Retirement locations

SDS

On 8/1/2022 at 6:08 PM, sherpa said:

Prior to retirement, I worked in an industry where people could live or retire anywhere they wanted.

Many "offshore" places, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Panama, many places in Europe and the Caribbean, and all over the US.

We went through the same process, and decided to live where we do now.

My only contribution,, having listened to hundreds of stories, is to rent for a month, at minimum, at anyplace you are seriously considering,

Having lived in several U.S. cities I would agree with the rent for a little bit comment.  No place is going to be perfect and you will want to understand what the trade offs are before you are locked into them.  Also, it’s really hard to understand the impact of things like traffic patterns, noise, density or other factors that may impact your day to day life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I want to move out west like Colorado after I retire.  

I don't want to stay in the south because of people like this.

Anything specific about colorade?  i know it's beautiful, but the weather can be whacky.  my wife's uncle moved out there for a bit to open a branch of his engineering firm.  he and his wife enjoyed, but they didn't want to live there full time.  the weather would still be too much of an issue for me in the winter.

also, that kid doesn't strike me as your typical southerner.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

Anything specific about colorade?  i know it's beautiful, but the weather can be whacky.  my wife's uncle moved out there for a bit to open a branch of his engineering firm.  he and his wife enjoyed, but they didn't want to live there full time.  the weather would still be too much of an issue for me in the winter.

I do teef. Not to bud into your conversation but I lived there for 6 years (colorado springs specifically) I cannot speak for how it would be like to live elsewhere in the state. C Springs is located at the front range of the rocky Mountains where is located Pikes Peak. The height of the mountain will block a lot of the worst winter weather. I know it sounds odd but its true. They may get a blizzard every so often but the high altitude combined with how quickly weather fronts can move in and out you can have snow and the same day the street will be steaming they are drying so fast due to the sun coming back out. Happened a lot. In colorado if you are in the sun in the winter you could easily be in a sweatshirt but get cold as soon as you are out of its direct suns path. The sun shines a lot in winter in Colorado it is not gray for weeks at a time. I considered the winters there pretty mild as compared to WNY in S Springs specifically anyway.

m

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I want to move out west like Colorado after I retire.  

I don't want to stay in the south because of people like this.

Bruh that's you

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

I do teef. Not to bud into your conversation but I lived there for 6 years (colorado springs specifically) I cannot speak for how it would be like to live elsewhere in the state. C Springs is located at the front range of the rocky Mountains where is located Pikes Peak. The height of the mountain will block a lot of the worst winter weather. I know it sounds odd but its true. They may get a blizzard every so often but the high altitude combined with how quickly weather fronts can move in and out you can have snow and the same day the street will be steaming they are drying so fast due to the sun coming back out. Happened a lot. In colorado if you are in the sun in the winter you could easily be in a sweatshirt but get cold as soon as you are out of its direct suns path. The sun shines a lot in winter in Colorado it is not gray for weeks at a time. I considered the winters there pretty mild as compared to WNY in S Springs specifically anyway.

m

There are 3 main reasons I hate winter. First, it’s cold. You may have known that already. Second, and maybe more important, is the gray skies. I hate the gloomy skies, and Atlanta gets a lot of that in the winter. Last, it just lasts FAR too long. It sounds like Colorado Springs is an improvement in at least two of those categories. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, muppy said:

m

always chime in!  i have heard that about the mountains.  my understanding is that's why you can have a 65 degree day followed up by a day with 5 inches of snow.  it's the sun that makes the difference.  i'd manage the winters much better here if it wasn't for the constant gray.  you'll have days that the sun pops out, but month and months of the lack of sun has started to wear on me.   my wife's uncle was in denver which is a unique situation.  they've had such incredible growth that i think they just didn't like the busyness of it all.  on top of that a wildfire crept into their neighborhood and destroyed a number of homes.  theirs was fine, but they ended up selling to a neighbor, getting an apartment, and getting a house in saratoga.  they enjoy it, but won't do all year round.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Because of the peace sign?

lack of a cowboy hat.

51 minutes ago, teef said:

I heard that Denver doesn't actually snow that much.  It gets snow but not as much as the surrounding Colorado areas.

I hate the heat of the south now.  Maybe Virginia, Kentucky or North Carolina as well.  I want just to live somewhere that doesn't have extreme weather either hot or cold.

Atlanta isn't really a southern city.  If you want to get country folk and accents, you have to go outside of Atlanta.  Atlanta is a transplant city.

I believe per capita, it's now the gay capital of the US.  It's very liberal.

28 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Bruh that's you

That boy aint Korean.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard that Denver doesn't actually snow that much.  It gets snow but not as much as the surrounding Colorado areas.

I hate the heat of the south now.  Maybe Virginia, Kentucky or North Carolina as well.  I want just to live somewhere that doesn't have extreme weather either hot or cold.

Atlanta isn't really a southern city.  If you want to get country folk and accents, you have to go outside of Atlanta.  Atlanta is a transplant city.

I believe per capita, it's now the gay capital of the US.  It's very liberal.

tha't's an interesting take on atlanta and it makes sense.  ever consider having a place there and  having one up north...maybe in rochester?  as close as possible to me.  you know likei'vebeentherebefore, (bbmb) lives minutes away.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

tha't's an interesting take on atlanta and it makes sense.  ever consider having a place there and  having one up north...maybe in rochester?  as close as possible to me.  you know likei'vebeentherebefore, (bbmb) lives minutes away.  

I heard the property taxes are higher in NY State.  Can you confirm?  

I own two places now.  Maybe when I see the condo in 10 or so years, I could put that towards a house in Rochester.  Then you, me and Likeive can go bowling on Wednesday's together.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard the property taxes are higher in NY State.  Can you confirm?  

I own two places now.  Maybe when I see the condo in 10 or so years, I could put that towards a house in Rochester.  Then you, me and Likeive can go bowling on Wednesday's together.

i can confirm!  you should see the school taxes.  that's what really makes your sphincter pucker.  just take a guess...

and i'm totally behind the wednesday bowling league.  if we get @Gene1973to be our fourth, no one will ***** stop us.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i can confirm!  you should see the school taxes.  that's what really makes your sphincter pucker.  just take a guess...

and i'm totally behind the wednesday bowling league.  if we get @Gene1973to be our fourth, no one will ***** stop us.

I have a feeling Gene has his own bowling ball and shoes.  

Sure it's the latitude, but there's other factors.  NYC (Central Park) almost as sunny as Tampa, FL %wise and actually has more sun @ Central Park. I take the other parts of the city drag the % slightly down.  58% compared to 63%.  ??

Moline, Illinois... Pretty damn shocking, right? Is pretty damn sunny and cracks over 200 days a year w/sun.  For the record, Tampa is 234.  What's a measly month spread out of 12 months? 2 more days a month? Big wow!

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-state-sunshine.php

Compare the states... Yeah, Florida is the "Sunshine State"... But NOT by much.

Arizona blows Florida away. Florida just a bit above the rest,  but not by much. 

NYC Central Park had more days with sun than Jacksonville!  

SunnyDays/PartlySunnyDays/EDays/E%

Jacksonville: 94/127/221 @63% 

NYCCP: 107/127/234 @ 58%

Explain that @Augie 😉😜 

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

your wife needs to talk to my wife. I have tried to get her to get into golf. The best I can do is get her to walk with me 9 holes once per year. 

It helps when your husband and your BFF of over 35 years love golf. Kinda like submitting into good peer pressure.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.