Retirement locations

SDS

50 years ago New York State had 45 elected representatives in Congress,  Now it's down to about 29?

It's pretty obvious, by all these responses, that a whole lot of sports fans have left.  Wonder if NY will ever wake up, lower taxes, and make it an affordable, welcoming place to live again?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Atlanta is a transplant city.

I believe per capita, it's now the gay capital of the US.  It's very liberal.

And apparently very dangerous.

I was walking to the Coke museum in downtown Atlanta wearing my Bills cap. A police officer (also walking) stopped me because he is originally from Buffalo and saw my hat.

Long story short, he vented about how Atlanta is a warzone compared to Buffalo and how he cant wait to retire.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And apparently very dangerous.

I was walking to the Coke museum in downtown Atlanta wearing my Bills cap. A police officer (also walking) stopped me because he is originally from Buffalo and saw my hat.

Long story short, he vented about how Atlanta is a warzone compared to Buffalo and how he cant wait to retire.

That's why I don't go to Atlanta anymore unless it's a game at the Dome or going to a specific spot like the Zoo where I took my son.

I used to hangout in the midtown/downtown area but now I stay in the burbs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's why I don't go to Atlanta anymore unless it's a game at the Dome or going to a specific spot like the Zoo where I took my son.

I used to hangout in the midtown/downtown area but now I stay in the burbs.

I need a very good reason to go into Midtown/Downtown. My neighborhood is full of people who used to live in Buckhead.  The architect who originally designed our neighborhood (and some of the finest houses in Buckhead) recently moved in down the road and renovated a house. He was in the heart of Buckhead and while visiting recently said “everyone is trying to get out of Buckhead”.

Our son and his wife rented a place from us between Midtown and Buckhead by the Beltline. They were ready to have a “family home” (expecting in October), but the drag racing and gun shots sped this process up. We were glad to sell that place when we did! It’s a terrible shame. We need leadership to clean this up. It can still be done. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I need a very good reason to go into Midtown/Downtown. My neighborhood is full of people who used to live in Buckhead.  The architect who originally designed our neighborhood (and some of the finest houses in Buckhead) recently moved in down the road and renovated a house. He was in the heart of Buckhead and while visiting recently said “everyone is trying to get out of Buckhead”.

Our son and his wife rented a place from us between Midtown and Buckhead by the Beltline. They were ready to have a “family home” (expecting in October), but the drag racing and gun shots sped this process up. We were glad to sell that place when we did! It’s a terrible shame. We need leadership to clean this up. It can still be done. 

Lennox mall....Lennox mall had a shooting 2 weeks ago!  That was the higher end mall 10+ years ago.

Lennox mall....Lennox mall had a shooting 2 weeks ago!  That was the higher end mall 10+ years ago.

I knew people from Florida who would travel to Atlanta to shop at Lennox Mall years ago!  I wouldn’t drive the 20 minutes to get there now! Phipps Plaza is probably even more upscale, but it was taken over by the mobs in 2020. Looted for all they had. 

Atlanta is certainly not all bad, but there is a LOT of room for improvement! I like our house and our immediate area, but the greater Atlanta area is NOT near the top of my ideal retirement locations. 

Charleston, SC was mentioned and is very nice. I suggest renting there for a summer before making a purchase. I like summer, but it is brutally hot! 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Charleston, SC was mentioned and is very nice. I suggest renting there for a summer before making a purchase. I like summer, but it is brutally hot! 

I recommend James Island and Folly Beach - both suburbs of Charleston and nice.

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I knew people from Florida who would travel to Atlanta to shop at Lennox Mall years ago!  I wouldn’t drive the 20 minutes to get there now! Phipps Plaza is probably even more upscale, but it was taken over by the mobs in 2020. Looted for all they had. 

Atlanta is certainly not all bad, but there is a LOT of room for improvement! I like our house and our immediate area, but the greater Atlanta area is NOT near the top of my ideal retirement locations. 

People would drive 6 hours for a mall??

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I recommend James Island and Folly Beach - both suburbs of Charleston and nice.

When I lived in Hilton Head my boss was in Charleston. I knew the area pretty well back then. I also spent the summer there in a management training program the first year I was married, then just go home on the weekends. (That was odd after being married for only a few months, but worth the investment.) I’d consider it, but I’d still need a place to get away from summer heat. It gets much hotter than the west coast of Florida, which would be great for 6 months and a day to avoid state income tax. 

People would drive 6 hours for a mall??

They would fly up (driving was 7-8 hours) and stay at the (then) Ritz across the street. I thought it was odd, but knew other people who used to come up for long weekends. Great shopping, good food and entertainment. Now? Not so much. I think a lot of big cities have suffered the same way. This is indeed sad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just got back from Wilmington/Carolina Beach for vacation. This was more of an eating tour. (I recommend True Blue Butcher & Table for steak, Seaview Crab Co for casual seafood, Rooster and Crow for Southern cuisine and Edw. Teach for beer.)

Housing has definitely gone up by about $100K since I was last there. Used to be about to find places for just over $200K. Now same houses are $300K+.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.