Who wins the AFC West?

YoloinOhio

Division winner poll  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFC West?

I’m just not sold on the broncos. Nate Hackett at the helm - not saying he will suck but he’s entirely unproven as a HC. Russ is certainly an improvement at Qb but they seem like a last place team in that division. Their D was decent but that coach is gone, they have some good players but just don’t see it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m just not sold on the broncos. Nate Hackett at the helm - not saying he will suck but he’s entirely unproven as a HC. Russ is certainly an improvement at Qb but they seem like a last place team in that division. Their D was decent but that coach is gone, they have some good players but just don’t see it. 

That makes sense they have the most question marks/moving parts still to nail down.

I’ll go LA, KC, LV, Denver….. with LA, KC and LV making the playoffs…..

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

You’re right. The rest of the division is just better….

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I’ll go LA, KC, LV, Denver….. with LA, KC and LV making the playoffs…..

You’re right. The rest of the division is just better….

What is wrong with you? I literally came to this thread to post them in that order and you completely stole my thunder. I will add that unless Wilson is near MVP level the Broncos have little chance of winning that division 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

4th in the preseason prediction series

already covered: NFC south, nfc north, afc south 

maybe going forward, you might link those other threads, so people can just click and vote withouth having to (egad!) search.

This is no disrespect.  just a thought.  Since i myself had the thought and got lazy about it. 

14 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It will come down to Carr for sure. He's up and down too much for my liking. Not sure how you feel about Carr, but if asking yourself out of each of the QBs in that division which of them do you have least amount of faith in, or more inconsistent? Which would you pick?

Carr put the team on his back last year and won several close games, and it was while working with a weak group of receivers.  Meanwhile, all 3 of the other QBs had elite weapons and 2 of them didn’t make the playoffs including Herbert losing to Carr for a playoff birth while fielding one of the best set of offensive weapons in the whole NFL.

Herbert didn’t win close games (including against Raiders for the playoff birth I just mentioned) and even Mahomes lost some close games.  And Wilson is coming off his worst season in a while. 

Now I totally get where you’re coming from, no one would choose Carr over Mahomes and Herbert, and not many would choose him over Wilson at this stage of his career even.  This includes myself too.  

But, I do think he’s a bit underrated and he was clutch last year with this roster and now for the first time has a pretty wicker set of weapons around him.  

Is he the most talented QB in that division, no.  But QB is only one piece, I mean Tannehill has had success against the Bills not because he’s better than Allen, but the team was able to come together.  Pats were in contention to win the division late last year with a QB no where near Josh’s level.  

So the real question is does one believe Carr is good enough to help that team win games, use those weapons, and win the division.  My answer to that is yes.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

Bills

and drive up the Chargers hype and make the chiefs odds better. Much more balanced team now. I also think the Broncos make the playoffs as a wild card.

16 hours ago, Rampage said:

I think LA has too much talent. Herbert is only going to get better which is scary to think. I think KC has lost too much, don’t have a ton of faith in Carr and Denver I think is the definition of a .500 football team with Wilson

The chargers always have a ton of talent and they choke every year. As stupid as it is, I think their lack of a home field advantage catches up with them.  

Denver takes that division. Chargers never live up to hype, raiders hired “cheater” McDaniels, and KC allowed their main weapon outside of Mahomes to bolt. Denver for the win, and it won’t be close (*due to defense)

• Haha (+1) 1

Chargers  11-6

Chiefs       10-7

Raiders      8-9

Broncos     7-10

I think the Chargers have improved and the Chiefs regressed, tho I think the Chiefs will still grab a Wild Card spot

I'm not impressed with the Raiders and Broncos new HC hires. Offensive coaches from the Bellichick tree haven't had much success and Doug Marrone's little buddy, no.

I think KC takes it again...but clearly I am biased.

I would offer up some thoughts on the other teams -

The Chargers would be the team I'd select as the one most likely to rise up and challenge KC.  They have a nearly complete roster, and between them, the Raiders and Broncos, have the superior QB.  What the Chargers lack - Luck....always suffer too many injuries...and coaching.  Staley underachieved...he was/is a d minded coach and that D couldn't stop anyone last year at all.  Also, the O-Coordinator, Joe Lombardi....isn't a good coach.  He calls short passes as if he was still coaching Drew Brees, when he's got a stallion at QB....Joe isn't creative or original...he did what Sean Payton told him to do and isn't the kind of coach you want to entrust to run your offense on his own.  The coaching staff isn't up to getting the most out of the roster.

The Raiders -  had alot of stuff go their way that is likely to regress to the mean this year.  And their O line is horrible.  They have alot of holes in the secondary...I don't see them going far relying on two good DEs and hoping for Davante Adams to put that O over the top.  

The Broncos....have some decent parts and pieces here and there, but it was a roster with no pro bowlers (yes, that's a popularity contest, but still) ...Wilson is moving the needle, as he should, but he's 33, coming off career lows in rushing yards (by more than half) and not exactly the guy he was a few years ago.  Still really good and will help them....but that O line isn't that good, and the targets a bit overhyped.  Pretty good secondary, but questions in the front 7 all over.  Probably not a playoff team in this division.

And....take it FWIW....my assessment of KC.

They are going to spread the ball out....but more importantly, they want to be able to run effecitvely.  Reid is smart enough to know that if he wants teams to get out of cover 2 shell, then they MUST be able to run and force teams out of it.  They failed at this last year.  The offesne will be fine even though they won't have Hill, who is a unique talent, and as you all know, can make game changing type plays.  He'll be missed.  Kelce is a year older, but still looking like he's got more to give.  Where I think KC is better....is at LB.  Dear God....Anthony Hitchens sucked.  When he was out, and Bolton got to play more...the difference is night and day....just having Hitchens off the team will be huge as Bolton is way way way better.  KC is still lacking star power at the ends and the pass rush is a question mark.  KC also added by subtraction with Dirty Dan Sorenson being allowed to move on.  KC drafted and added and is throwing numbers at the secondary back there but if nothing else, they won't be completely outmatched speed wise like Sorenson was.  Also...I loved Honey Badger, but it was pretty clear that he was making business decisions....OFTEN....last season.  I wish him well.  He was a valuable piece to our title winner....but KC never made an offer to retain him...for good reasons.  

There is plenty here that simply can not and won't be known until the season gets going...but KC still have Ried and Mahomes,....and now know they have LT, LG, C and RG solidly manned, still have Kelce and Chris Jones with some other ascending players.  

I think it's a tough tough division...again with the Chargers being the main threat...and I could see them taking it, and wouldn't blame anyone for thinking they could.  I'll take KC until someone can prove they can knock them off the AFC mountain though.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:17 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Carr put the team on his back last year and won several close games, and it was while working with a weak group of receivers.  Meanwhile, all 3 of the other QBs had elite weapons and 2 of them didn’t make the playoffs including Herbert losing to Carr for a playoff birth while fielding one of the best set of offensive weapons in the whole NFL.

Herbert didn’t win close games (including against Raiders for the playoff birth I just mentioned) and even Mahomes lost some close games.  And Wilson is coming off his worst season in a while. 

Now I totally get where you’re coming from, no one would choose Carr over Mahomes and Herbert, and not many would choose him over Wilson at this stage of his career even.  This includes myself too.  

But, I do think he’s a bit underrated and he was clutch last year with this roster and now for the first time has a pretty wicker set of weapons around him.  

Is he the most talented QB in that division, no.  But QB is only one piece, I mean Tannehill has had success against the Bills not because he’s better than Allen, but the team was able to come together.  Pats were in contention to win the division late last year with a QB no where near Josh’s level.  

So the real question is does one believe Carr is good enough to help that team win games, use those weapons, and win the division.  My answer to that is yes.  

On Carr I am absolutely with you. arr didn't get enough credit for what he did with that team last year. Meh roster, lots of chaos and he kept them fighting, came up clutch against the Colts and the Chargers at the end of the year and they narrowly lost the playoff game to the Bengals.

I am a little lower on the Raiders overall (another wildcard I can see, the division? not sold) but that is largely about the defense which other than their edge rushers I do not rate. Vernon Butler is pencilled in to start at DT, their linebackers are meh and their corners are a real weakness. I'm also not sold on the oline. Kolton Miller is still not good enough IMO and they have some question marks on the interior. Carr and his weapons means I think they will be competitive again. But they are gonna have to out score teams most weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

KC until proven otherwise; they still have the best QB and best HC in the division.

Chargers are the popular pick but unless Staley gets a lot better he’s holding them back.  And people criticize McD’s game day management!  There is also this assumption that Herbert gets better, but that’s not a given.  I typically don’t buy into the “snake bitten” argument but it’s hard to look past the Chargers’ run of bad luck.  This team should compete for the division title and make the playoffs but I have no confidence in them.

I throw the Raiders and Broncos into a hat to determine who finishes 3rd/4th.  Raiders were a nice gutty story last year and Carr likely swayed a lot of his detractors; the addition of Adams is no joke and McDaniels is a proven play caller.  I don’t love their D outside of the pass rush, and in a QB-driven AFC that’s a big issue.  Denver should have a much improved offense for obvious reasons, and the RB is legit.  Their “no name” defense is also very good.

3rd place finisher in this division will be in a nail biter for a WC spot.

• Agree 1

I am going with the Chargers, just ahead of the Chiefs and it comes down to schedule. The Buccs, the Bills and the Chargers vs the Browns, Dolphins and Falcons. I think it is those finishing place dependant matchups that tip it in LA's favour. I have them within a game of each other but the Chargers winning the division and KC in 2nd. 

I voted for the Chiefs.   The demise of the Chiefs is a bit premature because they still have the best HC and the best QB not to mention they still have at least as much talent as any of their rivals.  They are a talented, experienced team under one of the great coaches in the game that knows how to win important games.

The rest of the AFC West teams have added shiny new pieces but it remains to be seen if the new players and new coaches can perform up to the preseason hype. 

Broncos. 

Russ has the most talent on offense that he's ever had, imo, the best 1-2 punch in the league at RB and a defense that gave up the 3rd fewest points in the league a season ago.  

On 7/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, Process said:

I don't know but I'm pretty confident that the Broncos are the worst team in that division. Don't get the hype at all. 

Russell, Sutton, Juedy, Williams/Gordon at RB and a pretty good defense.  

People are going to get a swift reminder of just how good Courtland Sutton is this season.  

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.