Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

Why did the NFL and the NFLPA agree to have this settled by a third party and when the penalty comes down, the NFL doesn't accept the third parties ruling ?

Was the third party ruling a sham ? ...Was the penalty purposely set low to make the NFL look good by protesting the ruling and upping the penalty ?

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is there to settle?

The NFL has total say at this point I thought?

They do but may want to avoid Watson's camp bringing a federal lawsuit against them.  Watson's goal should be to avoid a year long suspension so his contract won't get pushed back a year.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

It really is, considering he doesn't believe he's done anything wrong! 

Serious question.  Has Watson or his defense team ever explained why he had 60 or so massage therapists?   

Edited by Billy Claude

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Why did the NFL and the NFLPA agree to have this settled by a third party and when the penalty comes down, the NFL doesn't accept the third parties ruling ?

Was the third party ruling a sham ? ...Was the penalty purposely set low to make the NFL look good by protesting the ruling and upping the penalty ?

No.  The judge could've ruled that the NFL didn't present enough evidence to warrant a suspension.  Watson would've gotten zero games and there's nothing the NFL could've done about it.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Serious question.  Has Watson or his defense team ever explained why he had 60 or so massage therapists?   

Since there were only 4, or 5 maybe,  cases that the NFL investigated, my guess is he could only be asked about those specific ones. 

31 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

To avoid federal courts

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They do but may want to avoid Watson's camp bringing a federal lawsuit against them.  Watson's goal should be to avoid a year long suspension so his contract won't get pushed back a year.

I understand that part of it but hasn't federal court usually washed their hands of most of these things and tell them to "clean up your own house"?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I understand that part of it but hasn't federal court usually washed their hands of most of these things and tell them to "clean up your own house"?

Usually.  Does the NFL want to take that chance?

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Usually.  Does the NFL want to take that chance?

He's going to serve 6 games in either event so the worst case scenario is that Watson only gets 6 games if the federal court hears the case and sides with Robinson on the punishment.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He's going to serve 6 games in either event so the worst case scenario is that Watson only gets 6 games if the federal court hears the case and sides with Robinson on the punishment.

The NFL pry doesn't want him on the field week 7 along with a federal lawsuit hanging over the NFL all season.  Twelve or more games with a hefty fine would avoid that headache.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Delaying a ruling for possible settlement seems to me just a ploy so that Watson can play today.  If Watson wanted to settle he should have tried to do so earlier.

I honestly want to see him play today to face the boos that will (hopefully) rain down on him.  

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL pry doesn't want him on the field week 7 along with a federal lawsuit hanging over the NFL all season.  Twelve or more games with a hefty fine would avoid that headache.

You would think that the Watson camp wouldn't want it either.  Imagine they take the lawsuit and then sometime late in the season they decide to agree with the NFL and he ends up serving the remaining 11 games but it's already week 15-16-17 whatever. 

That would mean those game checks he's going to lose are going to be from his year 2 contract that are only 3454x more than he would lose this year if he just took the full season (and yes, that is a made up number but I know it will be more than the ~300k he will lose as of now).

Edited by The Wiz