Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Goodell can certainly suspend him indefinitely.  We don't know what he will do yet.

Watson is too good of a football player for that to happen. If Watson was a marginally talented player, you can bet your *** the hammer would have been smashed by now. The NFL is taking a financially calculated risk here by thinking Watson will generate the league more money than it will lose. Business decisions. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Goodell can certainly suspend him indefinitely.  We don't know what he will do yet.

Hmm. I don't think he can. It is at best arguable following the Rice arbitration. He would need a truly exceptional reason and I don't think he has one. Especially given even the civil cases have all settled now bar 1. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And then NFLPA will dispute that suspension, and then Watson will play week one while it's being arbitrated.  So no, he can't.

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

15 minutes for every alleged assault.  Clearly prosecutors are having problems with the allegations because so far they've declined to press charges.  

I'm not trying to defend the indefensible.  I have daughters and despise sexual predators.  If even one allegation is true, I want to see Watson do jail time.  And if I had to guess, I'd guess that at least one of the allegations is true.  But there's got to be some issues with the testimony because neither the legal system nor the NFL is coming down hard on Watson.  

They are no longer alleged. He settled with every one of these women. You are correct the legal system let everyone down but there is no question of him committing these disgusting acts.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

They are no longer alleged. He settled with every one of these women. You are correct the legal system let everyone down but there is no question of him committing these disgusting acts.

settling is not directly an admission of guilt

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I don't think he can. It is at best arguable following the Rice arbitration. He would need a truly exceptional reason and I don't think he has one. Especially given even the civil cases have all settled now bar 1. 

Not saying he will, but he has the authority to do so if he chooses. 

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Not saying he will, but he has the authority to do so if he chooses. 

And I am saying that is not certain. The Rice arbitration ruled the imposition of an indefinite suspension unlawful. Now there are circumstances of that case that lead some to argue it does not create a precedent but it is at best arguable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

But yes he can. Not sure what you have been reading but he still gets final say

No he can try, which will be disputed and result in Watson playing week one, and will lose. Which is why he is not.

He does NOT get final say on indefinite suspensions lmao. We have seen this play out before.