Thad Brown throws Cover 1 under the bus for practice videos

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If anything this tweet from Thad comes off as  jealously.  

Since he is credentialed media he has to follow rules and protocols for everything from what details he can reveal about practice to putting in formal requests with the team for interviews.  He likely has to mind his P’s and Q’s so as not to have any Sullivan-like hot takes that would piss off the team.  He has to follow these rules, because if he loses his credentials for his station he likely loses his job.  

On top of this, there’s limitations of his coverage to the 10 minutes or so he gets for the sports segment on the news.

An outlet like Cover 1 has complete freedom to say and do whatever they want.  Yes they don’t get credentialed, but they can cover the team with open practice access, all 22 game footage and now player interviews.  

So Thad seems to be upset that he has to jump through the hoops set up by Bills PR, and it’s really not that big of an advantage 

There are signs clearly showing all around the fences, "No Videotaping Allowed." I don't see how they enforce if you're taping for your own use, but once you post online, credentialed or not, it seems they could come after you and bar you from ever attending camp.

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Don't be so sure. 95% of it yeah Belicheat and co don't learn much. But that extra 5% is why they would watch it. Even when they do all the work themselves, 95% is going through the motion to have the basics down and find that extra 5%.

Trust me, the Bills won't be showing that 5% at TC in open practices 

• Agree 1

Odd duck here: I like to read both Thad Brown and Cover 1. TB gives you the quick hits from practice action we all crave, and Cover 1 gives us the more in-depth analytics type of stuff. Both serve a useful, but different, purpose. 

Now, Thad did sound a bit like a jealous middle schooler telling their teacher about some bad kids at recess. Probably not the look you want Thab. 

Edited by CSBill

Cover 1 is also made up of dyed in the wool Bills fans, so I doubt they would ever cross certain lines when it comes to anything that really could help an upcoming opponent more than the next guys’ fan blogs…I appreciate their content, informed takes and football savvy—all delivered with humor and genuine love for the Bills. Thad, take notes on how it’s done. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Cover 1 is also made up of dyed in the wool Bills fans, so I doubt they would ever cross certain lines when it comes to anything that really could help an upcoming opponent more than the next guys’ fan blogs…I appreciate their content, informed takes and football savvy—all delivered with humor and genuine love for the Bills. Thad, take notes on how it’s done. 

I think the only real issue might be that they charge a fee for their content. Commercial ventures tend to be more scrutinized than purely "fan based" content.  But in this case I doubt it will be a big deal.  Maybe, if they like it they'll take it over,  like the did with Bills Mafia. 🙃

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

ok so what if he wasn’t an American citizen? Odd you throw that in there. Anyway man take a chill pill…it’s not that serious. Nothing wrong with aggression towards trolls and douchebags either. I’m not with coddling asshats. If I see Thad and the setting is right, I’ll exercise my right as an American citizen (see what I did there?) and let him know just how I feel about em with my right to free speech. Then I’ll start a contest in the Bills Mafia FB group….$1000 to the person with the most likes to an anti Thad Brown comment under his tweets and posts. It’s all really in the name of entertainment. He is a guy I’m may grow to love to hate 😁 Hope you can still sleep tonight after hearing about my plans 😙

It’s bad form to encourage people to harass or act aggressively toward someone especially over something as mundane as a recreational sport and you likely know it, as I said, there are lots of stupid people out there who act out over similar language in this day and age, we see it frequently in this country, nuthin but luv👍 

Go Bills !!!

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think Thad is jealous that Cover1 does a better job of team coverage than him.

More so he is jealous that he is not allowed by the Bills to match their content.

Thad has an arm tied behind his back due to his credentials, so to speak.

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Maybe other beat reporters feel that way too.  Greg knows salary cap management better than most any NFL full time professional reporter/host/writer.  Eric can break down film better than most of them too.  

lol

Goodness gracious.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

At some point the Bills are going to have to address this. After the Super Bowl XXVIII Atlanta tv station, Bills practice, shovel pass mess- they need to deal with this the right way.

Or play 4d chess and let them tape a play put in only for the tape but run something totally different in that formation in a game.  

Of course, the Bills have control about what gets out there if they want to exercise it.  All they need to do is have closed practices.  Ultimately, I don't think the stuff that gets published by fans on practices reveal all that much about what the Bills will do in the regular season.  

3 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

There are signs clearly showing all around the fences, "No Videotaping Allowed." I don't see how they enforce if you're taping for your own use, but once you post online, credentialed or not, it seems they could come after you and bar you from ever attending camp.

Like you said, they can’t enforce it and they have to know that in 2022 there is zero chance people aren’t going to post video of a public event online 

I have never heard of any fan or spectator that was banned from attending for posting training camp videos open to the public 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

More so he is jealous that he is not allowed by the Bills to match their content.

Thad has an arm tied behind his back due to his credentials, so to speak.

lol

Goodness gracious.

This.  Like other beat reporters he has to follow the rules and cover the Bills the same way that a fan blog like Cover 1 can.  He’s pissed about that 

Edited by JohnNord

6 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

If they do get credentialed they won't be able to post the same detail anymore and you'll see a very similar product to the other media outlets.  

Some of what they would report on would go away but I think there would be a new avenue for them to report on if credentialed. Lose formations and who’s getting starting reps. Gain press conference questions and locker room access in season to ask Xs and Os questions of the players. See the game plan develop over the week and then be able to use that to explain what was happening in the game. That all sounds great to me. 

4 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I don’t think I am seeing them post anything that what is on team website. What they do that credentialed media can’t is say who’s getting first team reps. Thad thinks this is why he can’t get people to listen to him. But it’s really cause he doesn’t know football. I think cover 1 would be great as credentialed media. 

8 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Lots of football fans out there that fall asleep when hearing about Xs and Os. Also they're really aiming for the younger generation Bills Mafia kind of vibe. But it's smart, and that's more than can be said for tools like Thad Brown. That's not a hot take, that's exactly what he is. Football coverage for squares. 

Personally I think Eric is fantastic and the other guy he had on for the QB breakdowns in 2020 was excellent, I think he's on WGR still. Since then there's just too many guys and I have no clue who they are. 

But the vibe on Cover 1 is fresh and not tired and skeptical like Schopp and the like. 

The other guy from QB breakdowns was Nate geary. Yea still WGR to my knowledge but I mostly get him talking to Bruce Nolan on the food for thought pod. Bruce is def worth a listen and those film breakdowns of josh growing were awesome. 

Weird for him to bring it up out of the blue. He was clearly trying to bring negative attention to Cover1. That kind of stuff speaks to character IMO. If he didn't like what they do, he could have reached out to them directly, not that it would matter much. Just seems like a pretty petty thing to do.

soul food cooking GIF by WE tv

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.