Judge Sue Robinson recommends 6 game suspension for Watson; NFL will appeal

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The faux outrage while still shouting go Bills is delicious. I’m here for it. It’s ok guys, embrace the sickness. 

I will say that the Bills really have zero to do with watson or his situation other than all being NFL teams. It reads as if you are willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I definitely am not.

I hear you though. *shrugs*

Just now, aceman_16 said:

Just 6 games is nuts. I have seen that many games for taking prescribed meds. Anyhow....what is the downfall of the NFL appealing this?

Downside (from the NFL’s perspective) is prolonging the agony of this story in the new cycle vs. washing their hands. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Last time I checked the Bills are part of the NFL. Supporting the bills directly feeds the NFL. This isn’t hard. 

yolo and I basically said the same thing. Now you are reading to me condescending. Come on man.

Just now, DJB said:

a retired judge for Watson

It was simply a recommendation, not a ruling.  A purely optics-driven exercise that, in the end, means absolutely nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Last time I checked the Bills are part of the NFL. Supporting the bills directly feeds the NFL. This isn’t hard. 

What faux outrage are you referring to? The judge made the decision as of now. What does she have to do with the Bills? The nfl hasn’t even responded yet on appeal.

How do you know it is faux?

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I will say that the Bills really have zero to do with watson or his situation other than all being NFL teams. It reads as if you are willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I definitely am not.

I hear you though. *shrugs*

Its extremely complicated. I’ve mulled this psychologically for years with the numerous shady things that have happened within the NFL. I’ve learned to accept the illness, some cope with it, others straight up deny it while knowingly or unknowingly support it, while others truly stand and take action ie Boycotting. I’m vehemently against what Watson and others have done, but I’m addicted to football. It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It was simply a recommendation, not a ruling.  A purely optics-driven exercise that, in the end, means absolutely nothing.

Yes, now the people who HATED Goodell being the judge, jury and executioner are CLAMORING for Goodell to override his independent arbitrator to be the judge, jury and executioner. It’s better than Mike Florio’s birthday.

The NFL is an awesome case study of a judicial system sustained purely via outrage and public opinion. 

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

yolo and I basically said the same thing. Now you are reading to me condescending. Come on man.

Sorry, that was not my intentions. Apology if it made it feel like I was belittling you. I’m just trying to make people understand it’s all a sickness that many people don’t want to accept. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Optics.

This whole thing has been a sham from the get-go and it was going to be Goodell's decision all along.

The NFL is scummy.

I don't think the NFL is scummy.  I think it's a business trying to negotiate its challenges as best it can.  

Watson may not be a good guy.  But a grand jury declined to indict, and he certainly hasn't been convicted of anything so far.   Isn't the presumption of innocence an American value?     

Many companies let the legal system - and the experts who run it - judge personal-time behavior.  In other words, if there's no conviction, there are no consequences at work.  I applaud the NFL for going further but I wonder how much further they should go in cases like this.     

I'm torn on this one.  I'm really not sure what the right response should have been so I'm not going to criticize Robinson's or Goodell's.  In fact, I have to give them some credit.  While the legal system didn't punish Watson at all, the NFL will.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1

15 min of playing time missed for every assault.  Unbelievably low. 

Nice message sent. You can assault four women and only lose one game check and none of your signing bonus. Unreal.

Josh Gordon lost multiple seasons for alcohol. 

At this point they would be better off having no personal conduct policy. They can't seem to ever get it right. 

Goodell should at least double it to force the union to defend this scum of a person. 

Sorry, that was not my intentions. Apology if it made it feel like I was belittling you. I’m just trying to make people understand it’s all a sickness that many people don’t want to accept. 

I just didnt want things to go off the rails u know I tell it like I read it haha no worries mate. 

I mean, just don’t generalize. Many people have real disgust over the situation but it’s about Watson and his punishment. Doesn’t mean they won’t  watch the Bills or nfl. Maybe someone said that? But I doubt that’s a widespread opinion. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

First it was the Alex Jones guy, now we got Bonnie Nettles over here talking about our collective sickness?

Are you wearing black Nikes?

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What faux outrage are you referring to? The judge made the decision as of now. What does she have to do with the Bills? The nfl hasn’t even responded yet on appeal.

How do you know it is faux?

Because condemnation without physical action is complicity. We don’t want to admit it, but it is. We all have levels of tolerance and acceptance. The Bills are part of the NFL. People hate the “NFL” for this, but it won’t change because financially the NFL doesn’t get hurt by it. What motivation does the NFL have for change if it doesn’t get hit in the wallet? Behaviors don’t change unless people demand it. NFL only knows one thing, and that’s money. 

• Like (+1) 1