Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that Watson sitting out last year was a de facto suspension. If Watson had never received a massage or if these allegations never surfaced what are the odds he would've played last year? I'm putting it at 100% (it might not have been in Houston, but it would've been easy to trade him). An established franchise QB sitting out for an entire season would have been unprecedented. 

Sexual harassment = / = sexual assault

Both are scummy (not to mention illegal), but assault is more serious than harassment. What Snyder did is not a great comparison. Kraft and his 100% consensual rub and tug are not a great comparison either. 

As to your first statement: Watson was eligible to play last year and collected his full paycheck. So no, it is NOT "easy to argue" that last year was a de facto suspension.

As to your statement regarding sexual assault:

Watson has been accused of ejaculating on women without their consent, and of forced oral penetration. Both are considered sexual assault. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

As to your first statement: Watson was eligible to play last year and collected his full paycheck. So no, it is NOT "easy to argue" that last year was a de facto suspension.

As to your statement regarding sexual assault:

Watson has been accused of ejaculating on women without their consent, and of forced oral penetration. Both are considered sexual assault. 

100% agree with that part. The post I replied to was comparing Snyder to Watson. The point I was making was that Snyder's actions would be considered harassment whereas Watson's would be assault. 

For the suspension: I think it's easy to say the underlying reason Watson didn't play in the NFL last year was these allegations (and not b/c Watson didn't want to play in HOU). The NFL didn't want him to play for any team, the Texans wanted him to play for them (but were happy to not fight it when he sat out), and Watson wanted to play anywhere but Houston. The 3 parties reached an uneasy impasse where Watson would officially be 'sitting out' and not 'suspended' so as to get his salary and it benefited the NFL/Houston in that they didn't have to explore unprecedented legal actions. 

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll tell you one thing for certain ... I'm glad this has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills!

I honestly don’t know how I would handle that. Can you imagine swapping Josh for that creepy dirt bag? I just don’t know if I could endure that. 

I have a friend who is a Browns fan and he’s struggling. He’s trying to justify things, but he’s struggling to remain a fan of the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2

wow wow wow wow wow....yeah actually I AM shocked because I don't have a criminally sick mindset. If watsons lack of remorse and responsibility for his actions is true its not only terrible it is DEMONSTRATIVE of just whom we are dealing with here. Cognitive disconnect from reality much?

IF true and he isnt even aware of having done wrong I find that very Disturbing. wow.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah...I mean, I understand why all of the media right now is talking about how Watson could start W1 pending court action but the odds are realistically probably less than 1%.

Watson himself would much rather serve the suspension this year than have it bleed into next season. He would lose 300k this year …but 16 mill next year. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Watson himself would much rather serve the suspension this year than have it bleed into next season. He would lose 300k this year …but 16 mill next year. 

Yet another reason the NFLPA is just blowing smoke.   The only thing the want is players to get off easy (no pun intended) and get paid.

They might have to pick which one is more important on this one if they want to file against. 

Edited by The Wiz

I can’t imagine being a Browns fan right now. For anyone that has a conscious they know Watson should be punished far more than 6 games. It will be interesting to see how the fan base responds to Watson and to the ownership. It seems both are tone deaf and keep digging the hole deeper.

Watson being suspended for only six games is embarrassment to the NFL. How the Browns structured Watson’s contract to avoid monetary punishment this year is a horrible look for the franchise. It would be very difficult for me to stay a fan if this was the Bills.

Hopefully the commissioner increases the punishment and fine.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

only that’s not splitting the difference. The NFL wanted 17 games and the judge gave him 6. That’s a difference of a whopping 11 games. Splitting that would be 11-12 games

I am mistaken the .  I thought the league asked for 1 year

20 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I can’t imagine being a Browns fan right now. For anyone that has a conscious they know Watson should be punished far more than 6 games. It will be interesting to see how the fan base responds to Watson and to the ownership. It seems both are tone deaf and keep digging the hole deeper.

Watson being suspended for only six games is embarrassment to the NFL. How the Browns structured Watson’s contract to avoid monetary punishment this year is a horrible look for the franchise. It would be very difficult for me to stay a fan if this was the Bills.

Hopefully the commissioner increases the punishment and fine.

Not to mention that horrific PR statement from the Browns/Haslems.

Everything about it just comes off as scum of the earth. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The way the Browns have worked this, it wouldn’t be surprising if they renegotiated the contract to move dollars from salary to bonus for next year, just in case. 

• Vomit 1