Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

I will be surprised if the original decision is not upheld. This new system allows the NFL to strut around all righteous, while at the same time ending up with another revenue drawing star QB playing.  Best of both worlds. I expect the appeal is simpy a marketing charade. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I will be surprised if the original decision is not upheld. This new system allows the NFL to strut around all righteous, while at the same time ending up with another revenue drawing star QB playing.  Best of both worlds. I expect the appeal is simpy a marketing charade. 

What are you talking about, it's already been appealed and Goodell has picked his guy to make a different decision.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I will be surprised, because the designee that goodell appointed is not neutral and doesn’t need to be. He only appointed someone because he’s busy and he wants it expedited. This judge is in the NFL’s pocket and is going to rubber stamp goodell’s desired punishment. 

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What are you talking about, it's already been appealed and Goodell has picked his guy to make a different decision.

We will see. Surprisingly, the players union (who has a contract) is going to have an opinion on all of this. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We will see. Surprisingly, the players union (who has a contract) is going to have an opinion on all of this. 

The contract says both sides can appeal, only one did, and that goodell has final say. So I’m sure they have an opinion but all they can do is sue at this point. I doubt federal court wants to intervene with a collectively bargained agreement/labor law. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will be surprised, because the designee that goodell appointed is not neutral and doesn’t need to be. He only appointed someone because he’s busy and he wants it expedited. This judge is in the NFL’s pocket and is going to rubber stamp goodell’s desired punishment. 

So now it's not the NFL that wants this?

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Can Watson be suspended indefinitely or does it have to be specific number of games?

I think it can be indefinite now, but sue Robinson told them at the outset of the hearing that she was not going to rule indefinite. I assume goodell can rule that if he wants. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Chaos said:

that union agreed to this process, mind you. Their only recourse after the appeal decision is made is federal court. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

No. Not by a longshot 

20 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that union agreed to this process, mind you. Their only recourse after the appeal decision is made is federal court. 

Which will likely be thrown out of court quickly.

59 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Can Watson be suspended indefinitely or does it have to be specific number of games?

Yes he can be. I believe Gordon was suspended indefinitely at one point

• Agree 1

I’m pleasantly surprised that the NFL is not giving in to the original decision.

I wonder if they are being pressured by the other Owners to punish the Browns indirectly for that absurd contract.

I also wonder if they know more about the cases than the general public and are afraid more stuff could come out at some point. 

I think someone made a great point in that there is No way Watson plays at the earliest until after the Houston Game. The Nfl doesn’t want that gong show. So a minimum of 12-but then let’s say Cleveland is in the hunt, does the Nfl want this story of Watson possibly coming back into playoff crunch and leading the headlines.. 

It seems to me that with Godell’s most recent comments that they are going to come down hard on him. Maybe it will be a full year? I can’t in any way see this as a marketing charade. I actually see it as a time when the Nfl can now make a statement as to future punishment down the road. 

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Not a chance in hell that it will still be 6 games and no fine

My guess is at least 12 games and a big fine. The NFL (a) sends out a message that they will be tough on this sort of behaviour (which they should be) and gets to look like the good guys for once; (b) sets a precedent that supersedes the ones that Robinson used when setting the number at 6 and (c) sends the message to people that contract shenanigans of the sort that the Turds engaged in are a no-go

An indefinite suspension is warranted but I don't see it happening. It should be for the duration of his contract with the Browns but I don't see that happening either.  

I'm just hoping for at least a season.  I've said it before, the whole thing is gross.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

no way, the NFL is going to come out looking like the “white knight” in all of this.   He’ll get a year.

Edited by RiotAct

Watson & the Browns deserve every bit of crap that lands on their heads.

I hope the highlight of their season is when Mayfield and the Panthers pound them.  

Then downhill the rest of the year.  Empty stadium by December.

Doesn't the NFL have to approve every trade? Why would they approve it only to complain about the contract later on? The way Cleveland structured it was obvious in trying to reduce a financial hit due to suspension. The NFL should have not approved it from the start

• Thank you (+1) 1

His contract is exhibit A and it’s the most damning to Watson’s case. It means that the Browns knew, whether or not he settled all of the lawsuits against him, he would be suspended.

The Browns did the equivalent of putting on multiple pairs of underwear before a spanking they know is coming when Dad gets home.

The NFL can’t let the Browns go unpunished or other teams will try their hand at it as well.

• Agree 1