Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

Exactly how many women was he alleged to have assaulted? I am in no way dismissing what he did but you are comparing apples and oranges here

In addition, the exposure of a case in 2033 and one now is completely different - people who would have never heard of the Bryant case (and I am one of them as I am neither in the US nor at all interested in trhe NBA) will most definitely have heard of the Watsaon case. For example, the fact that his 6-game suspension is being appealed was covered in the Guardian in the UK (on the US news page, not the sports page), not exactly a regular coverer of US sports 

Ok, we will have to agree to disagree.  I have just have a different opinion.  But judging by the fact the he received a 230 million dollar contract....fully guaranteed, lends weight that people are already dismissing this as an issue.  Certainly in the Browns Org.   The Browns are working off of past similar instances with other sports stars and making an educated guess on how this will play out.  I'm just agreeing that the Browns are guessing correctly.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:
My point exactly

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
syntax

17 hours ago, maddenboy said:

technically, its a Labor Law case.  Usually federal law.  Involves a labor union.

Employment law tends to vary by state.

And because it is a labor law case in the federal court, they will give deference to the CBA that the nfl and union came together to collectively bargain for in 2020. I don’t think they are going to override the final decision which lies with goodell or a designee unless there is some egregious violation of the CBA in the process. Don’t see where that took place. 

jurisdiction will also be important here and if the nfl can file the lawsuit first and get the case tried in the southern district of NY they will use Brady/deflate gate second circuit  precedent - the court agreed with the nfl there. It will be a race to the courthouse. If the union can get it filed in Delaware they have a better chance because that’s where Robinson came from. Steep climb to overturn goodell decision though.

22 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Ok, we will have to agree to disagree.  I have just have a different opinion.  But judging by the fact the he received a 230 million dollar contract....fully guaranteed, lends weight that people are already dismissing this as an issue.  Certainly in the Browns Org.   The Browns are working off of past similar instances with other sports stars and making an educated guess on how this will play out.  I'm just agreeing that the Browns are guessing correctly.

You may be right (I really hope - no offence - that you are wrong) but I would say that the contract says nothing about how "people" are viewing the issue.

Plus, I think you are crediting the Browns onwership with far more intelligence than they actually have when you suggest they thought this through 😀

Edited by Gunvald's Husse
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

You may be right (I really hope - no offence - that you are wrong) but I would say that the contract says nothing about how "people" are viewing the issue.

Plus, I think you are crediting the Browns onwership with far more intelligence than they actually have when you suggest they thought this through 😀

Just because they thought it through doesn't mean it was intelligent thought.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Just because they thought it through doesn't mean it was intelligent thought.

I mean, I guess this is a funny joke thing to say... I laughed. But if you honestly believe they didnt have an army of smart people...lawyers, PR people, marketing execs, owners, coaches, etc. pouring over this decision your just fooling yourself. 

However unlikely... Imagine him winning a couple SB's.... Oh I can see the interviews and love already. Everyone loves a comeback story.

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
Added content

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Conversely, I'm impressed that Houston was able to rid itself of this bum while snagging three first-round draft picks in the bargain.  Many (including me) questioned Caserio's handling of the whole Watson mess, but I think they've made the best of what could have been a disastrous situation.  If they can find a QB, the Texans have a very bright future.   

They certainly maximized the value of their hand in this situation.  It tells you something when a train wreck of an owner can outmaneuver another train wreck of an owner.  It is interesting that there is no hint that they’re going to be facing any penalty - or even an investigation - for their part in all of this though. 

39 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I mean, I guess this is a funny joke thing to say... I laughed. But if you honestly believe they didnt have an army of smart people...lawyers, PR people, marketing execs, owners, coaches, etc. pouring over this decision your just fooling yourself. 

However unlikely... Imagine him winning a couple SB's.... Oh I can see the interviews and love already. Everyone loves a comeback story.

I don't doubt that they have all those things ready to go at a moments notice, but when they all agree that "triggered" is the best word to use in their statement... well it's like the old joke goes "what do you call someone that graduated last place in medical school? Doctor. "