Retirement locations

SDS

2 hours ago, teef said:

i can confirm!  you should see the school taxes.  that's what really makes your sphincter pucker.  just take a guess...

and i'm totally behind the wednesday bowling league.  if we get @Gene1973to be our fourth, no one will ***** stop us.

In Cobb County where we live outside Atlanta the school board portion of your taxes go away when you turn 62.  I’m all for funding education, but they just get more money from you younger, I guess. They make it work, and we will save about $5k on our taxes this year. The schools are about 2/3 of your overall tax bill.   😱

Americans are lucky to have warm weather retirement options in their own country. Every moderate weather location in Canada is ridiculously overpriced. My wife and I will look at southern Europe. She is Filipina so we will check things out there as well.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Americans are lucky to have warm weather retirement options in their own country. Every moderate weather location in Canada is ridiculously overpriced. My wife and I will look at southern Europe. She is Filipina so we will check things out there as well.

Canadians have Fort Lauderdale. 😉 

Anyway... Here's a geographical oddity.  To get to Canada (Windsor, Ontario) 🇨🇦 from Detroit, you have to go south.   I shityounotski! 😁 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

The Algarve region in southern Portugal is nice. Huge area for British retirees. But like with all things that get popular it's becoming expensive.

I saw an interesting article in the LA Times just a few days ago about Americans retiring to or working remotely in Mexico. It's was fine when only some did it. Now everybody wants to go and the Mexicans are a starting to hate it. We're driving up housing costs and formerly affordable places are being fixed up for the Gringos.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We already have a retirement place in Chapin SC, its in a golf community with a 41 mile long lake for boating and fishing. We have some friends who live nearby and love the area. We hope to spend some time there to see if we really like it, but the West coast of Florida seems to be where people from Long Island and this area seem to do the winters, With that in mind, we have been passively looking in Naples or West coast of Florida to be around people we know from here.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My good buddy moved there in 2016. Went to visit for his wedding in 2019, and had a blast.

I'll be nearby in Carolina Beach next week, and going downtown for a couple meals. Wife and I spend a week at the beach every year in August. Wilmington keeps calling but we have to stay put a while longer.

6 hours ago, Guffalo said:

We already have a retirement place in Chapin SC, its in a golf community with a 41 mile long lake for boating and fishing. We have some friends who live nearby and love the area. We hope to spend some time there to see if we really like it, but the West coast of Florida seems to be where people from Long Island and this area seem to do the winters, With that in mind, we have been passively looking in Naples or West coast of Florida to be around people we know from here.

The people you know who want the west coast of Florida are pure evil! You should stay as far away from them as possible, as should everybody else! How can I ever afford to move back there if everybody else wants to be there? 

• Haha (+1) 1

My retired parents moved from the Mid-Hudson Valley out to the west coast last year to an exurb of Seattle called Mount Vernon.

Seattle isn't exactly cheap, but they are saving roughly 10k a year over their living expenses in upstate New York.  That's even if you don't adjust for inflation.  Biggest differences are property taxes ($6k less on homes nearly identically appraised), income taxes (zero in Washington state), and home energy costs.  The pricer things out here are food and gas.  Sales tax is almost identical (8.13% in Dutchess County versus 8.8% in Skagit County).

If I were of retirement age in New York State, the only thing that would keep me there is family.  It's just so expensive to live there.

Personally, I have my eye on Eastern Washington for retirement.  Cheap land, 300+ days of sun, hundreds of wineries and vineyards, no income tax, and excellent outdoor recreation opportunities.  Every time we go to the Tri Cities and walk along the Columbia during the morning, and spend the afternoon at a vineyard or two... it's just bliss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

My retired parents moved from the Mid-Hudson Valley out to the west coast last year to an exurb of Seattle called Mount Vernon.

Seattle isn't exactly cheap, but they are saving roughly 10k a year over their living expenses in upstate New York.  That's even if you don't adjust for inflation.  Biggest differences are property taxes ($6k less on homes nearly identically appraised), income taxes (zero in Washington state), and home energy costs.  The pricer things out here are food and gas.  Sales tax is almost identical (8.13% in Dutchess County versus 8.8% in Skagit County).

If I were of retirement age in New York State, the only thing that would keep me there is family.  It's just so expensive to live there.

Personally, I have my eye on Eastern Washington for retirement.  Cheap land, 300+ days of sun, hundreds of wineries and vineyards, no income tax, and excellent outdoor recreation opportunities.  Every time we go to the Tri Cities and walk along the Columbia during the morning, and spend the afternoon at a vineyard or two... it's just bliss.

I think Drew Bledsoe's winery is in Eastern Washington

31 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Can a lock and dam operator get a job in Walla Walla? I hear they have nice lock and dams on the Columbia and Snake rivers!😊

IcHrbrDam-1.jpg

Ice Harbor

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I think Drew Bledsoe's winery is in Eastern Washington

I've been to it, it's called Doubleback.  They have some very good high end wines, but they are a bit above my price range.  I have a hard time stomaching $100 bottles of wine at retail!

$40-$50 is our sweet spot for "good" Bordeaux or Rhone reds, and there are a lot of those from mom and pop places along I-82 between Yakima and Richland/Red Mountain.

• Like (+1) 1

We are headed the wrong direction.  We moved from NC to Saint Paul, MN by choice two years ago.  Stepson is good at hockey and wanted to play in HS, we have our own consulting business with clients around the country so just need a good airport.   Its fun to give a kid an opportunity like this even if his hockey playing days end at High School. This is my second stint in the Twin Cities and I enjoy it.  It's gotten me back to being cold weather tough.

We are thinking about two centers for retirement...near kids and grandkids so back in NC (likely in the Sandhills area --- Pinehurst) and maybe a little place in a certain town with a football team we both enjoy...

• Like (+1) 1

Easton, MD for me.    Small town charm, great weather and only one hour away from big city amenities (pro sports, concerts, the arts).

https://www.chesapeakeliving.com/easton-the-hamptons-of-the-chesapeake-bay/

Chestertown, MD is also in the running once my wife retires.

https://www.chesapeakeliving.com/chestertown-history-art-and-a-party-spirit/

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.