How will Von Miller line up?

BillsM@fia

Maybe those who have attended training camp can enlighten me.  

So Von Millers natural position is linebacker, although pass rushing linebacker.  We run nickel defense most of the time and Milano/Edmunds are our two linebackers in the 4-2-5.  

I am curious as to how we exactly plan to utilize him.  I am not sure having him line up as DE with his hands in the dirt will be getting the most out of him (maybe it is IDK).  I think this is a good problem to have and Frazier/McDermott can really get creative with some of our looks/disguises. 

Also makes me wonder who will be our other DE if we aren't having Von Miller line up exclusively there.  Boogie?  Lawson?  

If this has been discussed, I apologize in advance. 

Edited by BillsM@fia

10 minutes ago, BillsM@fia said:

So Von Millers natural position is linebacker, although pass rushing linebacker. 

I mean, not really. He's always been a DE/Rush OLB. Dropping him back into coverage is the more along the idea as dropping Hughes or Mario back into coverage. He's just better at it.

He isn't a Linebacker, imo. His responsibilities are those of a DE.

Speaking of Hughes, I think he basically fills that exact spot. Just better. (No offense, Jerry)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, not really. He's always been a DE/Rush OLB. Dropping him back into coverage is the same idea as dropping Hughes or Mario back into coverage.

He isn't a Linebacker.

Every Single 34 outside linebacker drops into coverage on occasion including von 

It’s a massive part of the 34 overload packages

But we don’t run out here so he probably won’t be dropping

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Every Single 34 outside linebacker drops into coverage on occasion including von 

It’s a massive part of the 34 overload packages

But we don’t run out here so he probably won’t be dropping

Our defense rolls people all over the place, I think there were moments where even Ed Oliver went into coverage.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Our defense rolls people all over the place, I think there were moments where even Ed Oliver went into coverage.

I know Rex Would occasionally drop a DT

I can’t recall McDermott really doing it off my head … Tho Maybe once a game he’ll dial up an overload on third down and drop the end on the opposite side

but it’s only 1 or 2 times a game

Edited by Buffalo716

Interesting video of him at his camp, advising younger players.   He spoke about the advantage of the three point stance on the edge, and mentioned the disadvantages of standing ‘flat footed’ and upright.

Now, I’m a fan, but i’m clearly not a tape or an x/o guy.   Some of you may know ….. does he like to stand, erect, or get into a 3 pt. stance?

My learned board friends will know more than me.

My Frazier experience - move great talent around and let the offense try to figure it out.   Seize initiative.   

He’s an edge rusher and always has been. The fact that he occasionally drops into coverage in certain D calls does not make him a linebacker. Nor does the fact that he sometimes rushes out of a two point stance vs. putting a hand in the dirt. He’s an edger rusher with versatility. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This type of conversation is why the NFL and its analysts have moved away from the "OLB vs DE" debate and instead simply label players like Von Miller "Edge defenders". 

A 3-4 outside linebacker and a 4-3 defensive end both do the same thing, generally speaking: they set the edge in the run game and rush the passer. Now that's not taking into account the minutia of their responsibilities, their rush technique, etc. It's simply pointing out that whatever scheme they are a part of, they will essentially be doing the same thing.

The old "3-4 OLB vs 4-3 DE" discussion becomes even more antiquated and obsolete when one considers the fact that the majority of NFL defenses use nickel as their true base defense anyway.

So what, generally speaking, will Von Miller be doing? The same thing he's always done: he'll be an edge defender. Setting the edge and rushing the passer. 

The question of whether or not he'll rush from a 3-point stance or from a standing start is a valid one, and I would imagine he'll be rushing from a standing start most of the time, as he has done the majority of his career. I also imagine that -- though the coaching staff has said he'll play both sides -- he's ultimately going to wind up lining up on the defensive left the majority of the time, as that is his most effective spot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

Interesting video of him at his camp, advising younger players.   He spoke about the advantage of the three point stance on the edge, and mentioned the disadvantages of standing ‘flat footed’ and upright.

Now, I’m a fan, but i’m clearly not a tape or an x/o guy.   Some of you may know ….. does he like to stand, erect, or get into a 3 pt. stance?

My learned board friends will know more than me.

My Frazier experience - move great talent around and let the offense try to figure it out.   Seize initiative.   

Generally he rushed from a standing angled 2 point stance the majority of his career

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsM@fia said:

Maybe those who have attended training camp can enlighten me.  

So Von Millers natural position is linebacker, although pass rushing linebacker.  We run nickel defense most of the time and Milano/Edmunds are our two linebackers in the 4-2-5.  

I am curious as to how we exactly plan to utilize him.  I am not sure having him line up as DE with his hands in the dirt will be getting the most out of him (maybe it is IDK).  I think this is a good problem to have and Frazier/McDermott can really get creative with some of our looks/disguises. 

Also makes me wonder who will be our other DE if we aren't having Von Miller line up exclusively there.  Boogie?  Lawson?  

If this has been discussed, I apologize in advance. 

I expect to see him moved around like Lorenzo Alexander used to.  If the other d-ends show they’re ready to make the jump we can move Von all over the place. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.