Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

This is an interesting appeal. From what I read the appeal can only look at the evidence already presented, and that was only 5 cases even though there are at least 24 people that have come forward. Most people feel the suspension should be longer. If it is increased substantially then the NFLPA probably files suit to block it, even though it looks like the NFL is following the process laid out in the CBA. 

Hope he gets a full year.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is an interesting appeal. From what I read the appeal can only look at the evidence already presented, and that was only 5 cases even though there are at least 24 people that have come forward. Most people feel the suspension should be longer. If it is increased substantially then the NFLPA probably files suit to block it, even though it looks like the NFL is following the process laid out in the CBA. 

Hope he gets a full year.

I mean she already said the NFL proved it's case, they just disagree with the punishment.

• Like (+1) 1

I do not have time to read entire report from judge but 6 games seems far to small. If Zeke got 6 for just the accusation then Deshaun needs at least a year for this, especially since he is maintaining he did nothing wrong. The NFL is not a court of law, and the only problem I see with the suspension is how the owners have gotten away with some of their crap over the years.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If this is true, why in the world would the Browns play this guy in the preseason with the chance of him having an ACL/MCL tear or even the tiny chance of a career ending injury?

It’s definitely true. I suppose they feel he needs to play as much  football as possible because at the end of this he will have been out close to or exactly 2 whole seasons

23 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Like this?:

image.thumb.jpeg.60e4201be0aab37b0a297e2c4ab1f3ba.jpeg

Well Helllooo Clarise.

It puts the lotion in the basket, take two steps back.

All kidding aside, has anyone read anything about this former NJ Prosecutor who’s evaluating the appeal.  My assumption is he’ll just up it to 1 year as Goodell has the final say.  They agreed to this CBA.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If this is true, why in the world would the Browns play this guy in the preseason with the chance of him having an ACL/MCL tear or even the tiny chance of a career ending injury?

Wouldn't the NFLPA seek and injunction if they sue over the NFL's coming suspension?

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wouldn't the NFLPA seek and injunction if they sue over the NFL's coming suspension?

They can but they’ve acquiesced to the 6 games. They had to appeal it by Thursday morning and did not. So if they seek and get an injunction (no guarantee they will get it), week 7 is the earliest he could play. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They can but they’ve acquiesced to the 6 games. They had to appeal it by Thursday morning and did not. So if they seek and get an injunction (no guarantee they will get it), week 7 is the earliest he could play. 

If the NFL (as the final arbiter of suspensions) gives him 17 games, the 6 game suspension no longer exists.  If the NFLPA sues in Federal court over the actual suspension, why wouldn't they seek an injunction so he could play until the case is decided?  At least that could get him playing week 1, possibly more, until the court decision (6 or 17 games) is handed down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

A little late to the party but what is the most likely outcome in all of this? 

12 games, 10 mill fine if he agrees to counseling. Or indefinite if he does not. The fact he refuses to admit he did anything wrong or show any remorse is a huge issue for him (and makes it different from roethlisberger) as the league offered him 12 games as a settlement and he turned it down.  Another issue is he has 4 accusers in the case (we know it is a lot more but the league presented 4 in the case). On precedent, he should get 24 games (6 per assault) as Ben and zeke got 6 each for one woman. Ben had a previous case but his suspension was based only on one.

But the CBA didn’t have it spelled out that more than 6 games would be given for a first offense if there were multiple accusers or that nonviolent sexual assault would be punished extensively. That’s why the judge said they weren’t forward thinking. I think the CBA giving Roger final say would make the federal court back off if the nflpa sues because this has been collectively bargained already. I think Roger will use this “unprecedented” case to set a new standard of no tolerance and this is set up to make him look like a hero. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

12 games, 10 mill fine if he agrees to counseling. Or indefinite if he does not. The fact he refuses to admit he did anything wrong or show any remorse is a huge issue for him (and makes it different from roethlisberger) as the league offered him 12 games as a settlement and he turned it down.  Another issue is he has 4 accusers in the case (we know it is a lot more but the league presented 4 in the case). On precedent, he should get 24 games (6 per assault) as Ben and zeke got 6 each for one woman. Ben had a previous case but his suspension was based only on one.

But the CBA didn’t have it spelled out that more than 6 games would be given for a first offense if there were multiple accusers or that nonviolent sexual assault would be punished extensively. That’s why the judge said they weren’t forward thinking. I think the CBA giving Roger final say would make the federal court back off if the nflpa sues because this has been collectively bargained already. I think Roger will use this “unprecedented” case to set a new standard of no tolerance and this is set up to make him look like a hero. 

That's a silly argument by Robinson.  If you kill 4 people, it's not the same sentence as if you kill 1. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's a silly argument by Robinson.  If you kill 4 people, it's not the same sentence as if you kill 1. 

She's just saying that the NFL should have collectively bargained for the suspension schedule for every number of murders conceivable--each listed separately so even an NFL player or his union rep could understand.