Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

First off Watson and the Browns make me a sick over this whole distasteful incident.

My choice would be an indefinite suspension.

However, if I was Watson and the Browns, I would want a full year suspension.  By the start of next season, a lot of this will blow over and be forgotten.

Having him come back after 12 games could end up being worse than just losing the year IMO.

He certainly wouldn't start the following week on the road in CIN so the earliest he would see the field would be at home against the Ravens.

That could be a tough game to start after all the time off.

Going on the road to Washington DC and Pittsburg I believe would be a bit of a circus while everything is fresh for the media.

Factor in his not playing in almost 2 years the chance of him playing poorly would just add fuel to his opposition.  If he does only get

a 12-game suspension my hope is that his return to end the season is a disaster. 

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Doesn't the NFL have to approve every trade? Why would they approve it only to complain about the contract later on? The way Cleveland structured it was obvious in trying to reduce a financial hit due to suspension. The NFL should have not approved it from the start

The trade isn't the contract, and not liking the contract isn't the same as being able to stop it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

An indefinite suspension is warranted but I don't see it happening. It should be for the duration of his contract with the Browns but I don't see that happening either.  

I'm just hoping for at least a season.  I've said it before, the whole thing is gross.

I want 16 games, 20 million dollar fine, and mandate the only massages he gets are from Larry the Cable Guy.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Doesn't the NFL have to approve every trade? Why would they approve it only to complain about the contract later on? The way Cleveland structured it was obvious in trying to reduce a financial hit due to suspension. The NFL should have not approved it from the start

A low base salary in the first year of a contract is pretty common.  It's the unawareness of what the optics makes it look like is why the Browns are the Browns.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

I will be surprised if the original decision is not upheld. This new system allows the NFL to strut around all righteous, while at the same time ending up with another revenue drawing star QB playing.  Best of both worlds. I expect the appeal is simpy a marketing charade. 

Prepare to be surprised then.  I don't believe anyoone associated with the situation thinks the NFL's appeal will be denied.

6 hours ago, RiotAct said:

no way, the NFL is going to come out looking like the “white knight” in all of this.   He’ll get a year.

I think that was the goal all along with them. The arbitrator is nothing more than a temperature test for the publics reaction. Not saying it isnt an independent decision but like you said, now the NFL can take a look at public reaction and adjust accordingly and let the arbitrator take the heat.

If they blow it and give him anything less than a year, then it was all for nothing.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

If they don’t do a full season, I’m hoping for 16 games.

They’re going to get eaten alive in their division, Demolester can’t change that. It’ll totally mess with the way they structured the contract and it will blow up their cap next year. 

Eff the browns for that deal, it should bite them hard.

5 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

If they don’t do a full season, I’m hoping for 16 games.

They’re going to get eaten alive in their division, Demolester can’t change that. It’ll totally mess with the way they structured the contract and it will blow up their cap next year. 

Eff the browns for that deal, it should bite them hard.

If he is suspended 16 games, the contract will bump to next year. It won't toll to year 2.

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A low base salary in the first year of a contract is pretty common.  It's the unawareness of what the optics makes it look like is why the Browns are the Browns.

low is one thing, but Watson is making almost nothing in base salary, that’s not common.  (For example, when Josh signed his extension they lowered his 2022 cap hit to 16mil but he’s still making 4mil base salary)

Another thing I just put together is the fact that Cleveland has the most cap space in the league by about 20mil. Wouldn’t it benefit them to front-load a big contract at this point?

Its indefensible from every angle I can think of. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

low is one thing, but Watson is making almost nothing in base salary, that’s not common.  (For example, when Josh signed his extension they lowered his 2022 cap hit to 16mil but he’s still making 4mil base salary)

Another thing I just put together is the fact that Cleveland has the most cap space in the league by about 20mil. Wouldn’t it benefit them to front-load a big contract at this point?

Its indefensible from every angle I can think of. 

Allen last year made 920k base salary, so yes, it is common. The Browns signed Garrett to a huge contract with low base salary early. 

I agree with the optics looking bad though.