and mentor. 

They didn’t?

They signed two of tenessee’s starting OL, retained Bates and Boettger plus additional depth. No idea what he’s talking about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Awwufelloff said:

Most of America are out of weight and in terrible shape. We have a terrible drinking/eating culture here. Mafia included. 

No doubt.  Although I wouldn’t call my drinking habit terrible.  I’ve worked many hours to perfect an array of cocktails for enjoyment!    But I agree my cooking game could step up a couple notches. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Poyer is usually pretty tough and I doubt with how important this year is he wouldn’t try to push through it. Very concerned, hopefully nothing major. 

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Sounds like a broken arm…let’s hope for the best…🤞

Visibly in pain in that general area is not a good sign. The elbow/forearm area is a pretty sensitive area to where pain is a direct redflag vs other areas on the body. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Love the Von Miller signing…. Your forgetting Settle, Jones, Philips, and Shaq…. I guess you can continue to ignore my point with your straw man ways. They’ve dedicated a ***** ton of cap and draft picks for very good defensive line depth so the 8-9 man line rotation can work at the expense of other positions. 

Sure, it was a lot of signings, but those guys combined cap this year ($10M) is the same they paid for Star.

I know a lot of fans wanted Scherff signed at G but that was for $16M per year.

Beane and McDermott chose those 4 on DL and yes, the OL is thin in depth.  We all have to live with it and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Don’t like the reports I’m hearing of Elam being overly grabby. If he was a vet with a rep like Stephon Gilmore or Darrelle Revis, he could grab a ton and the refs would mostly keep the flags in their pockets… but as a rookie? I expect lots of flags if his style is so noticeable that the media reports on it daily.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You know something Don it's a little strange how some fans see the camp/preseason games.

We constantly hear how no one wants starters to play the preseason BUT everyone freaks out when players are kept out of

camp practices with minor injuries.  It seems to me missing some time and resting these guys to get 100% is the smart thing.

If the O-Line isn't fielding the starters until preseason games they can always get snaps with Keenum at QB.

This seems to happen every camp under McDermott.  Bills are known for holding these guys out and being overly cautious early in the year.  

McDermott just said this yesterday. It’s very common for guys to have little injuries pop up in 1st week of camp as well as be easing guys back after off-season surgery. The most important thing is that they are ready to play on Sept 9. The trainers manage each player according to that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott just said this yesterday. It’s very common for guys to have little injuries pop up in 1st week of camp as well as be easing guys back after off-season surgery. The most important thing is that they are ready to play on Sept 9. The trainers manage each player according to that. 

Thanks.  I didn't listen to his presser (just the tweets you and others posted of it).  Good to hear he is still cautious in early camp.

Your statement about Sept 9 is totally right IMO.  It's a long, long season!

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Love the Von Miller signing…. Your forgetting Settle, Jones, Philips, and Shaq…. I guess you can continue to ignore my point with your straw man ways. They’ve dedicated a ***** ton of cap and draft picks for very good defensive line depth so the 8-9 man line rotation can work at the expense of other positions. 

No need to get testy, buddy. We're all friends here.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree with you about the heavy investment on the Defense, but man... I don't know that I can go at them for their handling of the OL..

-Dawkins and Morse are studs.  

-They brought back Ryan Bates to be a starting OG, who Bills fans, and other teams fans, were all wanting.  

-They signed Roger Saffold to be the starting LG, on a stop-gap one year deal, as a guy who can also help Kromer install the system.  

-They signed decent vet depth in Quessenberry and Mancz.  Brought back Boettger to rehab on PUP.  

That leaves Brown at RT.  And you can criticize them for banking on Brown being A) Healed up from surgery and B) Capable of being that dude at RT... but we weren't really in a position to draft a RT that would be any better than Brown's potential or Quessenberry's ability.   We don't have the money to really tie up big $$$ into a long term RT contract via FA and/or trade.  

If I had to guess, Saffold was brought in as a stop-gap to hold down LG with quality play until we can spend a Day 2 pick on IOL next year.  Brown is the cost-controlled high potential hope at RT for the next 3 years.  That may or may not be the right decision.  

• Like (+1) 7

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve dedicated a ***** ton of cap and draft picks for very good defensive line depth so the 8-9 man line rotation can work at the expense of other positions. 

That's because the DL depth are rotational starters, not backups. The backup to Dion Dawkins is only going to see the field if Dawkins gets injured. Settle and Phillips are going to see something like 30% of the snaps. Every team in the league rotates their DL, it isn't McDermott specific. So of course the DL depth will always look better than other positions' depth.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I agree with you about the heavy investment on the Defense, but man... I don't know that I can go at them for their handling of the OL..

-Dawkins and Morse are studs.  

-They brought back Ryan Bates to be a starting OG, who Bills fans, and other teams fans, were all wanting.  

-They signed Roger Saffold to be the starting LG, on a stop-gap one year deal, as a guy who can also help Kromer install the system.  

-They signed decent vet depth in Quessenberry and Mancz.  Brought back Boettger to rehab on PUP.  

That leaves Brown at RT.  And you can criticize them for banking on Brown being A) Healed up from surgery and B) Capable of being that dude at RT... but we weren't really in a position to draft a RT that would be any better than Brown's potential or Quessenberry's ability.   We don't have the money to really tie up big $$$ into a long term RT contract via FA and/or trade.  

If I had to guess, Saffold was brought in as a stop-gap to hold down LG with quality play until we can spend a Day 2 pick on IOL next year.  Brown is the cost-controlled high potential hope at RT for the next 3 years.  That may or may not be the right decision.  

Dawkins was not 100% till late year. So we improved there. Bates completely changed the dynamic of this team when he came in, has a full training camp as starter. Saffold is a nice piece. Spencer Brown situation sucks. Generally improved by continuity from last year.

Also, adding a stud in Kromer with a long history of success. On paper it looks like we made no moves, but in context it's just not true.

Compare that to our clear problems of beating mahomes from not being able to generate pressure, and I'd take that investment over adding to OL.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

You guys are awfully particular for folks who are getting a free information feed from a volunteer crew.

Ro-roh for Speedy:

"pulled up limping" hammy or groin?

Maybe foot.

I am being a bit more critical because he left the board in a bit of a huff. Not that I am taking sides. I miss the guy. But when you leave a Bills message board over content, at least get the names right. 

Somebody pointed out that he is probably using voice to text, which makes a ton of sense. Total oversight on my part. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.