Week 2 of Camp - updates and talking points (OL??)

GunnerBill

54 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Very telling on how much Von praises Brandon Beane in multi parts of this talk.

Buying a house next to Coach McDermott and his comments of Orchard Park were cool.

Had to laugh about how he has instructed Josh about "Club 17" was great.

Thanks @Warcodered, I would of never found this on my own!

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-buffalo-doubles-down-on-physicality-in-practice-following-josh-allens-training-camp-scuffle/

It looks like the heat is still on in Buffalo, with Ben Volin of The Boston Globe reporting more fights in the Bills’ training camp to start the week off.

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

So that’s how he does it. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am fully expecting @YoloinOhio to be all over the creation of a week 2 of camp thread at some point, and I am very happy for this to be merged into that but having caught up with a lot of the beat reporters' thoughts over the weekend I think the biggest area to watch this week is the offensive line. I think most fans have considered the return of Aaron Kromer, one of the most proven and respected OL coaches in the business, one of the biggest upgrades of the offseason for the Bills. However, for them to really benefit from his coaching they need to get their guys in practice and on the field, surely? Obviously Dion has a personal issue (and we all wish him / his family well), Saffold has been in a car accident (and again we wish him a speedy recovery), but in addition to those Spencer Brown is not all the way healthy following a back operation and hasn't been with first team yet in team drills and Ryan Bates missed time last week too. 

Sure, it is one week into camp. There is no need to be concerned or freak out yet, but with Kromer on board I think the practice time for that first unit is potentially really valuable so that they can hit their stride early. The Bills oline was a mess until December last year and it was a factor in us losing games against teams we were clearly better than in Pittsburgh and particularly Jacksonville. I don't think we can afford a slow start from that unit again this year and to get the full benefit of the coaching change I am keen to see the starters together and healthy sooner rather than later in camp. 

Also linked to that... we have had the discussion about Josh playing any of the pre-season games. Personally I'd prefer he sat for all three but I expect new playcaller etc they will try and get him a half somewhere. I am 100% against putting Josh Allen out there if we only have our 2nd team oline on the field to protect him. That feels like suicide. 

Agree with all of this.

There seemed to be a couple consistent trends over the first week of training camp:

- The offense has been lagging way behind the defense

- Almost everyone on the D-Line has looked incredible

- Almost our entire starting O-Line has been off the field

Dawkins came back today, and it doesn't sound like the Saffold/Bates injuries are long-term.

The guy to watch may be Spencer Brown.  Back injuries can have a tendency to nag.

8 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree with the points about getting the 1's working together.  Isnt Kromer sorta known for rotating players more than other coaches though?  Maybe they are taking the opportunity to do that at the start of camp cause of the inuries.

Kromer has been known to favor best run or best pass linemen when players are rotated which when practiced works well especially in eat up clock at end of game situations and need to tire opposing defense situations. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Dont worry about the offensive line, its not important in this offense. Dont waste high draft picks on o linemen, (imagine if Beane had taken Creed Humphrey and missed out on the talent of Boogie Basham). Dont waste cap space bringing in top talent in free agency, that money is for the defense. 

While I agree with some of your points, especially bringing in expensive UFAs, a "decent" line is needed by every team.

Once all the starters return for the Bills they will be decent.  They lack some decent long-term young depth to eventually take over.

Next year I could see the need and willingness of Beane to go as high as a 2nd on the OL and at least someone else around the 4th.

IMO it's the last pipeline to fill with some younger talent (C and G) and expect it to happen.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

While I agree with some of your points, especially bringing in expensive UFAs, a "decent" line is needed by every team.

Once all the starters return for the Bills they will be decent.  They lack some decent long-term young depth to eventually take over.

Next year I could see the need and willingness of Beane to go as high as a 2nd on the OL and at least someone else around the 4th.

IMO it's the last pipeline to fill with some younger talent (C and G) and expect it to happen.

My post was sarcastic. Of course the o line is important and Josh Allen is not really Superman

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

OLine is the weakness by a mile. I don't dislike the top 5 (I'm higher on brown than some), but I don't know if I trust a single depth player. It's the only thing that's "controllable" (to a degree) that worries me about this team. 

CB depth is terrifying. 

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

CB depth is terrifying. 

Tre, Taron, Elam, Dane, Neal (with McCloud, Lewis and Harris having some plays made in camp)...I don't think I'd call it terrifying. Especially with Poyer and Hyde over the top.

The offensive line depth is almost criminal. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Tre, Taron, Elam, Dane, Neal (with McCloud, Lewis and Harris having some plays made in camp)...I don't think I'd call it terrifying. Especially with Poyer and Hyde over the top.

The offensive line depth is almost criminal. 

Tre doesn't count until he can play. Elam is a rookie. Johnson is good but he plays slot only. Dane Jackson is exceedingly unproven, Siran Neal never plays defense and isn't an outside corner when he does.  It's scary to need a rookie CB or raw UDFAs to come in day one and not get consistently set ablaze or die in an avalanche of yellow and that's basically where we are.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Tre doesn't count until he can play. Elam is a rookie. Johnson is good but he plays slot only. Dane Jackson is exceedingly unproven, Siran Neal never plays defense and isn't an outside corner when he does.  It's scary to need a rookie CB or raw UDFAs to come in day one and not get consistently set ablaze or die in an avalanche of yellow and that's basically where we are.

I think you're undervaluing Dane and Neal, and I think we've got a scheme to at least compete even with Tre out. But 🤷‍♂️

OLine depth to me looks like a legitimate long term (season length) problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

CB depth is terrifying. 

Strongly disagree.

The team played well during White's absence last year (minus the Chiefs), and while Wallace is now gone, guys like Lewis, McCloud, and Neal (not to mention Elam) are ready to step up. Leslie Frazier and Sean McDermott develop DBs, BELIEVE THAT! Plenty of other, more rational areas for concern. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.