Video: Odd take from Bills caller (Jim Kelly > Allen) + Keyshawn "I don't believe Josh Allen is the reason the Bills are in this position..."

BigDingus

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's probably similar to Nick Wright, it gives him a bunch of clicks, though honestly I've started to move past being annoyed by Wright it's become more of a team rivalry thing with the Chiefs at this point.

That guy is still a thing? I thought he crawled back into his hole and is hibernating until his next attempted infestation. 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

"If JA had JK's mind"???  Listening to them talk, I get the strong impression that JA is the smarter of the two.  And, yeah, Kelly called his own plays but I'm going to guess that Allen understands defenses better than Kelly did.  

I'm not ready to crown a new king yet but I think Allen is on a trajectory that leads to the HOF.

If JA had JK'S mind, he'd be blowing it on the night before his first Superbowl on God knows which substances.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So stumbled across this strange clip which has multiple weird takes. One is Keyshawn Johnson saying "I don't believe Josh Allen is the reason that the Buffalo Bills were in the position they were in... I believe it was coaching. I believe it was the acquisition of Diggs through the GM in Brandon Beane..." going on to say he "needs to see more," before he buys into Allen...

Diggs is great. Coaching is great. But how many times are we told "QB is the most important position in all of sports?" Why did Beasley, Brown, and DIGGS all have career years when coming to play with Allen? Even if you only count the last 3 years, why do you "need to see more?" After only 2 years of Mahomes playing, people were sold on him being #1 player in the league, but we need more time to see what kind of player Allen is? He walked off the field having put his team in position to be in back to back AFC championship games, after a flawless playoff run.

Aside from a Super Bowl, what more do you need to see? And if it's only Super Bowl or bust, you're basically disqualifying every young QB in the league.

Part 2 (which comes first in the video): The other take is a 40 year Bills fan calling in just to say Josh Allen doesn't have the "mind" Jim Kelly did, that if JA had JK's mind or JK had JA's athleticism, they'd be unbeatable. Then he wraps it up saying Allen is good, but he's not to Jim's level yet.

My thoughts were "Ok, but why does that even matter?" Jim Kelly isn't playing anymore... He's not competing with Allen. He didn't win a Super Bowl. So even if he's CURRENTLY the best QB in franchise history, his time to add to his legacy is over. Josh has only played 4 years, still has MANY years ahead of him to do things Kelly never could. Why are we comparing his "mind" to Kelly's in 2022? What part of his mind is inferior? I'd say his work ethic may even be superior, so what is it that inspires a fan to call a show just to say Allen isn't as good as a QB from decades ago?

Anyway, just my random rant on this clip that popped up today. Weird stuff from both the fan & Keyshawn imo...

Well, without seeing what others have said, I'll react to both parts.

As to the first part, I agree with Keyshawn, but maybe not in exactly the way Keyshawn meant it.   Put maybe in the simplest way, I believe that Beane and McDermott would be realizing very good to great success wherever they had gone, and that isn't true for Allen.   Allen might have failed, or struggled, or had success, in less highly functional organization.   If Beane hadn't been able to get Allen in the draft, he would have another QB in place now.  The team would look different, and maybe not as good because they have Burrows or the Chargers guy instead of Allen, but Beane and McDermott would have found a way.   It's fortuitous as Bills fans that they were able to identify Josh's full range of talents and find a way to get him in the draft, but if it hadn't been Allen, it would have been someone else.  

Even so, it's pretty silly to say that Allen isn't a huge part of the Bills success. 

As to the second part, I agree with what you say in the sense that it doesn't matter, because Kelly's not playing anymore, not challenging Josh to start.   But I also think the caller's wrong.  I never thought that Kelly was some kind of brilliant strategist and field general.    I mean, I didn't expect Kelly to be outthinking Bart Starr or Tom Brady.    Kelly ran a fairly simple offense with some extraordinary talent around him, and I fully expect that Allen, at this point in his career, is at or nearly at that point.   Allen's certainly smart enough to run the K-Gun.  I'd say give him a year in it, and he'd be better than Kelly ever was.  

What Kelly and Allen really have in common is the physical toughness.  Kelly was a fierce competitor and fighter.   He didn't back down from hits - he enjoyed them.   Allen's like that.   I keep hearing it in things the Bills players say when talking about him.  Steph Diggs says he wouldn't want to tackle him, and it's not just because he's big.   Allen is tough like Kelly was.    

I watched Kelly through all his years, and his best year was probably better than Josh's so far, but Allen already has been superior to Kelly as a playmaker and nearly as good as field general.   Brilliant against both the Pats and the Chiefs in the playoffs last season.   I'd go so far to say that he already is the best QB in the history of the franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

"If JA had JK's mind"???  Listening to them talk, I get the strong impression that JA is the smarter of the two.  And, yeah, Kelly called his own plays but I'm going to guess that Allen understands defenses better than Kelly did.  

I'm not ready to crown a new king yet but I think Allen is on a trajectory that leads to the HOF.

Exactly, there's some things you could argue that Kelly is better than Allen, could argue pound for pound toughness, though Allan is pretty tough himself, but mind is not likely one of them.  Kelly, Marino, if the QB thing didn't work out, neither was enrolling in Med school or pre-law!

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Here's Keyshawn's list in June ranking the scariest QB's.  There's a disconnect between this list and his comments.

FWatN1mXgAIZTnR?format=jpg&name=small

No Brady? Lamar Jackson, who can't throw a football to save his life ahead of Mahomes/Allen who can both run, and throw a football 100x better than Jackson ever could is number one? Too bad the guardian caps weren't around when Keyshawn was playing. He could have used one, or four.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well... that could be because Wright at least showed some kind of sensibility after the Chiefs playoff game when he said Josh Allen terrifies him. Now he talks about Allen as the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the NFL. Once the season starts I'm sure he'll go back to being a Troll though.

I think what Keyshaun said is as dumb as anything Wright ever said. Probably dumber because of his obstinate refusal to consider the last 2 years as evidence.

Keyhole's hatred for anything Buffalo related is well documented. I find his general NFL assessments to be basically comical.

Josh Allen needs a "Monkey Off the Back" moment like Steve Young had to go through in the early 90s.  Unless and until you win the super bowl, people will always be doubters. 

Mahommes has won a Super Bowl, gone to two and ended up a game short in two other AFC Championships.  

If you compare apples to apples,  Allen has fallen short during the same 4 year period

Allen probably had the "TWO" Best b2b playoff games in the league's history and yet that was not enough for him to win the Super Bowl. 

At the end that is how one is perceived - fair or not.  

If you take away the hype,  every year Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers have better statistics than Allen and probably have more wins than Allen.  They have also played in more championship games than Allen (1).

Allen is a GREAT QB and ONE of the best in the current NFL. He needs to become the BEST and win championships.  Until then these second guessing will continue.

McDermott needs to help Allen to get the crown to take that monkey-off-the-back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So stumbled across this strange clip which has multiple weird takes. One is Keyshawn Johnson saying "I don't believe Josh Allen is the reason that the Buffalo Bills were in the position they were in... I believe it was coaching. 

He lost me right here.  Coaching?  COACHING?  THE COACHES CHOKED AWAY THE LOMBARDI TROPHY IN 13 INEXPLICABLE SECONDS!!!  THEY ALSO CALLED TWO TIMEOUTS, SO THE CHOKE WAS EVEN WORSE!!!  

Jesus, Keyshawn Johnson is a *****in' idiot.

• Agree 2

Ridiculous take. Coaching is primarily what prevented a SB win last season.  

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Josh Allen needs a "Monkey Off the Back" moment like Steve Young had to go through in the early 90s.  Unless and until you win the super bowl, people will always be doubters. 

Mahommes has won a Super Bowl, gone to two and ended up a game short in two other AFC Championships.  

If you compare apples to apples,  Allen has fallen short during the same 4 year period

Allen probably had the "TWO" Best b2b playoff games in the league's history and yet that was not enough for him to win the Super Bowl. 

At the end that is how one is perceived - fair or not.  

If you take away the hype,  every year Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers have better statistics than Allen and probably have more wins than Allen.  They have also played in more championship games than Allen (1).

Allen is a GREAT QB and ONE of the best in the current NFL. He needs to become the BEST and win championships.  Until then these second guessing will continue.

McDermott needs to help Allen to get the crown to take that monkey-off-the-back.

Its a team sport. Coaching, special teams, and defense let all let Allen down. 

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.