Retirement locations

SDS

for our southerns or anyone in a warm climate...why move after retirement?  i get downsizing, having an adventure, but what would be the other reasons?  if you like your set up and the weather isn't an issue, it would seem most comfortable to stay.  

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

You are not alone. We moved to Sarasota, Florida in 1993. My parents came to visit one weekend and it was eye opening. We went out to dinner on Saturday and they ran into people they knew from WNY. We went to church Sunday morning, and they ran into more people they knew. We went out to see a Bills game Sunday and my father ran into a guy he went to high school with. They hadn’t seen each other in about 50 years so I don’t even know how they recognized each other! It seems half the people who fled WNY landed in Florida. 

My wife works with someone who lives in L.A.  The co-worker is originally from WNY. How she got to LA came up and she volunteered that she is there for the weather. She puts up with the taxes and the traffic so she can have the weather she craves. 

My kids say growing up in Buffalo scarred me. That connotation may be a little harsh, but there is a LOT of truth to it. My happiness is largely weather dependent. I’d rather have two modest homes with good weather options than one more grand home where I had to suffer bad seasonal weather.

Our retirement choice was based on weather and the fact that being bicoastal works within our family dynamic.  And rather than cash in on our home equity to move somewhere else we are very content just to stay put.  WE do have access within approx 2 hours to snow. Hubby was born and raised in Phoenix he's not having snow all that often. And I do not like severe heat. If I really had my druthers my ideal climate sweet spot would be colorado springs. Great town I love the mountains too.

I think chosing where to live in retirement depends on wether you want to live near other family members.... Ours come to Us 🙂 Our financial adviser has a condo in Puerto Nuevo Mexico he will retire there.     

• Like (+1) 1

Probably one of these states that don't tax pensions, SS, & 401k:

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/601819/states-that-wont-tax-your-pension

Ooops... Looks like I am keeping the address in Illinois and getting a "vacation home!"

"Pensions: The Prairie State completely exempts private pension income from tax as long as it's from a qualified employee benefit plan. You won't pay tax on payments from government or military pensions, either.

401(k)s and IRAs: Illinois is very taxpayer-friendly when it comes to 401(k) plans and IRAs, too. Distributions from a 401(k) plan are tax-free if the plan is a qualified employee benefit plan. IRA distributions are not taxed, either.

Social Security Benefits: Illinois also doesn't tax Social Security benefits.

Income Tax Range: The Illinois income tax rate is a flat 4.95%."

43 minutes ago, muppy said:

Our retirement choice was based on weather and the fact that being bicoastal works within our family dynamic.  And rather than cash in on our home equity to move somewhere else we are very content just to stay put.  WE do have access within approx 2 hours to snow. Hubby was born and raised in Phoenix he's not having snow all that often. And I do not like severe heat. If I really had my druthers my ideal climate sweet spot would be colorado springs. Great town I love the mountains too.

I think chosing where to live in retirement depends on wether you want to live near other family members.... Ours come to Us 🙂 Our financial adviser has a condo in Puerto Nuevo Mexico he will retire there.     

I am fortunate that as the youngest my parents followed us (actually our kids). My sisters come to see my parents several times a year so I felt no need to visit them…..until the Bills played the Packers near my sister in Wisconsin. She had lived there 23 years and I had never visited, but it was a great trip! 

If/When our son eventually moves back to Florida to be closer to his wife’s family we will follow. That’s years from now, and the wife will be sure we have a summer place to escape the looooong hot summers. 

In 2 years my fiance and I will both be APP's, she's already one, I'm halfway there. Ideally I we want to leave the Rochester area well before retirement, as in 2 - 3 years. We both do not like the cold nor the taxes and want to be near the water/ocean. We vacationed in Charleston SC last year and loved it, but we also have our eyes on Wilmington NC as it is a little cheaper and still very close to the ocean. We are both from Rochester so our families are located here, that does not hold me back but it makes her tentative on leaving as we have a 5 month old in case we need emergency baby sitters.

If we stay up here, the day I retire I am buying a beach side/ beach town condo in a warm nice place and I will snow bird it for 8-9 months a year.

Edited by Your Brown Eye

I have been wanting to move back to WNY most of my work career but never found the job which could match my background except for some jobs which would accept "local candidates only".   I am not as connected to family as I used to be so I am thinking New Zealand.  I am not one for foreign languages and the weather is temperate.  I'd have to visit first and that would need to wait until at least one of us retired to make travel schedules easier.

Hong Kong was my retirement goal but too many changes for me to be comfortable but I will if that is what my wife wants.

There's a ton of great small cities and towns in TN & North Alabama that are still solid values and even see a snow or two in the winter.  I'll definitely hang onto my 6 acres in upstate NY but will have someone look after it maybe from Thanksgiving to early May so i can go live on a lake or river down south.  OTOH maybe global warming will make the Capitol Region seem like North Alabama, probably not soon enough to help me though

• Like (+1) 1

We moved to Middle TN 2 and a half years ago, my job let me be remote before everyone was doing it for Covid. Covid then hit and made moving really interesting.

We moved for three reasons, better career opportunities near Nashville for my wife, taxes, and weather.

We figured it was a place where we could have fun and retire if needed without having to move again (timed the housing market really well, house has nearly doubled in value)

Now we are thinking about getting a beach house that’s within a reasonable driving distance, and will act as our retirement home when we are ready. (We are in our late 30’s so have time)

Been eyeing gulf shores area in Alabama, maybe closer to Mobile, beaches are beautiful there, housing isn’t crazy expensive either and is only 6.5 hour drive 

Must say after having visited a friend who works out there several times, my top location for my retirement right now is Alaska, namely around Juneau.

Great people, beautiful country, no one is on top of you, plenty of outdoor activities to do(I love hiking and skiing) etc.

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But aren't they not letting anyone in right now? Or making the bar very high?

You're right.

Our borders have been closed for the last few years and now that things are opening up, the government has raised the standards for incoming immigrants. 

I'm glad we got here when we did.  (In 2005)

Prior to retirement, I worked in an industry where people could live or retire anywhere they wanted.

Many "offshore" places, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Panama, many places in Europe and the Caribbean, and all over the US.

We went through the same process, and decided to live where we do now.

My only contribution,, having listened to hundreds of stories, is to rent for a month, at minimum, at anyplace you are seriously considering,

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Prior to retirement, I worked in an industry where people could live or retire anywhere they wanted.

Many "offshore" places, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Panama, many places in Europe and the Caribbean, and all over the US.

We went through the same process, and decided to live where we do now.

My only contribution,, having listened to hundreds of stories, is to rent for a month, at minimum, at anyplace you are seriously considering,

Where is that?

14 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Charlottesville, VA.

Four seasons with lengthy spring and fall.

Premier university town

Mountains nearby.

Visited decades ago when my sister-in-law worked at UVA while her then husband was in medical school. BEAUTIFUL area and nice college town. Loved the campus and downtown. Had a little picnic on top of a hill with a very nice view. I’d love to get back some time before we make our final decision. There is a lot to like! 

I retired last year and we’re staying right here in NYS (Syracuse suburb). We have everything we need; nice house in quiet neighborhood, 2 miles from Oneida Lake, progressive state policies, and close enough to Buffalo. I play hockey 3 times a week and the rink is a 10 minutes drive. The only place I’d consider moving to is the Buffalo area to be closer to family and sports teams.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.