WR Deebo Samuel signs 3 year extension worth up to 73.5 million. Staying in San Fran

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well I heard Colin Cowherd on the radio say a few months ago there are four key positions you need to build a team around and must be willing to pay for:

QB, LT (or RT for left-handed QB's), CB, DE

He said a top-flight WR is becoming important, but you can still get around this. He put them slightly below the top four positions, but above the rest.

I think for my top 5 I’d go:

1. QB

2. DE

3. WR

4. CB

5. LT

At that point I’d start looking at MLB and or C in no specific order.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

So what does he identify as?

WR?

RB?

WIDE RB?

Runceiver?

A tree?

A dude

28 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Isaiah McKenzie basically did the same thing for us last season, so yeah the 49ers can have Deebo for that ridiculous price... I'll take our superior depth at WR thank you very much!

Don't compare the two WR's.  Deebo is significantly better.  As far as depth, the backup outside WR is Kummerow.   No bueno

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Is there a more important position outside of QB? Maybe DE?

Nope. It's just after the Davonte Adams & Tyreek Hill trades, the market shot up to reflect now that.

Used to seem like QB's, DE's & CB's were the most sought after components. Now WR is getting its turn. LT & O-line play is vital as well, but individuals don't receive the attention or highlights that "skill" position players do.

35 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Nope. It's just after the Davonte Adams & Tyreek Hill trades, the market shot up to reflect now that.

Used to seem like QB's, DE's & CB's were the most sought after components. Now WR is getting its turn. LT & O-line play is vital as well, but individuals don't receive the attention or highlights that "skill" position players do.

Yeah, I think OL is important as well, but can be masked by the elite QBs of the world.

I don’t think you need an elite LT, just a good one. Same goes for center too. Give me Garrett, Bosa and Watt over Armstead and Tunsil every day of the week. A great DE can dominate a game and is very hard to come by unless you’re picking top 2-3. I think you can find reasonably good LTs RDs 1-2.

A true shutdown corner is also very hard to come by. The Revis Island, Sherman or Deion in his prime type of players rarely come by, but if you get one, it can open up things for your defense in a mega way.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Yeah, I think OL is important as well, but can be masked by the elite QBs of the world.

I don’t think you need an elite LT, just a good one. Same goes for center too. Give me Garrett, Bosa and Watt over Armstead and Tunsil every day of the week. A great DE can dominate a game and is very hard to come by unless you’re picking top 2-3. I think you can find reasonably good LTs RDs 1-2.

A true shutdown corner is also very hard to come by. The Revis Island, Sherman or Deion in his prime type of players rarely come by, but if you get one, it can open up things for your defense in a mega way.

100% agree. Just look at how much Watt almost singlehandedly flipped games for the Steelers last year. Guy was a one man wrecking crew.

Shutdown corners help the entire defense as well. Coverage sacks aren't noticed often, but that extra time it takes for the QB to scout the field hoping to find someone ends up giving the pass rush extra seconds to get to their man.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

So what does he identify as?

WR?

RB?

WIDE RB?

Runceiver?

A tree?

Weapon!  

77 rec 1405 18.2ypc + 365 yards rushing.

3rd in the league for total yards from scrimmage.

Too much is made of him running the ball out of the backfield.  He's an excellent WR.

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Isaiah McKenzie basically did the same thing for us last season, so yeah the 49ers can have Deebo for that ridiculous price... I'll take our superior depth at WR thank you very much!

McKenzie did absolutely nothing of the sort.  

Deebo put up better numbers than Diggs last year.

• Like (+1) 1

If Deebo had got his trade and signed for this deal somewhere else I would be criticising that team because I don't think he is worth that money in just "any" offense. But in the 49ers offense that almost feels like a bargain. He is perfect for the scheme and the scheme is perfect for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Definitely not Shakir

It will be. The Bills don't consider him only a slot receiver. That's only the people on this board.

When repeatedly asked if he will be a slot receiver they have refused to affirm that and said they believe he can play outside and don't want to pigeonhole him into a slot role.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on what Beane said last week their initial take on the first few days of camp is Shakir is much more comfortable in the slot. That is where they are working him. 

Dorsey also said he refused to pigeonhole him there.

Edited by Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It will be. The Bills don't consider him only a slot receiver. That's only the people on this board.

When repeatedly asked if he will be a slot receiver they have refused to affirm that and said they believe he can play outside and don't want to pigeonhole him into a slot role.

Dorsey also said he refused to pigeonhole him there.

We will see. I don't expect a lot of Shakir on the outside this year. The odd snap? Sure. 

11 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I mean - He led the league in yards per catch with 18.2, and averaged 10 YAC per reception.  I know he gets some RB targets as well - but his Yards before catch was actually 8.3.  Cooper Kupps YBC was 7.6, and his YAC was 5.8.  He broke more tackles than any WR.  Another 6.2 Yards per carry which is near tops of the league if he had enough carries.  He broke another 9 tackles in the run game - which translates to a 6.6 attempts per broken tackle.  Tops in the league was Javonte williams with 6.5.  

To lead the league in yards per reception, and not be notably fast (he ran a 4.48) is pretty cool.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Deebo had got his trade and signed for this deal somewhere else I would be criticising that team because I don't think he is worth that money in just "any" offense. But in the 49ers offense that almost feels like a bargain. He is perfect for the scheme and the scheme is perfect for him. 

Agree - dangerous in the open field in a play action oriented offense.  Jet motion he can cause issues.  Line him up in the backfield.  Whatever you want to do to create mismatches and get numbers in your favor. 

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Agree - dangerous in the open field in a play action oriented offense.  Jet motion he can cause issues.  Line him up in the backfield.  Whatever you want to do to create mismatches and get numbers in your favor. 

Shanahan is as close as anyone to genuinely creating positionless football on offense. And Samuel is perfect for that. Put him in a scheme that is more tradition not just in where it ask wide receivers to line up, but the routes it asks them to run, and I think Deebo is a good #2 receiver. In the Shanny offense he is an elite difference maker.

10 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Weapon!  

77 rec 1405 18.2ypc + 365 yards rushing.

3rd in the league for total yards from scrimmage.

Too much is made of him running the ball out of the backfield.  He's an excellent WR.

McKenzie did absolutely nothing of the sort.  

Deebo put up better numbers than Diggs last year.

Agreed.  He was a rare ball carrier--3.5 carries per game.  136 total touches over 17 games.  Not exactly the most punishing workload...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.