Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

I’ve already stated I have the football disease. I will be fully watching and supporting the NFL inspite of being appalled. Just trying to let everyone know that they have it too. 

Ahh, just stopping by to let everyone know they are sickos, but even though it's not okay you will also engage in morally opprobrious activities because you are a self-loathing addict. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Certainly possible, and maybe even probable.  I can just envision a scenario where they want to look tough.

They can’t though, as looking tough will open the can of worms. The judge pretty much F’d the NFL in terms of public perception. But honestly it doesn’t seem like they care about it, as they wanted to wash their hands of this anyways. 

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Ahh, just stopping by to let everyone know they are sickos, but even though it's not okay you will also engage in morally opprobrious activities because you are a self-loathing addict. 

Hi, my name is Bob. At least I admit it unlike a lot of people here that shout into the void. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Isn't the whole purpose of the third party process so that the NFL can wash their hands of this stuff. 

it is, but Goodell reserved this appeal right just for cases like this where there might be a firestorm of backlash 

Edited by JoPoy88

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Alright, so, for the record, are you going to continue to participate in a message board that at least indirectly increases interest in and support for the NFL insofar as caring about a team in the league will ultimately redound to some aspect of economic well-being for the corporate entity? Will you buy any product with the Buffalo Bills on it? A cap, a scarf, a bumper sticker? What level of contamination is possible according to your personal kosher laws?

I personally am going to make a few posts on TBD about how upset I am, then pat myself on the back and sleep soundly knowing I have done my duty.

• Haha (+1) 5

Based on the recent posturing of the league and of Watson's camp, I had a feeling the reports of a suspension between four and eight games was true. Lo and behold, it is.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how that judge was able to look at the preponderance of evidence of egregious sexual misconduct -- and in some cases, outright sexual assault -- and decide that six games was sufficient punishment.

I realize that it's not apples to apples, but as others have pointed out, the fact that gambling or smoking pot has gotten players suspended for an entire year, but ejaculating on strangers without their consent gets just a six game punishment, is beyond ridiculous.

Honestly, the worst part is the hypocrisy and moral ickiness of his continued employment: If he was a fringe player -- say, a special teams linebacker or a WR5 -- he'd likely never play in the NFL again. No one would employ him, regardless of league punishment. Instead, because he's a talented quarterback, a team was willing to give him $250 million, and the league is willing to say "her served his time" and move on from it. He'll probably be in ads and NFL promo spots within a few years, like none of this ever happened.

This whole thing was and is and will continue to be super gross. Watson isn't even remorseful, either. Dispicable.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Based on the recent posturing of the league and of Watson's camp, I had a feeling the reports of a suspension between four and eight games was true. Lo and behold, it is.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how that judge was able to look at the preponderance of evidence of egregious sexual misconduct -- and in some cases, outright sexual assault -- and decide that six games was sufficient punishment.

I realize that it's not apples to apples, but as others have pointed out, the fact that gambling or smoking pot has gotten players suspended for an entire year, but ejaculating on strangers without their consent gets just a six game punishment, is beyond ridiculous.

Honestly, the worst part is the hypocrisy and moral ickiness of his continued employment: If he was a fringe player -- say, a special teams linebacker or a WR5 -- he'd likely never play in the NFL again. No one would employ him, regardless of league punishment. Instead, because he's a talented quarterback, a team was willing to give him $250 million, and the league is willing to say "her served his time" and move on from it. He'll probably be in ads and NFL promo spots within a few years, like none of this ever happened.

This whole thing was and is and will continue to be super gross. Watson isn't even remorseful, either. Dispicable.

They apparently only looked at 4 cases, which feels like a mistake to me.

Though if they decide to use it as a reference and give him a 30 game suspension for 20 cases that'd be alright.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

I personally am going to make a few posts on TBD about how upset I am, then pat myself on the back and sleep soundly knowing I have done my duty.

Not that any of this matters -- but I hold political and ethical views that are often dismissed and mocked (I am an eccentric, but more or less traditionalist Catholic.) I actually quit my job because my employer was requiring actions I deemed incompatible with my beliefs. I continue to suffer economic hardship because of that action. I'm not opposed to acting upon one's ethical sense of what is right, but there is a point at which one is asking for a degree of purity that is simply not to be discovered in this world. And it's rather insufferable when that demand coincides with implicit contempt for ordinary folk who only wish to continue a fellowship that goes back generations in some cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Calvin Ridley's actions had a much larger impact on the integrity of the game. Infinitely worse, honestly.

Depends on your moral standards I guess. Soliciting massages from 66 different women and having 24 file sexual assault claims is pretty bad on the league imo, regardless of how many he settled out of court. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's a joke.  At best, Watson is a creepy sex pervert who is really pushing the boundaries of acceptable sexual contact.

At worst he's a rapist and serial sexual abuser.  This whole thing is just gross and a joke in terms of actual justice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I knew it was going to be a short suspension when Watson’s lawyers released this statement last night:

the talk all along was that his lawyers planned to appeal any lengthy sentence. It isn’t hard to figure out why that suddenly changed…

There’s no way they put out the statement above without having a pretty good idea the sentence was going to be short.

• Agree 3