Hopewell QB Commits to UB

H2o

The city we live in, as small as it may be, keeps producing some quality athletes and young men all around.  Darrell Taylor, TreVeyon Henderson, Keyshawn Henderson (TreVeyon's younger brother on the come up), and now Mason Cumbie has committed to the University of Buffalo. He's an extremely athletic young man, who can also sling the rock. He'll be a dual threat for the Bulls no doubt. 

FB_IMG_1659177490163.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, H2o said:

The city we live in, as small as it may be, keeps producing some quality athletes and young men all around.  Darrell Taylor, TreVeyon Henderson, Keyshawn Henderson (TreVeyon's younger brother on the come up), and now Mason Cumbie has committed to the University of Buffalo. He's an extremely athletic young man, who can also sling the rock. He'll be a dual threat for the Bulls no doubt. 

FB_IMG_1659177490163.jpg

Had seasons at UB since day 1

when can this kid become a starter?

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Had seasons at UB since day 1

when can this kid become a starter?

I'll post updates as I watch the games this year and give an honest opinion of how he's looking on the field. He's definitely got talent and solid arm strength.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'll post updates as I watch the games this year and give an honest opinion of how he's looking on the field. He's definitely got talent and solid arm strength.  

Thank you

I remember you were big on Henderson early

Keep us updated

• Like (+1) 1

That's exciting news.  Mo Linguist's rep is in recruiting. I hope they both stick around a while, but I suspect Mo's recent extension was to boost his buyout number, hence Mark Allnut expects him to be moving on soon. As long as he gives us a winner of I'm resigned to "the mid major cycle."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 7/31/2022 at 1:36 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

That's exciting news.  Mo Linguist's rep is in recruiting. I hope they both stick around a while, but I suspect Mo's recent extension was to boost his buyout number, hence Mark Allnut expects him to be moving on soon. As long as he gives us a winner of I'm resigned to "the mid major cycle."

1 minute ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night was the first time I had the chance to see Hopewell and Mason play this year due to my work schedule. Hopewell had a bit of a shaky start to their season, losing the first two games against two of the best teams in the state. I also think I understand why after watching them. They have shifted from a run first offense to more of a Spread/RPO scheme. Now they have reeled of three wins in a row. Last night was a 46-0 drubbing of Colonial Heights. 

First off, Mason is MUCH improved as a passer. I can tell he's really been putting in work. I don't know what his official numbers were, but he made some really nice throws to all levels of the field. He had a Post he threw for a 23 yard touchdown that was an absolute dart and hit his WR right between the numbers. He threw the ball from about the 30 yard line and the WR was about 5 yards in the endzone when it hit him. It was on a rope and there in a heartbeat. There was a play where a WR ran a Post Corner route, he threw the ball with perfect timing, perfect touch, and it was a beautiful 37 yard gain. They also had him getting the ball out of his hands quickly of some WR screen plays. He missed a couple of those, but it was more about him not setting up properly. He also had three tight window throws that were really nice. One was a Slant on a 5 yard TD where he fit the ball in, the WR made a heck of a catch, and held onto the ball after a big hit. He hit a couple WR's who ran nice Curl routes with perfect timing. He threw a couple of nice Out routes. He can still run, and has excellent speed, but I only saw him take off about 5 times last night. All in all it was a solid performance. He threw the ball 20+ times and I only saw 5-7 incompletions I think. You can tell he's playing with a lot more confidence. If he continues to make improvements, and take steps forward like he has from last year to this year, then Buffalo may have a special kid on their hands. 

Side note: Mason's favorite WR is a young man named Cortez Cheatham. Cheatham plays both WR and CB. This kid is special too. He was on the receiving end of a lot of those passes. He's the one who caught the Slant for the TD and the Post Corner. Not sure where he has offers from, but he's got a real shot to make an impact at the next level as well. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Last night was the first time I had the chance to see Hopewell and Mason play this year due to my work schedule. Hopewell had a bit of a shaky start to their season, losing the first two games against two of the best teams in the state. I also think I understand why after watching them. They have shifted from a run first offense to more of a Spread/RPO scheme. Now they have reeled of three wins in a row. Last night was a 46-0 drubbing of Colonial Heights. 

First off, Mason is MUCH improved as a passer. I can tell he's really been putting in work. I don't know what his official numbers were, but he made some really nice throws to all levels of the field. He had a Post he threw for a 23 yard touchdown that was an absolute dart and hit his WR right between the numbers. He threw the ball from about the 30 yard line and the WR was about 5 yards in the endzone when it hit him. It was on a rope and there in a heartbeat. There was a play where a WR ran a Post Corner route, he threw the ball with perfect timing, perfect touch, and it was a beautiful 37 yard gain. They also had him getting the ball out of his hands quickly of some WR screen plays. He missed a couple of those, but it was more about him not setting up properly. He also had three tight window throws that were really nice. One was a Slant on a 5 yard TD where he fit the ball in, the WR made a heck of a catch, and held onto the ball after a big hit. He hit a couple WR's who ran nice Curl routes with perfect timing. He threw a couple of nice Out routes. He can still run, and has excellent speed, but I only saw him take off about 5 times last night. All in all it was a solid performance. He threw the ball 20+ times and I only saw 5-7 incompletions I think. You can tell he's playing with a lot more confidence. If he continues to make improvements, and take steps forward like he has from last year to this year, then Buffalo may have a special kid on their hands. 

Side note: Mason's favorite WR is a young man named Cortez Cheatham. Cheatham plays both WR and CB. This kid is special too. He was on the receiving end of a lot of those passes. He's the one who caught the Slant for the TD and the Post Corner. Not sure where he has offers from, but he's got a real shot to make an impact at the next level as well. 

Awesome thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight Hopewell had their Homecoming game against the 6-0, #3 in the state, Thomas Dale Knights. It was a rough game for Mason. He had a couple of nice throws, but only completed about 50% of his passes. He had guys open, but the OL really struggled against the Thomas Dale defensive front. He was under constant pressure all night. Most of his damage this game was actually with his legs. He had about 80 yards rushing and a TD on the ground. Also had around 150 yards passing and a TD. Most of that came on a 35 yard catch and run in the 4th where the WR slipped a tackle, then was able to weave into the endzone. Hopewell lost 41-12. 

The Thomas Dale QB is a kid named Ethan Minter. He's only a Junior, but that young man is something else. He had around 250 yards passing and 150 yards rushing, with 4 total TD's. He looks like he has the potential to be special. He looks to have 4.5-4.6 speed to go along with a rocket arm. He threw a 50 yard pass tonight that you couldn't have run up and handed to a WR better. They run an RPO offense as well. Every decision he made was the correct one. He knew when to let the RB take the ball. He knew when to pull it back and run himself. He knew when to hit the underneath routes. He knew when to take his shots. I only saw 3 incompletions in 20-25 passes. 

Final note on the evening. Kesean Henderson is NOT TreVeyon Henderson, nor will he ever be. Kesean has speed, but not TreVeyon speed. Kesean has some agility, but not TreVeyon agility. Kesean doesn't have the same vision TreVeyon had at his age either. Kesean also doesn't have the same acceleration. He's still only a Junior and has the chance to improve, but right now he's looking like more of a lower end 3 star talent instead of a 4 or 5 star talent. That's just me being honest.

Edited by H2o

21 hours ago, H2o said:

Tonight Hopewell had their Homecoming game against the 6-0, #3 in the state, Thomas Dale Knights. It was a rough game for Mason. He had a couple of nice throws, but only completed about 50% of his passes. He had guys open, but the OL really struggled against the Thomas Dale defensive front. He was under constant pressure all night. Most of his damage this game was actually with his legs. He had about 80 yards rushing and a TD on the ground. Also had around 150 yards passing and a TD. Most of that came on a 35 yard catch and run in the 4th where the WR slipped a tackle, then was able to weave into the endzone. Hopewell lost 41-12. 

The Thomas Dale QB is a kid named Ethan Minter. He's only a Junior, but that young man is something else. He had around 250 yards passing and 150 yards rushing, with 4 total TD's. He looks like he has the potential to be special. He looks to have 4.5-4.6 speed to go along with a rocket arm. He threw a 50 yard pass tonight that you couldn't have run up and handed to a WR better. They run an RPO offense as well. Every decision he made was the correct one. He knew when to let the RB take the ball. He knew when to pull it back and run himself. He knew when to hit the underneath routes. He knew when to take his shots. I only saw 3 incompletions in 20-25 passes. 

Final note on the evening. Kesean Henderson is NOT TreVeyon Henderson, nor will he ever be. Kesean has speed, but not TreVeyon speed. Kesean has some agility, but not TreVeyon agility. Kesean doesn't have the same vision TreVeyon had at his age either. Kesean also doesn't have the same acceleration. He's still only a Junior and has the chance to improve, but right now he's looking like more of a lower end 3 star talent instead of a 4 or 5 star talent. That's just me being honest.

Looked him up.  Lost his dad to COVID a year ago.  Has Offers from Marshall, Virginia and Maryland as of February.  Wants to study engineering and looks to aim higher with visits to ND, Penn State planned.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Looked him up.  Lost his dad to COVID a year ago.  Has Offers from Marshall, Virginia and Maryland as of February.  Wants to study engineering and looks to aim higher with visits to ND, Penn State planned.

Sad about the young man's father, but awesome he has some big time visits coming up. You can definitely tell he's got something about him on the field, an it factor so to speak, that not many others have. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.