Mitch Trubisky talks about his time in Buffalo. Interesting Read.

Protocal69

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/01/steelers-transition-mitch-trubisky-deebo-samuel-dk-metcalf

At the same time, when he catches highlights of his time as a Bear—and those have been hard for him to avoid—he’ll concede that he does see a different guy. He sees someone laboring to carry out his assignments. He sees someone thinking too much. He sees a robotic quarterback.

That’s where his time in Buffalo was so valuable.

“I would say I process quicker now. I know where I want to go with the ball,” he said. “I’m able to just trust my abilities and play a lot more free, not just go where the coach wants me to go with the football. I think it was a lot along the lines of just having a trust and being on the same page as the offensive coordinator. I felt like being in Buffalo, the quarterback had a lot more free rein to go where he wanted with the reads and go where he wanted with the ball, as opposed to Chicago.

“Even if you got a completion [in Chicago], I felt like sometimes it wasn’t necessarily what the coach wanted. They put you in a box a little bit more than you wanted to be, and I think that restricts you as a player. It’s just different experiences. In the end, we still won games. It’s just different team to team.”

And it’s interesting that he used the “box” metaphor there because it’s one, I’m told, the Bills’ coaches used with him. To explain how they wanted him to play, they told the story of how Bill Parcells would coach quarterbacks. “Here’s your box,” Parcells would say, and inside the box was all the quarterback’s reads and rules and fundamentals. Then, he’d say, the great quarterbacks are the ones who can step out of that box and know when to step out of that box to make it work.

In bringing the point they made to life, Trubisky raised an example from Buffalo last year.

“It was a touchdown,” he said. “I think it was Cover 2, and the safety was sunken inside. And he kind of just held him, and then went deep outside. It was a good two-on-one, and some coaches are like, When you get a two-high look let’s check the ball down, or get to a run. But in Buffalo, they like to be aggressive, and it’s like, Yo, if we can control that safety like Josh [Allen] does so well, and go down the field with it, why not exploit them and get a touchdown? And he got Emmanuel [Sanders] one on that.”

Trubisky couldn’t remember which game the play was from. So I looked it up for him and circled back with a 35-yard touchdown throw to Sanders from the team’s October win in Kansas City. He said that wasn’t it, then sent me the one he was referencing—a 34-yard bullet in the Bills’ playoff rout of the Patriots.

The mix-up only drove his point home. He called the plays “almost identical,” showing that these instances weren’t rare with Allen, and in seeing Allen make the offense his own, after his previous experiences, Trubisky felt like a kid at Disney World.

“Absolutely,” he said. “It was awesome. It was definitely eye-opening to me. It made me say, Why can’t I add that to my game? And that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Even better, the guys in Buffalo will vouch for that. In fact, Trubisky actually went to Brandon Beane after he riddled his former team in the preseason last year and articulated it to the Bills’ GM—who would’ve welcomed Trubisky back if the shot to start elsewhere hadn’t materialized for him.

“[Brian] Daboll and [Ken] Dorsey allowed Josh the freedom, if something else is there, to improvise, and make plays and basically play free,” Beane said. “Talking to Mitch, I know he felt like, as we were getting into preseason last year, he was starting to gain confidence and trust it, and play free, too. And generally, you follow the rules. But sometimes you see something, and the last time they gave you that look and you ran something, it would’ve been there. So you come back to it.”

Which is how, in a certain way, playing in Buffalo led Trubisky to start to see playing the position as an art again, rather than just a science.

“The difference between my experience in Chicago and what I saw in Buffalo is they allow Josh to go out there and play his game,” he continued. “In Chicago, they wanted me to play the coaches’ game. Call it whatever you will, that’s just how it felt to me. That was my experience, from what I saw in Chicago to what I saw in Buffalo.

“My experience in Buffalo, you’re not just going through progressions, you’re seeing the field. Sometimes I’d be on the sidelines, and I’d be like, He had a completion right here. But based on what the defense was doing, he also had [Stefon] Diggs on a deep post and we scored a touchdown. Those are things you’re seeing on the field that you can’t see from the sidelines, and vice versa.”

• Like (+1) 22
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 14

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I would argue that if Trubisky truly did turn the corner that Daboll would have brought him with him to the Giants.

Or Mitch smartly didn’t want to play in a Giants organization that will likely take three seasons to become competitive league wide…, Steelers or Giants, given the choice, The Steelers all day every day, 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I would argue that if Trubisky truly did turn the corner that Daboll would have brought him with him to the Giants.

Trubisky no doubt had a choice of a few teams to go to.  His selecting of Pittsburgh was a good decision IMO.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Or Mitch smartly didn’t want to play in a Giants organization that will likely take three seasons to become competitive league wide…, Steelers or Giants, given the choice, The Steelers all day every day, 

Just said the same thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

The Giants seem fairly high on Daniel Jones progressing.  Trubisky probably wanted a situation where there would be more of a real competition for a starting job instead of having to take a back seat yet again.  I could be wrong - just my opinion.

• Agree 1

I think we are going to learn a lot about how valuable (or invaluable) Daboll was to JA17's development and this offense in the coming months.

Because if Allen has any type of regression it will be easy to say it's because of Daboll's absence. Conversely if Daboll makes Daniel Jones look decent and the Giants surprise people this year he'll be considered a genius.

Just now, ChasBB said:

The Giants seem fairly high on Daniel Jones progressing.  Trubisky probably wanted a situation where there would be more of a real competition for a starting job instead of having to take a back seat yet again.  I could be wrong - just my opinion.

Well, being that the Giants new GM, didn’t pick up his fifth year option, I’m not so certain they are “high” on him, Jones had better turn his game around or he will be looking for new employment as a backup somewhere, jmo.

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Well, being that the Giants new GM, didn’t pick up his fifth year option, I’m not so certain they are “high” on him, Jones had better turn his game around or he will be looking for new employment as a backup somewhere, jmo.

Fair point!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, AmishRifle said:

I think that’s a great article.  Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I think we will miss Dabs this year.  

Dabs was a product of Allen more than Allen was a product of Dabs, that and the Giants for all intent and purpose don’t have a QB, Daniel Jones Is no Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Anything on how his first week at Steelers TC went? Last I heard he was the #1.

That's what I heard as well but he's in a tough spot right now. He's following a HoF QB who had achieved near god-like status in town and he has a 1st round pick, who played for the hometown college, right behind him.  He has to come out of the blocks on fire and pretty much stay that way to keep the Roethlisberger comparisons/criticisms in check and to keep the locals from calling for Pickett.

I know it's hindsight and easier to say now but the Giants would have been an easier place. The incumbent QB has disappointed, didn't get his 5th year option picked up, and has some stink on him. The new HC and GM both have more of a connection to MT than to Jones at this point and if Jones comes out bad, or gets hurt again, the locals would be the ones clamoring for MT to play.   Sure, MT is the starter right now in Pittsburgh. I just think it's more likely that he'd be the starter in NY at the end of year than in Pittsburgh. That said, if he IS still starting in Pittsburgh at the end of the year that means he played really well and Pittsburgh won a lot of games. If one or the other of those things doesn't happen, you'll see Pickett.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That's what I heard as well but he's in a tough spot right now. He's following a HoF QB who had achieved near god-like status in town and he has a 1st round pick, who played for the hometown college, right behind him.  He has to come out of the blocks on fire and pretty much stay that way to keep the Roethlisberger comparisons/criticisms in check and to keep the locals from calling for Pickett.

Despite the media's insistence on pushing another narrative, Stiller fans were done with Roethlisberger well before he retired and following him is not likely to be an issue in the short term. They also seem to recognize that Pickett is likely nothing but the #3 guy this year. 

Mitch is competing with Mason Rudolph for the starting spot and will likely beat him out.

imo, Trubisky's biggest worry is probably surviving behind an abysmal offensive line.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Dabs was a product of Allen more than Allen was a product of Dabs, that and the Giants for all intent and purpose don’t have a QB, Daniel Jones Is no Josh Allen. 

Agreed. That’s the case for virtually every OC as well. They’re only as good as their quarterback. At the end of the day they can’t throw the football or go through the progressions. Allen’s not going to suddenly forgot how to throw a football or scramble because Daboll is gone.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Despite the media's insistence on pushing another narrative, Stiller fans were done with Roethlisberger well before he retired and following him is not likely to be an issue in the short term. 

Tell that to the many Steeler fans I know.  Also, it's easier to say that now. If the team struggles because of QB play it will become more of a problem.  Pickett is also already taking reps with the 2s.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Tell that to the many Steeler fans I know.  Also, it's easier to say that now. If the team struggles because of QB play it will become more of a problem.  Pickett is also already taking reps with the 2s.

I've lived in Western PA for most of the last 30 years.

And Tomlin has already said that every QB will be running with every group and that the rotation means nothing.

Ben's game had been disintegrating before our eyes for years and he was downright awful last season. Nobody wanted him back and I seriously doubt that any comparisons to Roethlisberger will carry any weight outside of people who want to sell newspapers.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.