Training Camp practice 8/1

YoloinOhio

Just now, John from Riverside said:

It was it was a question is is an overrated number one overall defense where did it really sit it didn’t sit at the bottom of the lead if it was number one

Your left your word salad machine on. 

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills Defense played 4 good offenses all year. 

Chiefs during their slump, Titans w/ Henry, Colts and Bucs. 

1-3 in those 4 games, with the Defense providing barely mediocre resistance (at best) in the losses. 

Well no.......you are omitting one of the more high scoring offenses in the NFL.

The Patriots offense was better than both TN and Indy.

The Bills played and dominated NE defensively 3 times on their way to being the only team in the NFL to give up less than 300 points on the season.

If you had said before the season that the Bills would go 1-2 on the road versus KC, TN and Tampa.........nobody would have been surprised............the Indy game was a disaster but the offense and ST's were atrocious that day as well.

What really hurt was losing to two of the worst offenses in the NFL..........Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.........despite dominating them defensively.

6 points against winless, league worst Jacksonville was one of the worst offensive showings and most inexcusable losses in Bills history.     Defense didn't allow a TD that day.

In his article about today's practice, Joe Buscaglia in The Athletic says that Shakir had an absolutely brutal day.   Several drops, deflection for INT, muffed punt.   All of a sudden he really was struggling.  He says Shakir is still a lock.  

Shakir’s Monday morning got off to a rocky start during a half-speed session, where he let a pass go right through his hands and deflected to a defender. McDermott likely didn’t want to end the drill with a mental lapse, so he had them take two more snaps before the practice got underway. Shakir’s shakiness with the ball continued throughout the day.

Shakir worked in as a punt returner while punters Matt Haack and Matt Araiza were going through their reps, and Shakir muffed one punt and bobbled a couple of others. From there, in team drills, one Keenum pass went through Shakir’s hands and was picked off by the defense. Shakir added another drop to the day, but this one deflected into the air and left tackle Dion Dawkins ran under it for a comical catch. Shakir’s final opportunity in team drills came on a quick throw from Allen that cornerback Dane Jackson helped break up, but Shakir got both hands on the pass. While that one wasn’t a classic drop, it’s one you’d like to see the receiver come down with in a contested situation.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thought they played really well in the 2nd half of that Bucs game, Titans game they couldn’t stop ***** for the 2nd year in a row and had absolutely 0 pass rush on Tannehill, same with the Colts game.

Defense really struggled vs power running team's like the Titans and colts. For playoffs that season was scared for the Bills to play any of those teams. Was super glad to play Patriots first.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

In his article about today's practice, Joe Buscaglia in The Athletic says that Shakir had an absolutely brutal day.   Several drops, deflection for INT, muffed punt.   All of a sudden he really was struggling.  He says Shakir is still a lock.  

Could of had a off day. Still have high hopes for shakir.

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

On paper, I think Buffalo has the best Defense in the NFL heading into this year .. but last year, they were wildly mediocre against any good QB.  We were “shenanigans on a Matt Ryan slide” away from going down to the wire at home against Atlanta in poor conditions. 

Yeah...........the offense almost cost Buffalo a W that day.

Josh Allen had one of the worst days of his career passing the ball........... 11-26 for 120 yards 0 TD's and 3 interceptions.

There is a misconception that the offense was great after the first half in Tampa............the Carolina and Atlanta games were actually offensive struggles despite the score.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a misconception that the offense was great after the first half in Tampa............the Carolina and Atlanta games were actually offensive struggles despite the score.

The offense struggled many times last year and IMO the defense is/was overrated which is why I smh when people discount articles that wonder if the Bills will win 12 games. I get that it isn't what you want to hear but they are playing likely a good portion of this season without Tre White and our corner depth is all unproven, the offensive line is still a weakness and a lot of it is broken and the RT has a back problem, the running game is still a huge question mark, they have a new play caller who has never had that role and nobody knows how that's going to go, etc.

People want to act like the offense was a juggernaut because how the season ended but in real life they had big time issues a lot of the time last year. People also want to wave around the #1 defense as though they didn't get absolutely torched by the Chiefs all game long forget about how it ended. If you can't defend for 13 seconds you aren't #1 of anything, I'm sorry. They needed the defense to make one stop to win that game. One. They had 2 chances to get that one stop and they couldn't do it. Not only couldn't they do it they barely slowed KC down. Does Von Miller fix all that? I kinda doubt it.

It's unpopular to say it, I know it, I just won't be surprised if they struggle again.  Particularly early in the season. There are still a LOT of things to work out and the schedule does them no favors this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For all of that investment in the DL they haven't had a double digit sacker in McD's 5 seasons here.........the longest such streak for the Bills since sacks became an official stat.

In Carolina, Gettleman drafted more players (1) who had a 10 sack season than have Beane/McD here (0).

When you're looking up at Gettleman something's dreadfully wrong.  Not saying a guy like Rousseau can't get there, but it's an indictment of the organization's talent evaluation they haven't identified one yet who can do that...especially for a defensive scheme that has to get pressure from the front 4. 

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

In the MattvsMatt Puntapalooza, Buscaglia says Araiza won the day, his 2nd straight practice win. The results after 8 punts:

Haack

Avg yards: 43.1

Hang time: 4.46

Araiza

Avg yards: 48.4

Hang time: 4.39

I want to see the numbers about how they do getting balls to stop or go OB inside the 10. I also want there to be at least one windy day for both the punters and the potential returners.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

In Carolina, Gettleman drafted more players (1) who had a 10 sack season than have Beane/McD here (0).

When you're looking up at Gettleman something's dreadfully wrong.  Not saying a guy like Rousseau can't get there, but it's an indictment of the organization's talent evaluation they haven't identified one yet who can do that...especially for a defensive scheme that has to get pressure from the front 4. 

Agreed. Some of these guys need to start panning out. Now. 

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

In the MattvsMatt Puntapalooza, Buscaglia says Araiza won the day, his 2nd straight practice win. The results after 8 punts:

Haack

Avg yards: 43.1

Hang time: 4.46

Araiza

Avg yards: 48.4

Hang time: 4.39

Is that really winning?  I'd say winning is having decisively better hang time & slightly better yardage.  Failing that to have even a slight edge, you've gotta be better in both metrics.

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh Allen had one of the worst days of his career passing the ball........... 11-26 for 120 yards 0 TD's and 3 interceptions.

He also had one of the best days of his career as a captain and a leader of men.

His insistence on keeping his chin up and continuing to grind on a gawdawful day inspired everybody around him and imo was the only reason the Bills managed to steal that game.

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

thanks John 

I thought I was going bonkers 

I was sure I posted it.
why was my Bills Tweet deleted ?

Yolo had posted the same vid about 30 seconds before you.

I try to eliminate duplicates to keep the board less cluttered.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.