How will Von Miller line up?

BillsM@fia

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, not really. He's always been a DE/Rush OLB. Dropping him back into coverage is the more along the idea as dropping Hughes or Mario back into coverage. He's just better at it.

He isn't a Linebacker, imo. His responsibilities are those of a DE.

Speaking of Hughes, I think he basically fills that exact spot. Just better. (No offense, Jerry)

Yeah he’s Jerry’s spot. That just a bit better may lead to 15 sack season 

I don't think nor hope they just use him exaclty as they did Hughes. He is too good rushing out of a 2 pt stance. However, for the most part he will be just like Hughes as the fourth DL in the nickel package, rushing the passer. That is why he is here and what he needs to do better than Hughes did.

I would like to see them run some more 4-3 with Von as a stand up OLB with a combination of Rousseau, Lawson, and Basham rotating as the DEs.

As for dropping back in coverage, yes he will do that from time to time. Every defense in the NFL has DL guys drop in coverage from time to time. McD and Frazier are no different. They drop DEs and DTs rarely so they can blitz other guys off the edge like Johnson and Poyer. 

What will be interesting to see is they lined up Edmunds as a 2 point outside rusher 1-3 plays a game last season, and let Klein or Milano play MLB. Will they still do that? Will they sit Milano and or Edmunds a few snaps a game to let Miller pass rush with a DE in front of him ( effectively forcing the opponent to block him with a TE or RB)?

While McD and Frazier are conservative I dont think they are unimaginative.  Most opponents and commentators talk about how the defense is difficult to read.

My guess is they will experiment with several things and at the same time keep him fresh for the playoffs.  They have solid depth on the DL, there is no reason to overuse him early. Let the young kids bang away on the run situations and bring in Miller on 3rd and long.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So Rosseau will be our starting RDE?  Miller LDE?

I think that will be the plan 

Miller can move around the line but his bread and butter is his ability to convert speed to power during his rush 

That’s most optimal over the right tackle

• Awesome! (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/3224175/2022/04/05/von-miller-buffalo-bills-film-review/?amp=1

This article from The Athletic is about exactly this topic.  I do not have a subscription and was able to read it.  He’s best over RT and I would expect him to get the majority of his reps there.  The big question raised by this is how it will impact Rousseau, who played in the same spot all last year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.