Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

low is one thing, but Watson is making almost nothing in base salary, that’s not common.  (For example, when Josh signed his extension they lowered his 2022 cap hit to 16mil but he’s still making 4mil base salary)

Another thing I just put together is the fact that Cleveland has the most cap space in the league by about 20mil. Wouldn’t it benefit them to front-load a big contract at this point?

Its indefensible from every angle I can think of. 

It is indefensible, they signed him at all costs including ensuring effect of suspension is minimal.

There is language in the contract that protects his signing bonus, so the fact that the browns did or didnt write the contract to benefit Watson and his situation is not really debatable. It just isn't really about the first year base salary being low.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/18/source-deshaun-watson-deal-carves-out-potential-impact-of-suspension-for-pending-allegations/

When seeing that the Browns would give quarterback Deshaun Watson a five-year, $230 million fully-guaranteed contract, my first thought was that the guarantees mean nothing if/when Watson is suspended over the allegations made against him last year. All teams use language voiding guarantees if a player is suspended. Also, all teams include standard signing-bonus default language in the event the player misses games for which he has received advance compensation in the form of a signing bonus.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Watson deal carves out the current situation, insulating Watson from having the remaining guarantees void or from owing any bonus money back to the Browns.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, Doc Brown said:

A low base salary in the first year of a contract is pretty common.  It's the unawareness of what the optics makes it look like is why the Browns are the Browns.

Oh they are very aware of it which is why they did it. To ensure if Watson is suspended he loses as little money as possible.

54 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oh they are very aware of it which is why they did it. To ensure if Watson is suspended he loses as little money as possible.

Myles Garrett got a 1.035 million dollar base salary his first year his extension kicked in on his 125 million dollar deal.  The exact same Watson got.  Stafford's base salary this year is 1.5 million on his 4 year 160 million dollar deal.  Prescott got 2.5 million on the first year of his contract on basically the same deal.  Murray will have only a 2 million dollar base salary the first year his extension kicks in.  You get my point.  GM's do this he reason they do this to build salary cap space to allow them flexibility in the future. 

Regardless, I hope the Browns aren't dumb enough to realize how that would look optically but I wouldn't put it past them.  Maybe they thought they could use the argument I just presented to justify them safeguarding him financially against a suspension hoping the public would buy it.  Either way they're idiots.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'm actually glad the Browns give him more money.  That's more money out of their dumb pockets and less to spend on players.  The NFL will levy a good fine to lighten Watson's wallet.

40 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

So is this scumbag actually going to get to play tonight?  

I kinda hope he does. Not sure how much of a crowd is going to show up to a Jaguars preseason home game, but I would guess that even at half capacity, the amount of booing Watson will receive will be notable.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I kinda hope he does. Not sure how much of a crowd is going to show up to a Jaguars preseason home game, but I would guess that even at half capacity, the amount of booing Watson will receive will be notable.

Maybe the Jaguars will use this is a way to sell tickets.

For every set of a tickets a banner with handholds comes included while available.

Choices of banners:

• Hands off pervert!
  • The word no means "NO!"
  • Next PT will Castrate in self defense
  • 6'2" Dingus

33 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm dumbfounded as to why Watson and the Browns would want to play him.  If he is suspended for the year, it's meaningless to give him snaps.

The risk they take is what happens after he steps onto the field.  IF the "twitter-verse" explodes and the story gets legs, it could spill out

of the sports media world into the mainstream media.  Having this "discussed" on morning news shows and women's afternoon talk shows

will not make the NFL and them look good at all.  Add the AMTA Convention coming to Cleveland in a week or two.

If they play him and it does turn stupid, then I hope they reap all the bad press and not the NFL in general.

The idiots should just lay low, but it seems Watson and the Browns are going to go down swinging the "He didn't do anything wrong" position.

• Like (+1) 1