Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

"Judge Robinson directs Deshaun Watson to limit massage therapy to club-directed sessions and club-approved therapists "for the duration of his career."

If I were a Browns team massage therapist I'd really be disgusted by this statement.  Way to throw someone to the wolves, so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

"Judge Robinson directs Deshaun Watson to limit massage therapy to club-directed sessions and club-approved therapists "for the duration of his career."

If I were a Browns team massage therapist I'd really be disgusted by this statement.  Way to throw someone to the wolves, so to speak. 

They don't think it's safe for the star quarterback to be alone with a woman who is massaging him, as long as it’s someone they provide. it's perfectly OK to have this guy represent the team, city, and fans:

Celebrating that their guy got away with sexual assault! Super Bowl tbh

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

What a bunch of nonsense. blaming it on public outrage and then saying they are “Attempting to impose a dramatic shift in culture”…? 

So players were allowed to sexually assault dozens and dozens of women before “woke” culture got in the way and Watson just wasn’t given enough notice it’s not cool anymore and might piss people off if it gets out? 😂 (only half kidding…)

She even said this is basically unprecedented and then says they need to use previous precedence that doesn’t exist. oh, and she has to worry about how this suspension could be used against the next player to assault dozens of women…

Then goes light on the suspension for the nonsensical reasons above but imposes an unprecedented ruling that he can’t get private massages for the rest of his career. Makes sense 🤦‍♂️

The NFL should have a pretty easy time appealing this if they choose to (and I sure hope they do). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Interested to see where it goes from here. 

Has he learned anything?  Will he go the Roethlisberger route or the R. Kelly route.

A vast majority of sex crime offenders are repeat offenders because it a mental illness.  There is no effective rehabilitation for them, they will find increasingly creative ways of getting away with it.  If Watson was not a multimillionaire he would be rotting in a Texas prison. 

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

What a bunch of nonsense. blaming it on public outrage and then saying they are “Attempting to impose a dramatic shift in culture”…? 

So players were allowed to sexually assault dozens and dozens of women before “woke” culture got in the way and Watson just wasn’t given enough notice it’s not cool anymore and might piss people off if it gets out? 😂 (only half kidding…)

She even said this is basically unprecedented and then says they need to use previous precedence that doesn’t exist. oh, and she has to worry about how this suspension could be used against the next player to assault dozens of women…

Then goes light on the suspension for the nonsensical reasons above but imposes an unprecedented ruling that he can’t get private massages for the rest of his career. Makes sense 🤦‍♂️

The NFL should have a pretty easy time appealing this if they choose to (and I sure hope they do). 

That’s how I read it too. 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Success said:

There comes a point where the sheer # of accusations reaches a critical mass.

I don't understand this ruling, at all. 

Again,  not saying the ruling is correct or anything, but Robinson is ruling on the 4 cases the NFL brought before her, not the 24 filed.  She can't factor in something not brought up in the NFL's case.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Again,  not saying the ruling is correct or anything, but Robinson is ruling on the 4 cases the NFL brought before her, not the 24 filed.  She can't factor in something not brought up in the NFL's case.  

Thanks. I'm still a little fuzzy on how this one is working.  It sounds like the NFL can appeal, and I would expect them to.

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

And she just set the precedent.

1.5 games for every sexual assault that they deem worthy of interviewing the victim. 

Really is mind-blowing. 

Just now, Success said:

Thanks. I'm still a little fuzzy on how this one is working.  It sounds like the NFL can appeal, and I would expect them to.

They can but then they open themselves up to questioning about how the owners have done shady ***** and gotten away with it. 

I doubt they will appeal just for that reason alone. 

22 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

I feel like the NFL wants to come out of this looking like the hero who steps in and says No No No 6 games isn’t enough! We are going to up that to a full season or more. 

The NFL will appeal and increase the punishment. And I think it's safe to say they won't be using independent judges anymore. Just give this creep a male massage therapist. Some big guy named Lars who will kick his ass if he does anything stupid.  Another slap on the wrist to a celebrity. 

Dear World,

6 weeks and all of his more than 45 million dollar salary guaranteed?!

I took a nap on a couch and I lost my job!

This completely f%$%@@ up bulls&&# is straight from planet c*@% smoke!!!!

GIVE ME A BEER!

Sincerely,

Chad "Just-One-More-Chance" Kelly

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The NFL will appeal and increase the punishment. And I think it's safe to say they won't be using independent judges anymore. Just give this creep a male massage therapist. Some big guy named Lars who will kick his ass if he does anything stupid.  Another slap on the wrist to a celebrity. 

The independent judge is part of the process now as part of the CBA.  It isn't going anywhere. Robinson was selected by the NFL and NFLPA.  

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

i read the decision and agree.

I don’t think her “no fair notice” finding holds up when you have someone who has engaged in unprecedented behavior— which is a pattern of sexual conduct involving four different victims. It is unprecedented if you consider just the 4 victims, let alone the 66 possible victims. 

she says the prior punishments for non-violent conduct have been far less (3 games max), but I am not sure going only up to 6 games really appropriately accounts for the multiple victims. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Celebrating that their guy got away with sexual assault! Super Bowl tbh

Cleveland was a team that was easy to pull for with die hard fans that endured many losing seasons.  Over the last several years, they have transformed the team to an extremely unlikable bunch with fans that are cheering for a sexual predator.  I think the transformation started with the drafting of Mayfield.  He was a cocky, immature little douche that had more success in commercials than on the field.  Instead of moving on and getting a respectable face of the franchise, they decided to bring in Watson and his 20ish sexual assault cases.  They went even further by structuring his contract in a way that allows him to dodge any real financial ramifications for his actions.  I hope the Browns have another 20 year stretch without playoffs and the Watson contract turns out to haunt them.  Haslam has shown his lack of character.

It really makes you appreciate how Buffalo has built their team into a SB contender.  They didn't sign the most repugnant players in the league, they valued character throughout the process.  They assembled a team that their fans can be proud of.  We get videos from camp showing the superstar QB giving a kid his signed cleats right off his feet and Diggs taking time to speak to a kid that recently lost his father.  Cleveland has videos of people cheering for a guy that repeatedly exposed himself to massage therapists against their will (among other horrible things).  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i read the decision and agree.

I don’t think her “no fair notice” finding holds up when you have someone who has engaged in unprecedented behavior— which is a pattern of sexual conduct involving four different victims. It is unprecedented if you consider just the 4 victims, let alone the 66 possible victims. 

she says the prior punishments for non-violent conduct have been far less (3 games max), but I am not sure going only up to 6 games really appropriately accounts for the multiple victims. 

Doesn't this mean sure, the judge can use prior precedent to give THE NFL some sort of baseline - now they can say "sure the judge said 6 games, but we think it should be 10....or the season.  Because ultimately we have to protect our product regardless of what was considered (not suspendable?) behavior 5-10 years ago.  Today you’re considered toxic."

It's almost like they have these 3 days to see the responses on social media.  

Edited by Big Blitz