Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  The NFL is clearly challenging the decision to give him only 6 games.  Also, why would the NFLPA's decision not to appeal the suspension decide not to attempt to seek an injunction if they sue in federal court?  It would be a suit they have a low chance of winning so wouldn't their strategy be to get Watson playing week 1 if possible while the court hears the case.  Are they precluded from doing so?

Their argument for an injunction is pretty weak when they already consented to the 6-game suspension.  That doesn't mean they won't still push for one, but I'd be surprised if a judge granted it.

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  The NFL is clearly challenging the decision to give him only 6 games.  Also, why would the NFLPA's decision not to appeal the suspension decide not to attempt to seek an injunction if they sue in federal court?  It would be a suit they have a low chance of winning so wouldn't their strategy be to get Watson playing week 1 if possible while the court hears the case.  Are they precluded from doing so?

because they accepted the decision. The only thing in question is the penalty. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Their argument for an injunction is pretty weak when they already consented to the 6-game suspension.  That doesn't mean they won't still push for one, but I'd be surprised if a judge granted it.

Their case in general would be weak, given the court's established refusal to override bargained for agreements.  I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for one either.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The 6 games have already been agreed-upon by all parties.  There is no need for an injunction since it won't take more than 2-1/2 months to make a decision on additional games.

two and a half months of possible waiting for the NFL to act? I know you can't be sure but dang I had hoped the hammer would fall sooner than 2 1/2 months from now.

But if the delay involves he losing more  money I'd be for that. 

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

two and a half months of possible waiting for the NFL to act? I know you can't be sure but dang I had hoped the hammer would fall sooner than 2 1/2 months from now.

But if the delay involves he losing more  money I'd be for that. 

No, the hammer will fall soon. I’m just saying it won’t take until game 7 of the season to make a decision on additional punishment so no need for a delay in the start of his penalty. 

Just now, Doc said:

No, the hammer will fall soon. I’m just saying it won’t take until game 7 of the season to make a decision on additional punishment so no need for a delay in the start of his penalty. 

Ohhh okay thank you for that Doc

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No but it will likely fail based off all the reports I've seen.

Also, Watson may not want the league to seek an injunction for financial reasons.  He loses $57,500 per game this year.  He'd lose about $2,550,000 per game next season.  If the suspension is extended to 10 to 14 games this year he may just want to take his medicine and not sue.  Not sure how he handles it if it's a year long suspension as the contract would then get pushed back a year.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

No but it will likely fail based off all the reports I've seen.

Also, Watson may not want the league to seek an injunction for financial reasons.  He loses $57,500 per game this year.  He'd lose about $2,550,000 per game next season.  If the suspension is extended to 10 to 14 games this year he may just want to take his medicine and not sue.  Not sure how he handles it if it's a year long suspension as the contract would then get pushed back a year.

He will get a hefty fine.  The NFL understands the game he and the Browns are playing 

47 minutes ago, CSBill said:

She may be the smartest person in Cleveland.

My favorite twitter reply to Carly Teller. Similar to later years of the 17 year Bills drought. Tough for Browns fans.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Haha (+1) 1

From NFL.com

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday explained the league's decision to pursue a one-year suspension for Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson and weighed in on the findings of an independent investigation into integrity of the game violations committed by the Dolphins.

Goodell told reporters that the evidence showed Watson committed multiple violations of the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

"We've seen the evidence," Goodell said following Tuesday's Special League Meeting in Minneapolis, which was called to allow for a vote on the sale of the Broncos. "[Disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson] was very clear about the evidence, should we enforce the evidence. That there was multiple violations here, and they were egregious, and it was predatory behavior. Those are things that we always felt were important for us to address in a way that's responsible."

In issuing a six-game suspension for Watson on Aug. 1, Robinson wrote that Watson engaged in "sexual assault; conduct that poses a genuine danger to the safety and well-being of another person; and conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity of the NFL." Robinson, however, noted that she was "bound 'by standards of fairness and consistency of treatment among players similarly situated' " in her decision for a six-game suspension despite the NFL seeking a yearlong ban.

The NFL officially appealed Watson's suspension on Aug. 3, and Goodell later designatedformer New Jersey Attorney General Peter C. Harvey to rule on the appeal. Goodell told reporters the right to appeal the decision is outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

"It's a part of the CBA that two parties have the right," Goodell said. "Either party could certainly challenge and appeal that and that was something that we thought was our right to do, as well as the NFLPA. So we decided it was the right thing to do."

Goodell added that he does not have a timeline for a decision from Harvey.

Goodell also was asked for his reaction to the investigation into the Dolphins organization. The NFL announced on Aug. 2 that the team will forfeit its 2023 first-round draft pick and 2024 third-round pick, and that team owner Stephen Ross has been suspended through Oct. 17.

"Integrity of the game's critically important," Goodell said Tuesday. "I think the finding was very clear on the tampering charges. While tanking clearly did not happen here, I think we all have to understand that our words and our actions have implications, can be interpreted and we have to be careful."

Additionally, Goodell told reporters that he did not have any additional information regarding Commanders owner Daniel Snyder's virtual testimony before Congress on July 28 as part of the House's investigation into the Washington franchise's workplace culture.

"We were not party to that. We did not participate in any way," Goodell said. "So I don't have any other information that you don't have on that context. As far as his status, as we all know there's an ongoing congressional investigation as well as our investigation into those issues. As we get to a resolution on that Dan and I will discuss where he participates."

16 hours ago, Malazan said:

In addition to continuing education and other member benefits, AMTA, as an organization, advocates "for the issues important to massage therapists" across the country, including state and federal policies and fair licensing. But the organization has also spoken out against Deshaun Watson and the NFL.

Spoke out about it but not enough to change location of venue which other organizations have done when they have such a organization protecting a predator.

I wonder if they scheduled this before or after the trade was in works.