Retirement locations

SDS

5 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Have I missed  the "Western New York"  response ?

I’ve honestly recently looked at options around where I grew up in WNY. My hope is to get back to Florida but have a place to avoid summer heat. If the NC mountains prove to be too expensive, plan B might come into play. Like @ExiledInIllinois it would be a secondary home, but with great summer and fall weather and a special brand of people. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, teef said:

for our southerns or anyone in a warm climate...why move after retirement?  i get downsizing, having an adventure, but what would be the other reasons?  if you like your set up and the weather isn't an issue, it would seem most comfortable to stay.  

i am with you. Still like 20 years from retiring. But when I do, I think I would just do like periodic warm weather vacations in the winter, as opposed to moving south. I like being up in the northeast. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am with you. Still like 20 years from retiring. But when I do, I think I would just do like periodic warm weather vacations in the winter, as opposed to moving south. I like being up in the northeast. 

A periodic cool weather trip during the summer is the reverse for us. Every time we go back to Hilton Head Island, SC (met wife there, kids born there, etc.)I look at condos for sale that we could use and rent when empty. I just know I’d feel like I had to go there for every vacation rather than experiencing new places. 

I’m retired, the wife is not yet. Her work and our family nearby determine everything…..for a few more years, at least. I’ve got a plan and can’t wait to put it in place.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

A periodic cool weather trip during the summer is the reverse for us. Every time we go back to Hilton Head Island, SC (met wife there, kids born there, etc.)I look at condos for sale that we could use and rent when empty. I just know I’d feel like I had to go there for every vacation rather than experiencing new places. 

I’m retired, the wife is not yet. Her work and our family nearby determine everything…..for a few more years, at least. I’ve got a plan and can’t wait to put it in place.  

I think you hit the right criteria. live near friends and family or just places You enjoy— and then springboard to visit other areas. 

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i really do like it here from june 1st until january 1st.  the only thing that may keep me from coming back would be if my family and friends are completely gone, which may be a real possibility.  i still wouldn't do the south all year round.  I'll always have a home base in the northeast.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, teef said:

i really do like it here from june 1st until january 1st.  the only thing that may keep me from coming back would be if my family and friends are completely gone, which may be a real possibility.  i still wouldn't so the south all year round.  I'll always have a home base in the northeast.  

Out of all of my family and friends growing up, only one person that I know of as a friend (not some high school classmate) lives in WNY right now. (And even he moved to Boston for 15 years.) You are heartier than myself, I like early fall, but then I’ll come back for a week or two during the Holidays. 

To each their own, and I hope we all get what we want the most in retirement! 

Have a camp on the upper Allegheny we'll probably stay in from early May til the leaves fall, then will buy property somewhere in the mountains of East Central Arizona or North Central New Mexico to spend winters.

Not sure what the wife's plans are yet :devil:

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Rigby said:

Must say after having visited a friend who works out there several times, my top location for my retirement right now is Alaska, namely around Juneau.

Great people, beautiful country, no one is on top of you, plenty of outdoor activities to do(I love hiking and skiing) etc.

But can you play golf in January and February?

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

But can you play golf in January and February?

It is…………less enjoyable. 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who plays golf then?  Those are skiing months!

All my friends in Florida. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I tried skiing once, My feet cramped up and I had to crawl back to the lodge. That was the last time I tried to ski.

But golf courses are usually at the base or through the low slopes of ski hills, mountains. Pack the clubs away for the winter! 😉 😜 

Do I try to ski through the greens in July?  Yeah... Maybe in Argentina! 😏 

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But golf courses are usually at the base or through the low slopes of ski hills, mountains. Pack the clubs away for the winter! 😉 😜 

Do I try to ski through the greens in July?  Yeah... Maybe in Argentina! 😏 

Must 

play 

golf 

year 

around

yo

We bought a condo in a resort town in northwest Montana. At this point it’s a rental / business with personal use mixed in a few times during the year (just got back from a week there actually). As we get older, I expect the proportion to flip towards more personal use. I could absolutely live / retire there, it’s beautiful country and outdoor recreation opportunities are endless.

Most of our family and many friends are here in Cbus so I imagine we will always have some kind of residence here, even if we downsize after the kid goes off to college (he’s just starting kindergarten, so we have some time!)

At some point would probably look to have something on the beach in South Carolina or Florida and just bounce around, but that’s obviously much further down the road (God willing). I’ve seen the best laid plans get a wrench thrown into them so we try to strike the balance between appreciating every day you have and not saying “we’ll do that sometime later on”,  while still living within reality. 

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have discovered that I need an off-season for golf.  By the time

October rolls around, I have developed a number of new and disturbing swing flaws. It helps to put away the clubs for 6 months and re-set in April.

I play with my wife and we just love our time together on the course. 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Out of all of my family and friends growing up, only one person that I know of as a friend (not some high school classmate) lives in WNY right now. (And even he moved to Boston for 15 years.) You are heartier than myself, I like early fall, but then I’ll come back for a week or two during the Holidays. 

To each their own, and I hope we all get what we want the most in retirement! 

i have to imagine this is the way it will work out as well.  work will probably be my biggest decider.  my plan is to work beyond 65, but on a part time basis.  maybe 2-3 days a week.  if my kids want to take over the business, i'll stick around.  if they move on, i'll sell everything and figure out where to live, likely based somewhere around their geography.  

34 minutes ago, Draconator said:

i think that's nice.  my wife asked to work out with me and she said she had never seem me so appalled.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, teef said:

for our southerns or anyone in a warm climate...why move after retirement?  i get downsizing, having an adventure, but what would be the other reasons?  if you like your set up and the weather isn't an issue, it would seem most comfortable to stay.  

I want to move out west like Colorado after I retire.  

I don't want to stay in the south because of people like this.

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

your wife needs to talk to my wife. I have tried to get her to get into golf. The best I can do is get her to walk with me 9 holes once per year. 

Are you guys swingers?

image.png.5a6277bf6eea56fefcbc27b07cd191cb.png

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.