Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, eball said:

Given the language in Robinson's decision, Roger can now lay the hammer down.  I won't be surprised one bit if this becomes a full 1-year suspension.

roger does not want to be in court discussing krafts incident now does he?

How can the judge say -

"...this is the most significant punishment ever imposed on an NFL player for allegations of non-violent sexual conduct, Mr. Watson’s pattern of conduct is MORE EGREGIOUS THAN ANY BEFORE reviewed by the NFL.”'

Then she goes on to recommend only a 6 game suspension? If this is more egregious than ANY before, how did someone get suspended an entire season for gambling or smoking weed? 

"Special thanks to Mr. Watson for only sexually assaulting these women non-violently, & therefore I recommend only 6 games for showing such restraint!" 🤔

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

How can the judge say -

"...this is the most significant punishment ever imposed on an NFL player for allegations of non-violent sexual conduct, Mr. Watson’s pattern of conduct is MORE EGREGIOUS THAN ANY BEFORE reviewed by the NFL.”'

Then she goes on to recommend only a 6 game suspension? If this is more egregious than ANY before, how did someone get suspended an entire season for gambling or smoking weed? 

"Special thanks to Mr. Watson for only sexually assaulting these women non-violently, & therefore I recommend only 6 games for showing such restraint!" 🤔

One of the guys on the Sirius NFL network broadcast made a good point today. He said that the judge may have thought she was giving Watson a harsh penalty. 

IMO Colin Cowherd got it right (video liked to earlier in this thread).

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

If he goes from 6 to 17, the NFLPA will sue. Owners getting nothing and Watson gets 17? Also, I can't imagine the 1st case by the neutral judge getting almost tripled.

I think it'll stay at 6 with a hefty fine attached. 

I suspect that Roger will quote the judges language heavily focusing on the "egregious" nature of the acts and then cite the NFL's commitment to bringing women into the fold and state that Watson's actions has damaged the leagues reputation and efforts to meet their key business goal of attracting female fans. He'll then raise the suspension to 12 games with a hefty fine.

The NFLPA would have to think long and hard about the optics of challenging that kind of ruling.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It tells you all you need to know about the Haslams

And in fact Sue Robinson in her decision points out that Watson has expressed zero remorse for his actions and used this as a point against him. The guy has never once taken any responsibility, not a simple apology, nothing.

26 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we’re going to tee off on this clown November 20th.

I have to admit I'm a little worried. This clown beat us in the 2019 playoffs, coming back from a 16-0 deficit. We're playing at home though, so this will help. I do think we will win though.

• Like (+1) 1

I was listening to a weekend radio show on Fox Sports Radio on Sunday. On Cleveland fans cheerfully welcoming Deshaun Watson at camp, this host [don't know who it was] he said you have to separate the artist from the art. He said lots of classic artists painted magnificent works, but they did many bad things in their lives. He said the same was true for this country's founding fathers. I'm not saying I agree with him, but just reporting what I heard. [Don't shoot the messenger!] I have this feeling Cleveland fans who are holding out will eventually come around, just like with Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethsliberger.

Edited by chongli

13 hours ago, Mango said:

This gets parroted a lot and I don't get it. You don't need to be charged with a crime for your employer to fire or suspend you. 

Employers typically fire people.  Suspensions are kind of a wierd concept. 

20 minutes ago, chongli said:

I was listening to a weekend radio show on Fox Sports Radio on Sunday. On Cleveland fans cheerfully welcoming Deshaun Watson at camp, this host [don't know who it was] he said you have to separate the artist from the art. He said lots of classic artists painted magnificent works, but they did many bad things in their lives. He said the same was true for this country's founding fathers. I'm not saying I agree with him, but just reporting what I heard. [Don't shoot the messenger!] I have this feeling Cleveland fans who are holding out will eventually come around, just like with Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethsliberger.

Kobe and Ben are perfect comps. Kudos. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well that settles it!

when oj in your corner you got this 

43 minutes ago, chongli said:

I have to admit I'm a little worried. This clown beat us in the 2019 playoffs, coming back from a 16-0 deficit. We're playing at home though, so this will help. I do think we will win though.

Our #1 WR was Duke Williams 

and we still took them to OT

anyway totally different teams on both sides 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, McBean said:

Absolutely freakin disgusting.

Gruden pushed out over a freakin email 10+ years ago..Bauer 2 years suspension…Ridley a year ban for a $1500 sports wager.

I wonder why he only got 6 games…

WAKE UP AMERICA

This is how Mike Florio answered that question:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/01/making-sense-of-the-deshaun-watson-deandre-hopkins-and-calvin-ridley-suspensions/

"How does Watson, who faced 24 lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions, get suspended only six games when Cardinal receiver DeAndre Hopkins was suspended six games for trace amounts of a PED he claims he didn’t know he ingested and Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley was suspended a whole season for making $1,500 in parlay wagers?

On the surface, the answer is easy. These three players were suspended under three completely different policies: Personal Conduct, PED, and gambling.

There’s a more nuanced explanation. The PED policies and gambling policies go directly to the integrity of the game, whether by cheating in it or betting on it. The Personal Conduct Policy relates to off-duty behavior, conduct that has no connection to the league’s core business interests.

The vast majority of American employers don’t, won’t, and can’t police the private lives of their employees. If an employee faces multiple civil lawsuits unrelated to his workplace behavior and/or if he’s investigated but never charged with any crime(s), the employer has no cause to do anything."

15 minutes ago, chongli said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/01/making-sense-of-the-deshaun-watson-deandre-hopkins-and-calvin-ridley-suspensions/

"How does Watson, who faced 24 lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions, get suspended only six games when Cardinal receiver DeAndre Hopkins was suspended six games for trace amounts of a PED he claims he didn’t know he ingested and Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley was suspended a whole season for making $1,500 in parlay wagers?

On the surface, the answer is easy. These three players were suspended under three completely different policies: Personal Conduct, PED, and gambling.

There’s a more nuanced explanation. The PED policies and gambling policies go directly to the integrity of the game, whether by cheating in it or betting on it. The Personal Conduct Policy relates to off-duty behavior, conduct that has no connection to the league’s core business interests.

The vast majority of American employers don’t, won’t, and can’t police the private lives of their employees. If an employee faces multiple civil lawsuits unrelated to his workplace behavior and/or if he’s investigated but never charged with any crime(s), the employer has no cause to do anything."

Yeah but The NFL’s number one job is to protect the shield

You don’t need to be convicted or even arrested to be suspended by them..  Conduct detrimental to the NFL is suspendable according to the NFL

And you could absolutely lose your job around the country for personal decisions during your private life… Freedom of speech doesnt equal freedom of zero repercussions… People lose their jobs every day because of things they say on the Internet

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

2022 Bills obliterate the 2019 Texans.  Not even close.  2019 Bills overachieved just to get there in a rebuilding year with a still-developing Allen.

It still blows my mind how in McBeane's first three years where they averaged $38m/year in dead cap, they made the playoffs twice including Taylor and Peterman throwing to a WR group of Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Jordan Matthews, and Kelvin Benjamin.  Shady carried that team.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but The NFL’s number one job is to protect the shield

You don’t need to be convicted or even arrested to be suspended by them..  Conduct detrimental to the NFL is suspendable according to the NFL

And you could absolutely lose your job around the country for personal decisions during your private life… Freedom of speech doesnt equal freedom of zero repercussions… People lose their jobs every day because of things they say on the Internet

Agreed with everything you said. But the NFL's job is also to make money for the owners. Maybe the NFL feels it will make more money with Watson playing than suspending him longer? Not sure. But as someone already mentioned, they probably have crunched the numbers already. We'll learn in a few days.

48 minutes ago, chongli said:

Plenty of people get fired for things they do outside of the workplace because they reflect poorly on the workplace. Even speech alone gets people fired due to internet mob pressure if it goes viral enough.

So how does this not reflect poorly on the NFL and why do they not have cause to suspend him for as much other offenses that affect the game integrity? 

In my opinion you either believe he had wrongdoing and throw the book at him, or you dont believe he did anything and you let him off free. This middle ground is just an absurd stance to take.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

If it were up to me, he would be assigned a single massage therapist.

Someone like Edward Scissorhands.

It should be that dude who gave Wilford Brimley massages in the movie  The Natural.

If that doesn’t prevent an erection nothing will. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB

2 hours ago, chongli said:

i know a fair amount of Browns fans who are absolutely repulsed by Watson and angry at the team over signing him. It’s a tough spot to be in as a fan of that team.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Plenty of people get fired for things they do outside of the workplace because they reflect poorly on the workplace. Even speech alone gets people fired due to internet mob pressure if it goes viral enough.

So how does this not reflect poorly on the NFL and why do they not have cause to suspend him for as much other offenses that affect the game integrity? 

In my opinion you either believe he had wrongdoing and throw the book at him, or you dont believe he did anything and you let him off free. This middle ground is just an absurd stance to take.

Maybe they could hire an independent third party to evaluate the case and determine a suspension period.

15 hours ago, Mango said:

This gets parroted a lot and I don't get it. You don't need to be charged with a crime for your employer to fire or suspend you. 

The NFL doesn’t employ Deshaun Watson, the Browns do and they have 200 million reasons to NOT fire him.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Maybe they could hire an independent third party to evaluate the case and determine a suspension period.

The NFL doesn’t employ Deshaun Watson, the Browns do and they have 200 million reasons to NOT fire him.

Well, little more complicated than that. The Browns pay him under a contract with clauses and rules that were collectively bargained between the NFLPA and the NFL. So he gets paid by the browns, but covered by the rules of the NFL.    Josh Gordon and Calvin Ridley were paid by their respective teams , but the NFL shut them down with suspensions as well.