Ed Kilgore was my Uber driver last night šŸ˜‚

eball

Iā€™ve been in Buffalo this week for a golf tournament at Crag Burnā€¦my buddy and I called an Uber to head back over to the club last night and our driver started talking about Jim Kelly and the Pegulasā€¦after further discussion I asked him how he knew so much and he told us his name. Hilarious. Super nice guy. Heā€™s now 74 and while retired has done some work for the Pegulas and drives for Uber on the side. Ā I should have taken a picture but I didnā€™t want him to think we were making fun.Ā 
Ā 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Iā€™ve been in Buffalo this week for a golf tournament at Crag Burnā€¦my buddy and I called an Uber to head back over to the club last night and our driver started talking about Jim Kelly and the Pegulasā€¦after further discussion I asked him how he knew so much and he told us his name. Hilarious. Super nice guy. Heā€™s now 74 and while retired has done some work for the Pegulas and drives for Uber on the side. Ā I should have taken a picture but I didnā€™t want him to think we were making fun.Ā 
Ā 

I Am!šŸ˜‚

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Uber is a great side job and even full time job for many folks. My elderly neighbor can barely walk but he can still drive his ass off and does Uber just to get out the house. Not saying youā€™re mocking him, but for you to be worried about taking a picture being perceived as ā€œmaking funā€ Ā (combined with your crying laughing emoji in the title) tells me exactly where youā€™re mind was at on it. If he openly admitted who he wasā€¦clearly he isnā€™t ashamed. He probably would have loved to take a fan pic and still feel appreciated.

Ā 

Uber, Lyft, Door Dash etc is all services I use multiple times a week and a respect and salute those who work the services. As an entrepreneur, I actually respect that type of job over one where you complete schedule is controlled by another human beingā€¦and usually one you barely like.Ā 

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow--this guy used to be a VP of East Resources, now having to drive the Uber in his 70's...

It gets him away from his wife for a few hours a day, canā€™t begrudge thatā€¦,šŸ˜

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Ā 

My one interaction with Ed was a phone call I made to him to ask him to address anything he had heard about the Bills compensation for losing Will Wolford to the Colts on air. Ā  Ā As I told him, Ā I thought the silence on that front.......after the other picks had already been doled out by the league......... was a sign that the league was planning to f*ck the Bills.

Ā 

They had given Philly a mid-1st round comp pick for losing Reggie White to GB.........and even Arizona got a 1st round comp pick for merely losing safety Tim McDonald in UFA........whereas the Bills had lost LT Wolford in UFA only because of a loophole(escalator clause) that the league had to rule on and immediately closed........which should have netted the Bills MORE than those other instances.........certainly no less than losing a f*cking safety they just chose not to pay.

Ā 

Ed said he wouldn't even mention it on air until the league announced it and that nobody cared about draft picks. :lol:

Ā 

The league quietly issued the Bills a second round pick late in the process. Ā  Ā Total miscarriage of pick justice. Ā  Ā But at the time the Bills owned the AFC and there was a decided "break up the Bills" vibe with teams like LA Raiders and Miami on the committee handing out the picks. Ā 

Ā 

Nowadays, Ā the prospect of being handed a mid-first round pick by the league would be huge news and the source of daily speculation if the decision was late coming. Ā  A lot has changed. Ā Ā 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Ā 

That's awesome, he always seemed like a great guy to me. Tough for him going up against Rick Azar on ch. 7 and Van Miller on ch.4, I know him more from Bowling For Dollars than the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Are you sure ? I'm surprised a VP would be driving uber.

Ā 

"Kilgore is currently the Vice President of Public Relations for East Management Services LP an independent oil and gas exploration and development company. He and his wife Debbie live in Orchard Park and have a daughter Shannon who currently lives in Geneva Switzerland and is engaged to be married."

Ā 

https://www.buffalosportshallfame.com/member/ed-kilgore/

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ā 

How do you know this?

Who cares why he does it?Ā  Knocking a guy for driver Uber?Ā  What next, fast food + Walmart workers?

Ā 

Talk about looking down on people...WOW..

Ā 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Funny coincidence, meeting Kilgore like that.

Ā 

Honestly, all sorts of folks drive Uber.Ā  I know some lawyers that do it just to chat with folks and decompress for a few hours/week.Ā  Lots of retirees too who drive here and there to add to their vacation funds or grandkids college funds or whatever.Ā  I wouldn't assume anything about a given driver - there's a nonzero chance that they are in a significantly better financial situation than you or I am.Ā  šŸ˜

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Are you sure ? I'm surprised a VP would be driving uber.

Ā 

"Kilgore is currently the Vice President of Public Relations for East Management Services LP an independent oil and gas exploration and development company. He and his wife Debbie live in Orchard Park and have a daughter Shannon who currently lives in Geneva Switzerland and is engaged to be married."

Ā 

https://www.buffalosportshallfame.com/member/ed-kilgore/

Why is driving for Uber only for the peasants?

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Talonz said:

Who cares why he does it?Ā  Knocking a guy for driver Uber?Ā  What next, fast food + Walmart workers?

Ā 

Talk about looking down on people...WOW..

Ā 

Ā 

I wasn't looking down on him. Ā Was feeling for a guy who one would think would be enjoying a well earned retirement. Ā  Maybe it's different in Buffalo, but being an uber driver isn't a job you take at 75 because you like to meet people. Ā It's a rough job in any major city.

Ā 

While some are financially secure and are taking this job out of boredom, many elderly are re-entering the work force for these types of jobs because they are low skill positions that are hiring in numbers and these folks can't live on their pension/retirement these days. Ā It's an unfortunate situation. Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wonder if he does it to meet people and be social or because he is hard up for cash

Some of you people make the worst assumptions about people and frankly it's none of your business.

Ā 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Funny coincidence, meeting Kilgore like that.

Ā 

Honestly, all sorts of folks drive Uber.Ā  I know some lawyers that do it just to chat with folks and decompress for a few hours/week.Ā  Lots of retirees too who drive here and there to add to their vacation funds or grandkids college funds or whatever.Ā  I wouldn't assume anything about a given driver - there's a nonzero chance that they are in a significantly better financial situation than you or I am.Ā  šŸ˜

Ā 

He's picked me up a couple of times.Ā  Ā He mostly works in OP ( where I live ).Ā  Ā  He's a cool guy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I just looked back at my post and donā€™t think Iā€™m disparaging or ā€œlooking downā€ upon Ed. Ā Itā€™s just funny that a guy we all watched for years on WGRZ is now retired and doing some Uber driving on the side to keep himself busy. Ā He seemed very happy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.