Retirement locations

SDS

Somewhere in the South. We have been to Laurel, Mississippi (think the HGTV show Hometown), and we fell in love with the place. Everyone was genuinely friendly. Cost of living was low. Just a really nice place. We're also going to check out Savannah, Georgia, and the Gulf Coast. 

Sarasota, FL where we lived for 18 years. Love downtown and the different walkable areas with sidewalk cafes, great water views and fantastic restaurants! Hot summers, but not hotter than Atlanta, just longer.  It’s CRAZY expensive right now (like most places) but I see that correcting a bit.

We were in Blowing Rock, NC all of last week, and that would be our summer escape from the heat, I think. It’s optimistic, but also realistic.  Blowing Rock is cute touristy, while Boone a few minutes north is a college town (Appalachian State) with the vibe that offers. My wife LOVES the mountains and plans to do a month there next summer. I could do the ENTIRE summer, so maybe one day. 

Edited by Augie
R
  • Disagree 1

But with what my wife and I are going to do, we may be traveling hippies in our retirement. We're buying an motor home next Spring, and come fall of 2023, we're hitting the road and living in the motor home for a year. Yahoo is nearly 100% remote now so I can work from anywhere. The only sucky thing is I'll have to leave the band, but this is something I just can't pass up. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sarasota, FL where we lived for 18 years. CRAZY expensive right now (like most places) but I see that correcting a bit. We were in Blowing Rock, NC all of last week, and that would be our summer escape from the heat, I think. It’s optimistic, but also realistic. 

C'mon man... Florida sucks and it's boring AF. There is very little natural beauty here and all beaches start to look the same. NC is a much better choice.

30 minutes ago, SDS said:

What realistic places do you have your eye on? Where and why?

The question here is what type of lifestyle do you want to live. What style are you looking for? There are plenty of places outside of the US for retirement as well.

Just now, T&C said:

C'mon man... Florida sucks and it's boring AF. There is very little natural beauty here and all beaches start to look the same. NC is a much better choice.

You can vote with your feet, and I’ll vote with mine. Not many places in FL that I know and really like, but I love Sarasota. (The Naples, Venice and St Augustine areas also intrigue me.) It’s “home” to me where we raised our kids and most of our friends are there. It gets long summers, much like Buffalo’s winters. It’s rarely severe enough to bother me, but it can last FAR too long. 

I have Blowing Rock weather on my phone app which I check almost daily. My “happy window” in BR weather is relatively brief. The summer, a little fall and maybe one week of what they call winter. I need 6 months and a day to avoid state taxes and homestead my FL place, so that slant works for me. 

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

The question here is what type of lifestyle do you want to live. What style are you looking for? There are plenty of places outside of the US for retirement as well.

I don’t recall restrictions, just the where and the why. What would you enjoy, and why? 

• Like (+1) 1

we were very fortunate to be able to buy a house here in socal when we arrived in the late 80's At this point we have zero plans to retire anywhere else but here. Americas Finest City 🙂 The cards fell very right for us and I am grateful and super happy to be here . LOTS of WNY folks around which Is a huge Plus 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Draconator said:

But with what my wife and I are going to do, we may be traveling hippies in our retirement. We're buying an motor home next Spring, and come fall of 2023, we're hitting the road and living in the motor home for a year. Yahoo is nearly 100% remote now so I can work from anywhere. The only sucky thing is I'll have to leave the band, but this is something I just can't pass up. 

Prices of RVs  and Motor homes are expected to drop in 2022-2023 as the post covid era causes people to unload purchases they made in 2020 and 2021.

Good luck with this project.

As for me and Mrs. Lew, we are staying in West by God Virginia.  Health Care sux, the weather is fine,  and taxes are low.  but number 1 reason is the three grandkid live here and we enjoy seeing them and providing daycare services for the 2 close by.  We remodeled our house to make it more senior friendly over the years.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Prices of RVs  and Motor homes are expected to drop in 2022-2023 as the post covid era causes people to unload purchases they made in 2020 and 2021.

Good luck with this project.

Thanks for that. Also, with the chip shortage, new motor homes that were supposed to be delivered in October of last year are just now coming in. Making 2021's and 2022's really affordable. We looked at a 36 ft brand new 2022 that was $155K. Normally it should have been listed for around $189K.

Considering Wilmington (already mentioned) and Asheville, NC. Different climates but consistency with events, nightlife, food, and culture. Also, close enough where children live who are getting married this year.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  Very cheap.  Take what you need to retire in the US and cut it in half.  Stable government, strong property laws since they were a british colony.  Low risk of having my cash and property seized relative to other countries.  Great food and the location is adjacent to a lot of other desirable travel destinations.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Thanks for that. Also, with the chip shortage, new motor homes that were supposed to be delivered in October of last year are just now coming in. Making 2021's and 2022's really affordable. We looked at a 36 ft brand new 2022 that was $155K. Normally it should have been listed for around $189K.

Careful of the covid models. They have been building them like crap the last couple years so make sure you give that thing one heck of an inspection. Join facebook owners groups of the models you're looking for so you know what the common problems are.  We full timed the last few years.  There is also a wild shortage of spots especially in the popular areas cause of the influx of full timers.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Once I year I scan the list of "Best Value Retirement Locations" even though I am a good 20+ years away from retiring unless things go very well in the next decade (which I am open to, if anyone up there is listening!).  I got no kids and that situation is not going to change so the entire globe is in play so long as we are willing to live far away from remaining family and friends who I assume will be staying in the States.

I see destinations in Malaysia remain on the list. Panama and much of latin America have been mainstays on this list.  Bali Indonesia popping up surprises me.  Might need to look into properties when I'm there in a few months.   

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-best-affordable-places-to-retire-overseas?slide=15

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

I may be the odd one here.  I'm happy with Columbus OH.  Now - I may take a period of time to hang in FL, AZ, CO, UT, NC.

i don't think it's odd.  i think it's typical for those of us who live in the north/north east.

i'm going to be 45 this fall, so i have a while to go, but it's very much in the back of my head.  i really love the rochester area in the summer.  we are outside all the time.  we use the finger lakes, thousand islands, the adirondacks, etc.  i also love the fall and christmas season, but after january 1st, ***** this place.    people from our area of the world like to go to places as warm as possible, so i'm not being creative and thinking florida.  we have family in palm beach and naples, so i'm sure that's where we'll start.

the other question for us is will we keep a residence here?  my parents will be gone.  my older brother likely will move when he's retired, and even my friends will likely leave because their parents are gone, and their siblings have moved to other states. I'm not doing florida all year round, so we'll see.    I'll want to know what my kids are going to do, so i'm sure that will drive the decision.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

We are back in Knoxville, TN, Great potential retirement spot as it is a mid-sized city where the University adds some “spice.”  There is a lot to do if you are a water, outdoor person.  Cost of living used to be very reasonable and still is compared to a coastal city.  However, like most places, housing prices have shot up. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Once I year I scan the list of "Best Value Retirement Locations" even though I am a good 20+ years away from retiring unless things go very well in the next decade (which I am open to, if anyone up there is listening!).  I got no kids and that situation is not going to change so the entire globe is in play so long as we are willing to live far away from remaining family and friends who I assume will be staying in the States.

I see destinations in Malaysia remain on the list. Panama and much of latin America have been mainstays on this list.  Bali Indonesia popping up surprises me.  Might need to look into properties when I'm there in a few months.   

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-best-affordable-places-to-retire-overseas?slide=15

Since you and wife are looking outside the US as possible retirement locations, have you thought of Tuscany or Italian coast?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Got about 16 years to go (hopefully).  A lot depends on where my kids are and what they are doing.  The older I get, the more I warm to the idea of a better climate.

You are not alone. We moved to Sarasota, Florida in 1993. My parents came to visit one weekend and it was eye opening. We went out to dinner on Saturday and they ran into people they knew from WNY. We went to church Sunday morning, and they ran into more people they knew. We went out to see a Bills game Sunday and my father ran into a guy he went to high school with. They hadn’t seen each other in about 50 years so I don’t even know how they recognized each other! It seems half the people who fled WNY landed in Florida. 

My wife works with someone who lives in L.A.  The co-worker is originally from WNY. How she got to LA came up and she volunteered that she is there for the weather. She puts up with the taxes and the traffic so she can have the weather she craves. 

My kids say growing up in Buffalo scarred me. That connotation may be a little harsh, but there is a LOT of truth to it. My happiness is largely weather dependent. I’d rather have two modest homes with good weather options than one more grand home where I had to suffer bad seasonal weather.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.