Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Too low, but lack of evidence is a problem.  We can't go on gut feeling and what we "know", no matter how much we want to.  This ruling makes me sick, and despite what I just said, I think it should have been minimum 8-10 games.

It doesn’t sound like they lack evidence of “egregious behavior.” They lack evidence that there was physical force. Probably why there wasn’t an indictment in court. But spraying your fluid on someone or repeatedly removing a towel and exposing or moving the masseuse’s hand to where he wants it or asking for sexual things unrelated to a massage etc without consent during a massage isn’t “physically forceful” it’s sexual harassment at the minimum. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Too low, but lack of evidence is a problem.  We can't go on gut feeling and what we "know", no matter how much we want to.  This ruling makes me sick, and despite what I just said, I think it should have been minimum 8-10 games.

they did not really need to meet a high evidentiary standard. The league’s stance is “conduct detrimental to the league” can be punished. Watson’s conduct was confirmed by Robinson. They met the standard. Only question is the magnitude of harm to the league and, subsequent to that, the magnitude of punishment. 

the guy is losing $345K. That’s a joke.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t sound like they lack evidence of “egregious behavior.” They lack evidence that there was physical force. Probably why there wasn’t an indictment in court. But spraying your fluid on someone or repeatedly removing a towel and exposing etc without consent during a massage isn’t “forceful” it’s sexual harassment at the minimum. 

I believe it rises to assault3 in my state pretty easily. 

16 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

they did not really need to meet a high evidentiary standard. The league’s stance is “conduct detrimental to the league” can be punished. Watson’s conduct was confirmed by Robinson. They met the standard. Only question is the magnitude of harm to the league and, subsequent to that, the magnitude of punishment. 

the guy is losing $345K. That’s a joke.

I can see a situation where the league leaves the suspension at 6, but imposes a larger fine.  How that plays out, who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Because the NFL is only looking at 4 cases.  That was the case they brought on.  And apparently from their investigating there was not much evidence.  Robinson can't look at the 24 cases as that was not what was presented.  

Also, what evidence has been shown?  I am not questioning that there is, but I honestly haven't seen anywhere that was presented other than the he said/she said.  All I am saying is that if they can't show evidence, then it is hard to convict/punish someone for something that may or may not have happened.  That is usually what makes these types of cases so hard.  I am not saying it didn't happen as I have no idea, but without DNA evidence, witnesses, or something along those lines, it is extremely hard to prove.   If there is no evidence of him "ejaculating on strangers" then it can't be used in consideration.  If she has the clothing she was wearing with the DNA evidence, then by all means, use it.

Also, the league never said he "served his time."  Robinson isn't the league.  And as far as I can tell, last year wasn't used for the ruling in any way.

I have said this before several times.  Watson sure seems to be a sexual deviant of some kind.  How extreme he is, or how far he is willing to push the envelope, is unknown.  If there is any evidence at all that he assaulted one of these women, he should be in jail and suspended.  But so far, from what I have seen, there hasn't been any evidence presented.  Doesn't mean there isn't, but in these types of cases, you can't just guess or assume.  It's crazy tough on everyone to get this right.

As disgusted as I am by perv Watson, you are right on with this.  Equally important in my mind is almost all these women involved settled for cash and no admission of his guilt and ran with it.  I guess their individual horrors had a finite price.

24 cases, all very similar circumstances and behavior.  No criminal charges were brought, have to assume a lack of evidence, but I feel like convincing a jury in a civil case was pretty much a slam dunk.  Despite the hurt feelings, feelings were assuaged by quick, lucrative payouts.

I hope the NFL pushes for more.  What I really hope is the NFL changes the rules and finds a way to come down hard on the Browns.  Teams shouldn't be able to negotiate contracts when a player is facing a criminal situation.  

I firmly believe scumbag Haslam gave pervert Watson the guaranteed deal to empower Watson the financial support to pay everyone off and be minimally accountable. 

The saddest part for me is Watson is not accountable to correct his behavior and the Browns tampered with the entire process.  Would Watson have been able to pay everyone off without the new contract?

• Agree 1

Disgusting ruling.  NFL better up it a significant amount.

I can’t believe the browns have him a contract that limits how much money he loses.  NFL better tack on a fine equal to, or hopefully greater than his average per game check for the entire contract.

NFL really has to start cleaning up its image.  Do the right thing.

• Like (+1) 2

The paranoid, conspiratorial side of me wonders if this wasn’t Goodell’s plan— In the closed-door session, suggest a compromise of six games. Then appeal the decision, add two to four games, and appear tough. Then, by the end of the regular season, the story has finally lost its legs. 

of course, Goodell would never be so manipulative…

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Disgusting ruling.  NFL better up it a significant amount.

I can’t believe the browns have him a contract that limits how much money he loses.  NFL better tack on a fine equal to, or hopefully greater than his average per game check for the entire contract.

NFL really has to start cleaning up its image.  Do the right thing.

if the rumors are to be believed, the other owners/GMs around the league are disgusted with the contract the Browns gave him. For good reason.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yet there is no precedent of this many cases.  Not even close.

The NFL only presented 4 cases.  Not 24.  People keep throwing out 24, but the NFL chose to focus on 4, so the other 20 don't have relevance in the NFL's case.

I have no idea why they only focused on 4.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I knew it was going to be a short suspension when Watson’s lawyers released this statement last night:

the talk all along was that his lawyers planned to appeal any lengthy sentence. It isn’t hard to figure out why that suddenly changed…

There’s no way they put out the statement above without having a pretty good idea the sentence was going to be short.

I think Goodell sticks with 6 games.

If he ups it, NFLPA will sue and he doesn't want that.

He'll probably come out with a statement "While I strongly disagree with the finding, I will respect the judges ruling" or something along those lines

• Vomit 1

I honestly read this and get a feeling that Judge Robinson by saying that this is in response to “public outcry just undermines the seriousness of the matter. And club approved therapists? Lol is this can’t be a real ruling can it..

Goddel should have just dropped the hammer and now it drags on for another couple days while we wait the next move..