Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

If I was the in charge I'd say 1 full season, they use his average contract salary (not his 2022 salary) to determine the loss of income for those games, and he has to go to therapy and only use male masseuses at the Browns facility for the rest of his career. Seems fair to me!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that Watson sitting out last year was a de facto suspension. If Watson had never received a massage or if these allegations never surfaced what are the odds he would've played last year? I'm putting it at 100% (it might not have been in Houston, but it would've been easy to trade him). An established franchise QB sitting out for an entire season would have been unprecedented. 

Sexual harassment = / = sexual assault

Both are scummy (not to mention illegal), but assault is more serious than harassment. What Snyder did is not a great comparison. Kraft and his 100% consensual rub and tug are not a great comparison either. 

If you had no idea what you are talking about, sure, you could say that.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

If he truly believed there was nothing wrong with how he conducted himself why did he need NDAs signed?  And if he's so worried about getting wrongfully accused then why not c I ntinue to use one of the women that claimed to have no problems with any inappropriate conduct during their sessions?  

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that Watson sitting out last year was a de facto suspension. If Watson had never received a massage or if these allegations never surfaced what are the odds he would've played last year? I'm putting it at 100% (it might not have been in Houston, but it would've been easy to trade him). An established franchise QB sitting out for an entire season would have been unprecedented. 

Sexual harassment = / = sexual assault

Both are scummy (not to mention illegal), but assault is more serious than harassment. What Snyder did is not a great comparison. Kraft and his 100% consensual rub and tug are not a great comparison either. 

Yeah, that argument won't hold water because we are dealing in hypotheticals. He CHOSE not to play starting by demanding a trade and saying he was never going to play for Houston again, and decided to sit out. The team is under no obligation to do anything other than pay him. 

So no, there was no suspension, as it was of his own doing.

23 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yes, because the group here is far more savvy at employment law (remember, this is an employment law case)

technically, its a Labor Law case.  Usually federal law.  Involves a labor union.

Employment law tends to vary by state.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You cannot oust the courts by virtue of an employment contract. Now the bar for the courts actually finding that, given the wording of the CBA, it has any authority to overrule is very high. The NFLPA and Watson have a fight on to reach that bar. But an injunction for interim relief to allow the case to be heard is a possibility. 

That said, even if it goes that way, I don't see Watson suiting up week 1 under any circumstances. In the circumstances where he has injucted the NFL and the case is pending even Cleveland wouldn't be stupid enough to put him out there, surely? And Goodell has the exempt list available to him.

The more likely scenario is if Goodell goes to a year Watson goes to the courts for an expedited hearing so that is resolved in time for him not to miss more than the original 6 games in the event he is succsssful. 

My gut still says 12 games is where this is ending up.

My favorite part about this would be Watson playing in $1M and suspended on $50M in cap hits. 

I’m glad the NFL is appealing and not at all surprised to see they are. I felt that ruling made an appeal pretty easy for the NFL.

I almost felt like the NFL had to appeal the judges ruling with the way she worded certain things. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, Chaos said:

Are there any employers outside of the entertainment industry that have "suspensions" or "fines" for employees for personal conduct outside of work..  Don't they just typical fire people or stay out of it? 

It is common in DoD industries for "suspensions" for employees for personal conduct outside of work.

Fines are only loss of pay but what is worse is pulling of security clearance without recourse which can affect future income greatly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I bet, in the grand scheme of things, what Watson did will never matter...

Roethlisberger, Kobe, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson, Mike Vick... The list goes on.  

Next year, this won't even be a thing. 

People getting worked up over something that will ultimately be forgiven anyway. 

• Disagree 3

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

What were you saying?

i will own, surprised the nfl would risk this going to court. We will see what they try to impose now. 

Major fine and very modest change to the games they might skate without court. I’d still be shocked if they go big and end up in court. And then if they go small, it hardly seems worth the risk and continued headlines. 

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yup and people that believe they did nothing wrong will just continue to do it.

Indeed which is what I think is meant by an indefinite suspension and some reports that counseling is mandated and I'd surmise that he would be reinstated once he was given a clean bill of mental health by accredited psychologist specializing in identifying sexual predators.  I have no idea if there's any type of treatment  that's successful to rehabilitate them.  I'm certain he wouldn't agree to any  type of chemical treatment to reduce his urges for his message therapy.  And a drug induced castration is the only treatment I've ever read about given to those who where convicted of being serial rapists.  So his suspension would only be lifted if he got treatment for his deviant behavior.  He wants to act out his sexual fantasies let him go to Nevada hire a legal prostitute to give him his massage therapy with a happy ending just as he wants.  

Edited by AuntieEm

56 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Roethlisberger, Kobe, Ray Lewis, Adrian Peterson, Mike Vick... The list goes on.  

People getting worked up over something that will ultimately be forgiven anyway. 

Social media wasn’t as rampant back then - its a Beast and can really cancel someone. In time, this will fade of course. That is, if he can stop his behavior of sexual assault which he believes is perfectly fine.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Speak for yourself

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Then why did browns ownership say he felt remorse? 

They lied 🤥 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because they're the Browns.  A team so inept that it retained a head coach that went 1-31 the two previous seasons.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Of course they dont think he did anything wrong.  They all rich scum that grew up thinking it was ok to grope the secretary and exploit woman.  Watsons in house massage therapist will probably just be a hired hooker on retainer.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Lol you think opposing fans are going to forget this in a year? You do realize Roethlisberger was catching **** right up to the day he retired for his scumbaggery. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Because they're the Browns.  A team so inept that it retained a head coach that went 1-31 the two previous seasons.

and booted Heisman Trophy winning, #1 overall pick for a scumbag pervert after just 4 seasons. Cleveland isn’t deserving of a team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2